Sign in with
Your question

PhysX dedicated card with 5870?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 25, 2010 10:48:32 AM

Hello,
I recently ordered a 9500GT CUDA which is a cheap solution for a PhysX dedicated card. The problem is, is there a good walkthrough how to set it up to work with my 5870? I know that i need nvidia 186 or sth driver version but i am not sure how to set it up exactly. Searched the forum a bit and didn't find anything. Will google it aswell but any help would be appreciated!
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 8:15:27 PM

You need to DL the 186XX drivers, then you need to DL the latest Catalyst drivers. Once that is done you go into the nvidia control panel and make sure phsyX is enabled....cross your fingers and you should be good to go....

If you get an error then it is most likely you DL'ed the wrong Nvidia drivers....
a c 217 U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 8:27:17 PM

Here is a guide that I have used to do this setup with a 5870 and 9800gt:
http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-general/633137-...

If you have a 2nd monitor you plan to use for an extended desktop, you can skp step 2, and just plug your 2nd monitor to it. Otherwise, their solution should cost about $1 for the resisters.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 8:36:45 PM

bystander said:
Here is a guide that I have used to do this setup with a 5870 and 9800gt:
http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-general/633137-...

If you have a 2nd monitor you plan to use for an extended desktop, you can skp step 2, and just plug your 2nd monitor to it. Otherwise, their solution should cost about $1 for the resisters.

thx for the feedback, I knew I was missing something ;) 
a c 217 U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 8:44:44 PM

Your way might have worked too. I do not know how far back you have to go in Nvidia drivers, but if you do have old enough Nvidia drivers, they don't have an issue either. Of course the GenL patch will work with new drivers, so that is a plus. You also have to have a monitor plugged into it, or a fake monitor, as that guide shows you how to do.
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 8:49:56 PM

Well it worked a while back when I had a 4870 and a 9800GT, this was like 6/7 months ago... It was a bit easier since I had a dual monitor setup... No need for the resisters =)
January 25, 2010 9:21:52 PM

the question i have is all the trouble worth it? Is there a noticable diff?
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 9:51:35 PM

In games/benchmarks that utilize physX "YES" for everything else "NO" .....
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 11:30:00 PM

I would use the newer drivers and the GenL patch, as there will be bug fixes and possibly better performance and such. As soon as I get my 5870 tomorrow, my 4870 is going to my friend so I can get my 8800GT back to use for PhysX. Batman AA and Darkest of Days are calling!
January 26, 2010 9:16:16 AM

Thanks for the replies! I guess i am a lucky one since i have two monitors that i use for extended desktop. i'll try it with the GenL that you mentioned!

i'll have my hands on the 9500 today so crosses fingers that it will work!
January 26, 2010 12:49:34 PM

Works like a charm! Thank you all.
January 26, 2010 1:12:00 PM

guardiangr said:
Hello,
I recently ordered a 9500GT CUDA which is a cheap solution for a PhysX dedicated card. The problem is, is there a good walkthrough how to set it up to work with my 5870? I know that i need nvidia 186 or sth driver version but i am not sure how to set it up exactly. Searched the forum a bit and didn't find anything. Will google it aswell but any help would be appreciated!

There's a good video guide on youtube that helped me. I used my 5870 and my old 260 together so I could use Physx and it did work, but it felt a bit unstable so uninstalled everything.

I didnt think it was worth the risk of damaging my 5870.

Id send you the link but im in work at the moment so I havnt got access.
January 30, 2010 8:49:23 AM

After further testing, i noticed a couple of things that i haven't find the solution and there might be not any at all.

I installed Dark Void, crap game but it has some nice effects with PhysX. Set PhysX to HIGH from graphics menu and fired it up. Everything went smooth (bullet decals etc) until I tried to fly with the jetpack. Whenever I took off from the ground and that nice smoke appeared from jetpack's exhausts the framerate was taking a DEEP dive. Haven't seen the actual numbers but from my experience I think it would be at 10 fps at most since it became A LOT sluggish and unplayable.

That might be two things I guess, either some driver conflict OR 9500GT is not capable enough of playing it at HIGH even as a dedicated PhysX card? The drivers installed are 195.xx with the genL patch and Catalyst 9.12 on win7 x64.

I'll try it with the older nvidia drivers which don't need the genL patch but I suspect it is the 9500's power at fault.
a c 217 U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 2:17:50 PM

guardiangr said:
After further testing, i noticed a couple of things that i haven't find the solution and there might be not any at all.

I installed Dark Void, crap game but it has some nice effects with PhysX. Set PhysX to HIGH from graphics menu and fired it up. Everything went smooth (bullet decals etc) until I tried to fly with the jetpack. Whenever I took off from the ground and that nice smoke appeared from jetpack's exhausts the framerate was taking a DEEP dive. Haven't seen the actual numbers but from my experience I think it would be at 10 fps at most since it became A LOT sluggish and unplayable.

That might be two things I guess, either some driver conflict OR 9500GT is not capable enough of playing it at HIGH even as a dedicated PhysX card? The drivers installed are 195.xx with the genL patch and Catalyst 9.12 on win7 x64.

I'll try it with the older nvidia drivers which don't need the genL patch but I suspect it is the 9500's power at fault.

I saw a benchmark done on this game, and generally it showed that even with low PhysX settings it brought a 295 down to poor FPS's. So that is about what you might expect.
!