Cannot rename rename a folder

I have been trying to sort out "My documents" and related shell folders
with two hard drives each with three partitions.

After reading all the web posts I to have a better understanding of the
way XP Prof makes and uses the shell folders.

However, when in Windows Explorer I look at the bottom of the folder
tree I see a folder called "Beemer's documents" (but with my real first
name and including the apostrophe). I cannot delete or rename this and
I can find no reference to "Beemer's documents" in the registry. When I
use XP search only this same folder is found.

What could be causing this?

Beemer
7 answers Last reply
More about cannot rename rename folder

    In article <MPG.1bdf575e3449e4fc9896c8@news.microsoft.com>,
    beemer@nowhere.com says...
    > I have been trying to sort out "My documents" and related shell folders
    > with two hard drives each with three partitions.
    >
    > After reading all the web posts I to have a better understanding of the
    > way XP Prof makes and uses the shell folders.
    >
    > However, when in Windows Explorer I look at the bottom of the folder
    > tree I see a folder called "Beemer's documents" (but with my real first
    > name and including the apostrophe). I cannot delete or rename this and
    > I can find no reference to "Beemer's documents" in the registry. When I

    I should added that in properties/general.. folder of "Beemer's
    Documents" I see a greyed out "My documents" name

    Beemer

    As you may have guessed by now, this is just another shortcut to the My
    Documents folder, only this time prefixed by the username this particular
    "My Documents" structure belongs to.
    Therefore this will usually be a shortcut to within the "Documents and
    Settings\<username>\My Documents" structure.
    (In my own case it is a shortcut to D:\Data\My Documents, because I chose to
    relocate my own My Documents onto my data-drive, for easy one-stop-shop
    backup.)
    You won't find a direct reference to the actual "<username>'s Documents" in
    the registry, because more often then not registry entries are kept as
    flexible as possible using what is known as variables. Normally, when
    reference to a userid is wanted in the registry, the variable named
    %username% is employed.
    If a reference needs to be made to the path where this is kept, the variable
    named %userprofile% is used.
    In this particular case the reference in the registry that comes out as
    Beemer's Documents is made to "%s's Documents".
    Furthermore, My Documents is a typical 'system type' folder and monkeying
    around with it (deleting or renaming) can produce some unexpected results,
    like not being able to, ending up with a renamed one and a new one that's
    again called My Documents and is empty, and all sorts of other funnies.
    Renaming the term that is displayed on the desktop has no great impact
    because it is just that, a display name, and nothing else.

    hth clarify some of your questions

    george

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:07:57 +0100, Beemer wrote:

    >> I have been trying to sort out "My documents" and related shell folders
    >> with two hard drives each with three partitions.
    >>
    >> After reading all the web posts I to have a better understanding of the
    >> way XP Prof makes and uses the shell folders.
    >>
    >> However, when in Windows Explorer I look at the bottom of the folder
    >> tree I see a folder called "Beemer's documents" (but with my real first
    >> name and including the apostrophe). I cannot delete or rename this and
    >> I can find no reference to "Beemer's documents" in the registry. When I
    >
    > I should added that in properties/general.. folder of "Beemer's
    > Documents" I see a greyed out "My documents" name

    Everything you describe is normal for that item. Leave the folder alone.
    Think of it (and use it ) as another shortcut to the My Documents folder
    for your user account.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    In article <euDzFpgtEHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
    anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > As you may have guessed by now, this is just another shortcut to the My
    > Documents folder, only this time prefixed by the username this particular
    > "My Documents" structure belongs to.
    > Therefore this will usually be a shortcut to within the "Documents and
    > Settings\<username>\My Documents" structure.
    > (In my own case it is a shortcut to D:\Data\My Documents, because I chose to
    > relocate my own My Documents onto my data-drive, for easy one-stop-shop
    > backup.)
    > You won't find a direct reference to the actual "<username>'s Documents" in
    > the registry, because more often then not registry entries are kept as
    George,

    Thanks for taking the time to explain this. I have returned all MyDoc
    to default then just dragged the MyMus and MyPhot to a different drive

    regards,

    Beemer

    Actually, dragging wasn't necessary, because if you look at the properties
    of the My Documents on the desktop you get the option to enter another
    location for storage and the lot will be moved there.

    > In article <euDzFpgtEHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
    > anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    >> As you may have guessed by now, this is just another shortcut to the My
    >> Documents folder, only this time prefixed by the username this particular
    >> "My Documents" structure belongs to.
    >> Therefore this will usually be a shortcut to within the "Documents and
    >> Settings\<username>\My Documents" structure.
    >> (In my own case it is a shortcut to D:\Data\My Documents, because I chose
    >> relocate my own My Documents onto my data-drive, for easy one-stop-shop
    >> backup.)
    >> You won't find a direct reference to the actual "<username>'s Documents"
    >> in
    >> the registry, because more often then not registry entries are kept as
    > George,
    >
    > Thanks for taking the time to explain this. I have returned all MyDoc
    > to default then just dragged the MyMus and MyPhot to a different drive
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > Beemer
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    In article <udyhtvttEHA.444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
    sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org says...
    > On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:07:57 +0100, Beemer wrote:
    >
    > >> I have been trying to sort out "My documents" and related shell folders
    > >> with two hard drives each with three partitions.
    > >>
    > >> After reading all the web posts I to have a better understanding of the
    > >> way XP Prof makes and uses the shell folders.
    > >>
    > >> However, when in Windows Explorer I look at the bottom of the folder
    > >> tree I see a folder called "Beemer's documents" (but with my real first
    Sharon,

    Yes eventually learned this although having an "unresolvable" name in
    the registry or anywhere else was disconcerting

    Cheers

    Beemer's 8:)
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:13:04 +0100, Beemer wrote:

    > Sharon,
    >
    > Yes eventually learned this although having an "unresolvable" name in
    > the registry or anywhere else was disconcerting

    I understand. It's been several years now (hard to believe XP is 3 years
    old now) but I can remember seeing all of those seemingly multiple
    Documents folders for the first time too.
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Configuration Windows XP