Sign in with
Your question

2 beeps - Parity cannot be reset

Last response: in Memory
September 4, 2010 1:04:36 AM

I am getting 2 beeps on startup followed by an on screen message saying boot failure, system haulted. After this there's nothing I can do. The 2 beeps indicate "Parity cannot be reset" according to the documentation for my Intel D845HV motherboard.

I've tried reseating the ram, booting with each individual stick, resetting the BIOS, and using a new battery.
None of these attempts have yielded a solution.

If anyone has any input I would appreciate it greatly because I am stumped.

More about : beeps parity reset

a b } Memory
September 4, 2010 1:40:26 AM

Welcome newcomer. The most common parity error is the result of incorrect memory. Will you please post the rest of your components?
m
l
September 4, 2010 1:50:06 AM

let me clarify, this is actually an older PC that has been working with minimal difficulty for a long time, so it's not a compatibility issue.

But therein lies 1Gb of SDRAM, a 1.7Ghz P4 processor, a 64Mb Radeon GPU.

Mainly I'm hoping that this isn't an unfixable mobo issue requiring a new one.
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
September 4, 2010 5:26:42 AM

Getting beeps is a good sign right now. Test the RAM with MemTest86+ . Download the .zip with .iso file. Burn this disc image to cd. Pop the disc into the troubled computer. Turn on and the test will run itself.
m
l
September 4, 2010 1:20:49 PM

T_T said:
Getting beeps is a good sign right now. Test the RAM with MemTest86+ . Download the .zip with .iso file. Burn this disc image to cd. Pop the disc into the troubled computer. Turn on and the test will run itself.

Thanks you, I'll definitely use that in the future if I believe I'm having RAM problems. However, I have an update on my issue which I think the rules out the RAM.

Right before the "System Haulted" message was actually another message that flashed on screen for about .5 seconds. After a few boot ups I was able to discern:

Set CMOS date and time (I had changed the battery so I suppose that's why)
keyboard error

So I plugged in the keyboard and booted up, and was able to access the BIOS to set the date and time. Now when I boot up, I get the same system haulted message however only ONE beep.

The manual says this is a "refresh failure"
m
l
September 4, 2010 2:59:50 PM

Update: ran the memory test just to make sure, it reported no errors.

Also, I am able to access the BIOS by moving the bios jumper over 1 pin and booting. My hard disk isn't showing up as a potential boot device which seems fishy.

m
l
January 15, 2011 10:16:12 PM

I'm having the same issue as you except I'm "building" a new computer...kinda. New mobo, used memory, uncertain cmos battery status (sometimes comes up ok, sometimes says its low). :cry: 

Anyway, did you figure out the issue or did anyone help you off-website with an answer?
m
l
!