Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

8600gts sli setup upgrade on a dell xps 710

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Dell Studio Xps
  • Windows Vista
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
January 25, 2010 7:47:25 AM

Hi there.

I want to start by making it obvious that I am no expert at all with overclocking and don't really feel comfortable thinking about that as an option.

At the moment I have an XPS 710 with the following specs -

1 LIST D06XP5V - XPS 710
1 DIMENSION XPS 710 CORE 2 DUO PROCESSOR E
1 ENGLISH - XPS 710 SYSTEM DOCS (UK POWER
1 DIMENSION RESOURCE DVD FOR VISTA (DIAGNO
1 MEMORY DUAL-CHANNEL 4096MB [4X1024] 667M
1 HARD DRIVE 750GB SERIAL ATA NON RAID (72
1 VIDEO CARD DUAL 256MB NVIDIA 8600GTS
1 SOUND BLASTER X-FI XTREME - VISTA ONLY
1 ENGLISH WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM

I have a 24" widescreen dell monitor which i use at full quality.

Now if you require any other info I'm happy to dig it out if you can tell me how :)  The PC was bought in 2007 nearly the end of the year.

I play fps's and mmo's, i want to use fraps but atm my pc doesn't seem to want to do that

I guess what i am hoping for is to replace the GPU's with something a little more modern that doesn't break the bank. I did some sort of benchmark and it told me the mother board is an sli ready board, not sure if this is good or bad news.

I don't even know if i have to go sli, maybe there are cards i could just buy a solo card that is better than both the cards i have presently. I am from the uk and am looking at the website http://www.overclockers.co.uk maybe this makes a difference to cards that might be suggested for an upgrade.

I thank you all in advance for the time you take its really appreciated

More about : 8600gts sli setup upgrade dell xps 710

January 25, 2010 8:26:57 AM

860GTS SLI wont be of much help. If you have a decent budget then i guess you should sell off the card and get a Hd5xxx card. I could have said a HD5770, but don't thing the HD5770 would be able to do justice to a 24 inch screen!
January 25, 2010 8:29:22 AM

Ah maybe i was confusing you, the current setup is duel 8600gts, and i was wondering what would be good for an upgrade, as in not cause a bottleneck but also give me a nice boost.
Related resources
January 25, 2010 8:36:50 AM

An upgrade would be good! I only see an "E" in your processor model number. Could let us know which one is it. I would say HD5850 would be sweet!
January 25, 2010 10:24:52 AM

Just went into the bios and found this info for mem and mobo

Intel core2 duo 6700 @ 2.66mhz L2 cache 4mb bus speed 1066mhz
memory (ram) 667mhz ddr2 sdram

I see most ppl recommend radeon based cards instead of nvidia, I have only ever had nvidia and the motherboard seems to indicate it's nvidia sli ready would this present an issue if i bought a radeon based card, I was also trying to keep the price of the card under ₤150 if thats possible.

Could someone tell me why the radeon seem more favourable or maybe link me to some sort of comparison.

Again thank you for your time.
January 25, 2010 10:43:09 AM

If HD5850 is available at that price get it! OC your processor a little!
January 25, 2010 11:31:29 AM

Unfortunately the hd5850 seems to clock in at about £240 + and thats a little out of my range which is a shame, so I am now looking at the 5770. what do you guys/girls think of this card

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 Vapor-X 1024MB

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX...
a c 222 Î Nvidia
January 25, 2010 7:25:48 PM

hell_storm2004 said:
If HD5850 is available at that price get it! OC your processor a little!

£150 for a 5850!! [:mousemonkey:5]
a c 222 Î Nvidia
January 25, 2010 7:30:07 PM

krisdl said:
Unfortunately the hd5850 seems to clock in at about £240 + and thats a little out of my range which is a shame, so I am now looking at the 5770. what do you guys/girls think of this card

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 Vapor-X 1024MB

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX...

This is a couple of quid more and although not DX11 compliant is still a stronger card than the 5770.
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1GB-ScanFX-HD-4890-PCI-E-20-3900MHz-GDDR5-GPU-850MHz-800-Cores-2x-DVI-HDTV-HDCP-plus-Stormrise
January 25, 2010 7:44:31 PM

The 5830 is in the process of launching in the US.(Feb 5) It should be between the 5770 and 5850 in power. (closer to 5850) It will replace the 4890's price point-- and will be a lower energy, dx 11 card that should be perfect for you.

I'm not certain when it will be available in Europe though... Does anyone else?

It would be worth waiting for I think. I'm not certain what power supply you have, but a 4890 is kind of a big hot energy-sucking beast.
a c 222 Î Nvidia
January 25, 2010 7:54:55 PM

deadlockedworld said:
The 5830 is in the process of launching in the US.(Feb 5) It should be between the 5770 and 5850 in power. (closer to 5850) It will replace the 4890's price point-- and will be a lower energy, dx 11 card that should be perfect for you.

I'm not certain when it will be available in Europe though... Does anyone else?

It would be worth waiting for I think. I'm not certain what power supply you have, but a 4890 is kind of a big hot energy-sucking beast.

I don't do Ati cards but according to the Ati faithful only Nvidia do the 'big hot energy-sucking beast' of a card.
January 25, 2010 8:06:24 PM

haha.. well I didn't recommend a Nvidia card did I? :-)
a c 222 Î Nvidia
January 25, 2010 8:10:02 PM

I never said nor implied that you did.
January 25, 2010 10:02:53 PM

Mousemonkey said:
This is a couple of quid more and although not DX11 compliant is still a stronger card than the 5770.
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1GB-ScanFX-HD-4890-PCI-E-20-3900MHz-GDDR5-GPU-850MHz-800-Cores-2x-DVI-HDTV-HDCP-plus-Stormrise


Mouse monkey thank you for your reply, ic ouldnt quite see how the card is better, sorry i am a nubet when it somes to spec's, but i will take a closer look tomorrow when my eyes are not so blurry, dx11 tbh i don't think is a great need right now for me but if it comes with the card for a good price then it might be worth it.
January 25, 2010 10:04:11 PM

deadlockedworld said:
The 5830 is in the process of launching in the US.(Feb 5) It should be between the 5770 and 5850 in power. (closer to 5850) It will replace the 4890's price point-- and will be a lower energy, dx 11 card that should be perfect for you.

I'm not certain when it will be available in Europe though... Does anyone else?

It would be worth waiting for I think. I'm not certain what power supply you have, but a 4890 is kind of a big hot energy-sucking beast.


Deadlock ty also for your reply, Im going to look into this card and see what I can find out about it but as i said to mouse it will wait till tmorrow cause my eyes are blurry :) 
a c 222 Î Nvidia
January 25, 2010 10:10:55 PM

krisdl said:
Mouse monkey thank you for your reply, ic ouldnt quite see how the card is better, sorry i am a nubet when it somes to spec's, but i will take a closer look tomorrow when my eyes are not so blurry, dx11 tbh i don't think is a great need right now for me but if it comes with the card for a good price then it might be worth it.

Here's a linky for you.
January 25, 2010 10:32:10 PM

Mouse ty for the link, I tried t resist looking more nto this before sleep got me but couldn't, I am looking at this card seriously now, but, i went to this card compare website, and from I can see the 5770 has better numbers than the 4890 but from what I could tell the 4890 is a 256mbit bandwidth card and the 5770 is 128mbit, is this why the 4890 is so much better?

I am wondering if my PC will take this or will it be lost in a bottleneck as my pc is not one of these new i7 chips.

P.S. I just noticed also the 4890 has a much bigger power draw http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=608&card2..., why are these things never simple :)