Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Can I run GTA 4 with GeForce FX 5200 256MB PCI Graphics Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 25, 2010 2:44:08 AM

Im trying to play GTA 4, which I bought for $20 and could not run do to my video card, the factory one that came with it. I have a Dell, and all of my requirements meet what I need except the video card. So, I want to know if I can run it with: GeForce FX 5200 256MB PCI Graphics Card, cuase it is only $35 dollars at Best Buy? My goal is to not spend a ton more than I bought the game for, I made a bad assumption that since I bought my computer well after GTA 4 came out it would work on it.

Best solution

January 25, 2010 3:03:30 AM

If I remember correctly the FX5200 is only good for playing videos. Its useless as a 3D card. Get an HD 4670 or better. You might be able to get by with a 7600GT. They are going for like $15 used on ebay.
Share
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 3:44:58 AM

A 4670 512Mb would be enough to run GTA4 at lowest settings...You should get it around $70
Score
0
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 3:55:08 AM

ok, i don't mean to be an ass, but in order to play newer games you need to spend a little money

+1 sayantan, though we don't know the rest of his specs, for all we know he could be running a P4 w/ HT (makes it look like a dual core)
Score
0
a c 189 U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 4:25:22 AM

U pick a wrong game, buddy...
GTA 4 is a very demanding resources, what should i called it....
U must have a great component to be able to play that game...

What about the rest of your specs?
Score
0
a c 361 U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 5:53:30 AM

Typically just meeting minimum requirements = minimum enjoyment...
Score
0
a c 106 U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 2:28:22 PM

^+1

Yeah. I started seeing that was true back when I was hanging on to my GF3 TI 200 a little longer than I should have. Was in my main rig till I finally got a 1950GT AGP for my ol Athlon 3000. One thing I don't miss about college, lack of funds :D .

Anyway, sorry, but a GeForce FX 5200 is crap for games. If you have a rather new computer, the onboard graphics are likely faster than the GeForce FX 5200 you are thinking of installing.
Score
0
a c 189 U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 3:15:36 PM

Quote:
FX5200 is a piece of sh#t.
You can't play on it anything except counter-stricke and old games.

If You Want To Play GTA Build a system at least Core 2 duo&9800gt


I would say at least Core 2 Quad... :) 
Score
0
January 25, 2010 3:16:17 PM

jaguarskx said:
Typically just meeting minimum requirements = minimum enjoyment...


but minimum enjoyment > no enjoyment. :kaola: 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 3:16:37 PM

Quote:
FX5200 is a piece of sh#t.
You can't play on it anything except counter-stricke and old games.

If You Want To Play GTA Build a system at least Core 2 duo&9800gt


Actually for good GTA 4 gameplay a quad-core will be better. :kaola: 
Score
0
January 25, 2010 3:23:41 PM

hallowed_dragon said:
Actually for good GTA 4 gameplay a quad-core will be better. :kaola: 


why stop there? why not crossfire 3 5970's, get a 1500W PSU and a liquid nitrogen cooled core i7. If you are gonna blow his budget anyway do it with style.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 3:27:27 PM

fafner said:
why stop there? why not crossfire 3 5970's, get a 1500W PSU and a liquid nitrogen cooled core i7. If you are gonna blow his budget anyway do it with style.


Yap. I totally agree. But, offtopic my reply was merely redirected to the troll here which keeps appearing in some threads with comments like : 'your system SUCKS' or '<whatever> is a piece of sh#t'.
And also, you can't X-fire 3 5970's. :D 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 3:27:39 PM

GTA4 and weak GPU's don't mix......

You want game, you will need to shell out a bit more cash.....
Score
0
January 25, 2010 9:29:01 PM

GTA 4 is a very crappy port. I had an HD 4850, and I could only play GTA 4 on medium settings. Add all the bugs and crashes, and I gave up GTA 4 after one day.
Score
0
January 25, 2010 9:30:18 PM

Yes you can play GTA4 with a FX 5200 but you ain't going to like it....

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Score
0
January 25, 2010 9:30:39 PM

i have hd 4670 1GB and i can play gta 4 maximum with amd phenom 2 X3 720 with 20-35 frames at 1280x1024, so it is a great card but needs a strong processor to feel its true power .....
Score
0
January 25, 2010 9:31:29 PM

Glacier said:
GTA 4 is a very crappy port. I had an HD 4850, and I could only play GTA 4 on medium settings. Add all the bugs and crashes, and I gave up GTA 4 after one day.


wow. I heard they did a half-assed job porting it, but I didn't know it's THAT bad.
Score
0
January 25, 2010 9:39:07 PM

dualblade said:
i have hd 4670 1GB and i can play gta 4 maximum with amd phenom 2 X3 720 with 20-35 frames at 1280x1024, so it is a great card but needs a strong processor to feel its true power .....


did you OC your phenom? I wonder if an OCed x2 is good enough.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 10:00:21 PM

At 1280x1024 any game will perform well even if the hardware is not up to par. The issue is at 1680x 1050 and above... I agree as to the game being the worst ported console title on PC. I played it at a friends house and got steered away, thankfully..... GTA4 was made to be played on a console not a PC.....
Score
0
January 26, 2010 12:59:50 PM

Best answer selected by trevline06.
Score
0
January 26, 2010 1:08:27 PM

mindless728 said:
ok, i don't mean to be an ass, but in order to play newer games you need to spend a little money

+1 sayantan, though we don't know the rest of his specs, for all we know he could be running a P4 w/ HT (makes it look like a dual core)



If I were going to spend a chunk of change on a video card to play a game, I would just go buy a PS3 or a Xbox 360. I understand it is a very large game, I have all the components necessary, like I said I just need a video card to meet up with the requirements, and I figure the game came out 2 years ago, so how demanding can it be for a new computer.

P.S. And don't be a jerk off like so many quotes I see on this website about how the guy asking a question doesn't know anything about computers, why would I be asking if I had the knowledge.
Score
0
January 26, 2010 1:23:20 PM

fafner said:
If I remember correctly the FX5200 is only good for playing videos. Its useless as a 3D card. Get an HD 4670 or better. You might be able to get by with a 7600GT. They are going for like $15 used on ebay.


Thanks for the info, I'll check the specs to make sure. I don't care that much about graphics, if I got to run at a lower quality that's fine, just don't want it freezing on me. I enjoyed the hell out of san andeas and the graphics on that kinda suck.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2010 1:38:04 PM

trevline06 said:
If I were going to spend a chunk of change on a video card to play a game, I would just go buy a PS3 or a Xbox 360. I understand it is a very large game, I have all the components necessary, like I said I just need a video card to meet up with the requirements, and I figure the game came out 2 years ago, so how demanding can it be for a new computer.

P.S. And don't be a jerk off like so many quotes I see on this website about how the guy asking a question doesn't know anything about computers, why would I be asking if I had the knowledge.


Well you picked the wrong game, it's an old title that has major flaws regardless of the system you use unless you build a 5k machine specifically for GTA4.

mindless728 is 100% correct, if you want GAME you need to save up for a GPU that is up to the task. The 5200 is great for games like pac-man and frogger ;)  , but when it comes to games that require a beefed up GPU you have to ask yourself if it is worth the extra cash or not. IMO spending a chunk of cash just to be able to play GTA4 is ridiculous.

If you would have done a bit of research, youtube for example, you would have seen where people are buying 5870's and 5970's just to get the game to play at respectable frames with eye-candy enabled.


Score
0
January 26, 2010 6:45:40 PM

OvrClkr said:
Well you picked the wrong game, it's an old title that has major flaws regardless of the system you use unless you build a 5k machine specifically for GTA4.

mindless728 is 100% correct, if you want GAME you need to save up for a GPU that is up to the task. The 5200 is great for games like pac-man and frogger ;)  , but when it comes to games that require a beefed up GPU you have to ask yourself if it is worth the extra cash or not. IMO spending a chunk of cash just to be able to play GTA4 is ridiculous.

If you would have done a bit of research, youtube for example, you would have seen where people are buying 5870's and 5970's just to get the game to play at respectable frames with eye-candy enabled.


well put. I had a feeling it might give me these issues, with this advice i will probably say f it. Thanks.
Score
0
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2010 4:01:17 AM

rsmith13 said:
Yes you can play GTA4 with a FX 5200 but you ain't going to like it....

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

why?
Score
0
a c 272 U Graphics card
October 2, 2010 4:24:30 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!