Sign in with
Your question

CPU-Z doesn't read my memory correctly

Tags:
  • Memory
  • CPUs
Last response: in Memory
September 4, 2010 2:35:56 AM

I have G.Skill F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO (1600MHz) installed on my ASUS M4A87TD EVO 870 MB.

In BIOS I have updated the DRAM frequency and latency numbers to match the memory specs, which weren't automatically correct. (though the memory IS listed in the QVL) Since doing that I have gotten intermittent BSODs.

CPU-Z is still reading it as F3-10700CL7-2BECO (667MHz) memory, though it correctly displays the frequency and timings as I adjusted them.

Any ideas about what would cause the incorrect readings and the occasional Blue Screens?

Thanks,
Ron

More about : cpu read memory correctly

a b } Memory
September 4, 2010 4:59:35 AM

Well, CPU-Z isn't perfect. Sometimes there are things it just doesn't read well (like certain models, like yours).

As for your BSOD problem I am fairly certain I have the answer:

First and foremost would be that your motherboard/system cannot handle your RAM settings as they are. That RAM that you purchased says specifically "Designed Specifically for Socket LGA 1156 Intel Core i5 & i7 CPUs." Often this means that the max settings listed will not work on AMD boards. I say this from experience, I purchased i5/i7 RAM and to this day I am fiddling to get every ounce of performance its got seeing as how nobody online has been able to duplicate the settings on an AMD system.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b à CPUs
September 4, 2010 5:23:15 AM

rlb_99 said:
I have G.Skill F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO (1600MHz) installed on my ASUS M4A87TD EVO 870 MB.

In BIOS I have updated the DRAM frequency and latency numbers to match the memory specs, which weren't automatically correct. (though the memory IS listed in the QVL) Since doing that I have gotten intermittent BSODs.

CPU-Z is still reading it as F3-10700CL7-2BECO (667MHz) memory, though it correctly displays the frequency and timings as I adjusted them.

Any ideas about what would cause the incorrect readings and the occasional Blue Screens?

Thanks,
Ron

Nope, CPU-Z is right, your memory is DDR3-1333, which runs at 667MHz clock rate, and that's what it's reporting. The "DDR3-1600" rating you see on the memory package is an overclock, CPU-Z tells you what it really is.
m
l
!