CPU-Z doesn't read my memory correctly

rlb_99

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
I have G.Skill F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO (1600MHz) installed on my ASUS M4A87TD EVO 870 MB.

In BIOS I have updated the DRAM frequency and latency numbers to match the memory specs, which weren't automatically correct. (though the memory IS listed in the QVL) Since doing that I have gotten intermittent BSODs.

CPU-Z is still reading it as F3-10700CL7-2BECO (667MHz) memory, though it correctly displays the frequency and timings as I adjusted them.

Any ideas about what would cause the incorrect readings and the occasional Blue Screens?

Thanks,
Ron

makwy2

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Well, CPU-Z isn't perfect. Sometimes there are things it just doesn't read well (like certain models, like yours).

As for your BSOD problem I am fairly certain I have the answer:

First and foremost would be that your motherboard/system cannot handle your RAM settings as they are. That RAM that you purchased says specifically "Designed Specifically for Socket LGA 1156 Intel Core i5 & i7 CPUs." Often this means that the max settings listed will not work on AMD boards. I say this from experience, I purchased i5/i7 RAM and to this day I am fiddling to get every ounce of performance its got seeing as how nobody online has been able to duplicate the settings on an AMD system.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Nope, CPU-Z is right, your memory is DDR3-1333, which runs at 667MHz clock rate, and that's what it's reporting. The "DDR3-1600" rating you see on the memory package is an overclock, CPU-Z tells you what it really is.