Why are CPU's at Microcenter so cheap?

Okay guys upgrade time. I read other people talking about Micro-center and how you could get an I7 920 for less than $200. So I went online and they only have the I7 930 for less than $200!! Awesome deal. Almost too awesome.

My question is this. I don't buy from Fry's because I understand that a lot of their electronics are second-hand refurbished stuff. I'd would never buy a CPU,GFX card, Ram there.

So I'm wondering is Micro-center the same? How are they able to sell their CPU's on average for $100 less than everywhere else? Are they like Fry's?

How has everyone's overclocks gone on their I7's from Micro-center? Are they good batches in general?

Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about microcenter cheap
  1. Fry sells new like everyone else, if it is second hand it will be sold as open box.
  2. Microcenter sells at a loss on the cpu, but require you to come in store in hopes that you'll spend a bunch of money on other things.
  3. loneninja said:
    Microcenter sells at a loss on the cpu, but require you to come in store in hopes that you'll spend a bunch of money on other things.

I never walk into microcenter and just come out with what I went there for I am like a kid in a candy shop in that store.
  4. A lot of their sales last about a week. And then, the prices go back up, yet many are still very low compared to other places.

I upgraded my system there for $250 about a month ago. I got an AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE for $99 along with my Gigabyte MB for $37 (they took off $25 because I purchased an AMD CPU) and then $90 for 4gb of DDR2800G Memory.

Of course, about 2 weeks later, the motherboard I purchased was being given away for free if you purchased an AMD CPU. Now, you get $30 off of an AMD motherboard when you purchase an AMD CPU, but they aren't selling them at the price I purchased them at. They are about $20 higher.

You just have to check up on them weekly because every week, they have some sort of sale. I'm really tempted to get a 1.5 TB SATA drive for $99. I really have to hold back on that one. I've spent too much already!
  5. OKay so nothing too crazy going on there. Good to know.
  6. Forgot to mention, they also limit it to 1 cpu per household, so no going in and buying 10 I7's to resell for profit.
  7. loneninja said:
    Microcenter sells at a loss on the cpu, but require you to come in store in hopes that you'll spend a bunch of money on other things.

No. Factory seconds.

Kidding. :D

Maybe I shouldn't joke about something like that. Someone might take me seriously, and that's how rumors get started.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7 Product