Sign in with
Your question

Need Help Getting Past Campus Bandwidth Cap

Last response: in Networking
January 7, 2010 10:44:54 PM

Hello all, I've been having this dilemma since my first term here at Western Oregon University. The bandwidth in my dorm room is.... pathetic. I get a cap of 110 kB/s in my room downloading when I know the schools' ISP (Oregon State System of Higher Learning) has been rated at 23.02 Mbps. I p2p later at night (2am - 10am or so) and I'm trying to get a faster speed.

In each room we have a 3com switch that's screwed into the wall. It has 4 ethernet ports on the left side, and one on its face, which apparently we're not supposed to use for whatever reason.

Now I was wondering if I could somehow take the internet from 2 of these ports on the 3com thing, or if there's just a single ethernet port behind this 3com thing, if I could take it out of the wall and just put a 4 port hub on it so I'd theoretically get 440 kBs to my room.

I am using a laptop so I can't do anything with multiple network cards. I'd be willing to spend up to $200 on some equipment if I needed to.

If you need any more details to answer my question(s) just ask. If any of my ideas have flaws please feel free to correct me, I'm just desperate for a better connection here, they're holding out on me, I know it.

Thanks in advance
January 7, 2010 10:54:54 PM

It doesn't work that way. There is a port on a router/switch on your campus that feeds the 4 port switch in your room. It's just an ethernet port. The campus router/switch will monitor their port so that no mac address will exceed their limitation set. You are stuck with the 110. If you are allowed to get cable or a DSL connection installed in your dorm (which I doubt), you could have the speed you desire.
January 7, 2010 11:20:46 PM

There wouldn't be a way to have 4 different devices w/ separate mac addresses running at the 110 and somehow combining them?

Right now my laptop's mac is mimicking my xbox 360's. I registered my 360 with the campus IT people so they would give it an exception so it wouldn't require "Cisco Clean Access Agent" (anti-p2p program).
!