Sign in with
Your question

Which DirectX 11 card to get for AvP?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 25, 2010 11:54:46 AM

Hi,

So... I'm really excited by the new Alien vs Predator game - It looks great. I built my PC about 6 months ago and stuck with the onboard graphics card - I decided I was going to buy a card when the time was right for a game I wanted.

The ATI 5670 looks ideal for this game - Is this the case?. I currently have a 480W power supply. Ideally I am looking for a low powered graphics card that can work using this. My processor is very low powered (2.6 GHz dual core, 45W) and I have 8 Gb of RAM and an eco green hard drive.

The max resolution I will be running games will be 1280x1024 or 1366x768 on my TV.

My PC is mainly used for audio work so is really quiet. I don't want its quietness to be ruined by a card so is there a fanless option or can someone tell me about their experience of how noisy graphics cards are?

Thanks

More about : directx card avp

January 25, 2010 11:58:53 AM

... at that resolution, you could use an ATI 4800 or nVidia 200 series and it would look great...

If you're set on DX11, a 5770 could work for ya, or wait an extra like 2 weeks after AvP3 comes out for the Fermi to release and get a Fermi card or a 5800 for a lot cheaper.
January 25, 2010 12:03:01 PM

Thanks,

What is a Fermi?
Related resources
a c 147 U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 12:25:56 PM

With a 480W PSU you could probably get away with a 5750, I'd recommend this over the 5670. The 5670 REALLY isn't a great choice at $100 unless you need something that your PSU can handle. 480W could run more than this and give you better performance for not much more.

When you say 2.6GHz 45W CPU what model is that? Also, what model/brand 480W psu do you have? or is it a factory PSU that came with your PC?

I'd really recommend a 5750 FAR before a 5670. It actually go for a 4850 instead of a 5670 even though it is an older card, it has ALOT more "balls" behind it.
a c 147 U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 12:26:48 PM

Fermi is the codename for Nvidia's new GPU. You should not be concerned with it, just like you shouldn't worry about the 5800 ATI cards. They are highend and would require a PSU upgrade and alot of money. Which it sounds like you are not interested in.
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 12:35:18 PM

I agree with jay up to the point of not getting a dx11 card. Personally im waiting for the game to come out and be tested before i look at which card to get.
The game is said to be the best test of DX11 features, tesselation mainly i beleive that we have seen so far, but we wont really know untill it gets tested and they take it apart from a tech point of view and then we will know much more.
It could be really well coded for DX11 features or it could just be aDX10 game with tesselation sprinckles on top. Either way we wont know how much GPU power it will really take to run it untill it gets tested.
I did hear on the rumour mill that it would need more than a 5670 to get the best out of it though and if you really must get a card before the game is tested then a 5750 is the bare minimum i would consider.

Mactronix
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 12:47:05 PM

As you are wanting to run DX11... I'd think I'd be tempted to try for a 5770 min as going by Dirt2 there was a big performance hit.

But wait and see, as they are saying, to see some benchmarks, maybe AvP is coded better for it and will run DX11 a lot better :) 
January 25, 2010 1:13:52 PM

They have been very cryptic about this game for a while. I dont think that ive actually seen any system requirments posted anywhere and the games being released next month!

Not even the trailers give you a lot of info! I wish they released a playable demo.

I presume that you would need a 5850 or equivelant to play it on high settings

a c 130 U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 1:39:06 PM

marney_5 said:
They have been very cryptic about this game for a while. I dont think that ive actually seen any system requirments posted anywhere and the games being released next month!

Not even the trailers give you a lot of info! I wish they released a playable demo.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/PC-Game-Specs-Aliens-Pred...

Mactronix
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 1:46:10 PM

marney_5 said:

At 1280x1024? No way unless this game is another Crysis type situation which I really doubt.
An HD5750 will probably do fine but if you can afford it at HD5770 would be nice.
January 25, 2010 1:58:52 PM

jyjjy said:
At 1280x1024? No way unless this game is another Crysis type situation which I really doubt.
An HD5750 will probably do fine but if you can afford it at HD5770 would be nice.

It would probably fly running at 1280x1024. What I meant was running at 1080 on high settings, unless it is another crysis!
January 25, 2010 2:41:34 PM

jay2tall said:

When you say 2.6GHz 45W CPU what model is that? Also, what model/brand 480W psu do you have? or is it a factory PSU that came with your PC?

I have an AMD Athlon X2 2.6 GHz 45W 5050e Processor. My PSU is a Nexus Value 430 - I bought this as it is the quietest in the buisness. It is actually a 430 W power supply, not 480 W like I originally said.

I will probably need to upgrade to something like the Nexus RX-5300 but this is not ideal for my budget.

Thanks for the help everyone. Maybe it will be good to wait until it is released and see some benchmarks.
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 2:48:41 PM

That's a high quality PSU and doesn't need to be replaced. It should handle an HD5750 or HD5770 well as they are both very power efficient.
January 25, 2010 3:01:54 PM

I still say HD5770. As was said, if you're gonna get a 5750... just spend the extra 20 bucks and buy a 5770, you wont regret it in the long term heh.
a c 144 U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 3:07:04 PM

i'm wondering how fare will AvP perform using 5670. to be honest i'm quite interested with this card. around my place 5670 are quite cheap, more cheaper than 9600GT :) 
a c 147 U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 3:12:04 PM

guybrushT said:
I have an AMD Athlon X2 2.6 GHz 45W 5050e Processor. My PSU is a Nexus Value 430 - I bought this as it is the quietest in the buisness. It is actually a 430 W power supply, not 480 W like I originally said.

I will probably need to upgrade to something like the Nexus RX-5300 but this is not ideal for my budget.

Thanks for the help everyone. Maybe it will be good to wait until it is released and see some benchmarks.

That's a nice PSU, 33A on the 12V rails. It's go for a 5750 or a 5770 if you want to throw in the extra money. They are probably your best options.
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 3:26:02 PM

renz496 said:
i'm wondering how fare will AvP perform using 5670. to be honest i'm quite interested with this card. around my place 5670 are quite cheap, more cheaper than 9600GT :) 

Well this is the thing really isnt it, untill we get a properly coded native, or just a native coded i guess as they are far from the same thing ;)  DX11 game we wont know. Could be that its so much more optimised for these cards that a 5670 is easily capable of running the games.
History tells us another story though. Usually the performance of the lower end of the newer spec DX cards is below that of the upper end of the last DX spec.
They usually improve over time like the 8600GTS and 2600XT did when compared to the 1950Pro. At release it just wasnt worth getting the DX10 card for what it offered as the performance was terrable compared to the DX9 1950 Pro.
DX 11 promised to do it differantly this time with other optimisations that should improve the transition but im not holding my breath.

Mactronix
January 25, 2010 3:30:37 PM

The 5770 sounds like a good option then!

Just checked out some UK prices and they seem pretty steep:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/190731

Would this be ok? Its a 5670 and half the price? Does that mean half the performance

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/190138

Does anyone understand the naming scheme for ATI cards, based on price the 3850 models seem to be top end too? Is this the case?
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 3:48:32 PM

Here is a review with lost of benchmarks, Pricing and performance although you would be forgiven for thinking that they logically should be some how linked are most definatly not.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_5670_I...
That only really works within a family ie 5 series /4 series etc. The other cards get price cuts at around the time of new card release in order to try and clear out stocks and are then pushed up again to an absurdly high price as they want you to buy the newer cards now and not the old ones. Eventually they end up very cheap but that takes a while and by then they are so outdated its not really a viable product for most people.

Mactronix Just to say that for comparison the 3850 performs around about the same as a 4670
a c 147 U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 3:49:08 PM

We won't call it half.. but... ok YES, let's call it half the performance. It really isn't in all cases, but you may as well consider it as such. check the benches here. Tom's review of the 5670 only includes the 575o in the review.
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3720&p=5

I would NOT get a 5670 unless you had a small PSU and were trying to maximize your performance on that. With your PSU I'd almost take a DX10 card over a 5670 like a 4850. In the US a 4850 runs $100 right along with a 5670 but outperforms it to no end.

You get what you pay for and a 5750 or 5770 is probably your best bet if you want DX11. You can get some of the last gen cards at a discount if you are ok with that.
January 26, 2010 7:47:56 AM

Yeah that HD5750 looks a good price. I have just looked at the back of my PC and I am limited to a card that takes up 1 expansion bracket, I can't fit one in where 2 slots are needed.

Maybe I should just get a PS3?
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 26, 2010 8:55:42 AM

guybrushT said:
Yeah that HD5750 looks a good price. I have just looked at the back of my PC and I am limited to a card that takes up 1 expansion bracket, I can't fit one in where 2 slots are needed.

WTF!!! Wash your mouth out with soap and water young man how dare you utter such thoughts :ouch: 

Mactronix :D 
January 26, 2010 9:39:25 AM

mactronix said:
WTF!!! Wash your mouth out with soap and water young man how dare you utter such thoughts :ouch: 

Mactronix :D 

Haha, yeah its not the best solution but it has the upside of games just work and there is no hassle with getting the right graphics card. However I can't stand control pads for 1st person games, absolutely no point in even playing the things.

What about a HD 4670? Very cheap at £60.
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2010 10:18:43 AM

LOL

Well said Sir!

On another note, don't forget that AvP's detail could be scaled off the chart potentially depending on how much extra Tesselation you can ramp up... :D 

...Get the best card you can for the best effects. The PS3 can't do this ;) 

or play safe and wait for some reviews and see what card can handle what, not long to wait now!
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 26, 2010 10:36:17 AM

Do you need a single bracket card or do you need a card where the cooler is single slot? There is a difference.
If it's both then I guess if you want DX11 you will have to go with a single slot HD5670. If the cooler can be more than one slot but not the bracket then there are HD5750/70s that are like that.
January 26, 2010 10:39:18 AM

and when you get your gpu don't forget to disable onbord graphic.it gets it's memory from ram
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 26, 2010 11:22:28 AM

guybrushT said:

Well if that is the case (no pun intended ) then it looks like its a 5670 then dosent it.

Mactronix
January 26, 2010 3:58:51 PM

mohsentux said:
and when you get your gpu don't forget to disable onbord graphic.it gets it's memory from ram

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know that was the case. Also, like I said earlier my PC is used for Audio / Studio work so the quietness is important - So I wondered if anyone knew if I buy a great card with a fan for gaming, can I completely disable it in the BIOS so it is completely off/ powered off when not gaming and go back to using the onboard, maintaining the quietness when I need it?

That would seem the best solution if possible.
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 26, 2010 4:12:27 PM

guybrushT said:
Thanks for the tip, I didn't know that was the case. Also, like I said earlier my PC is used for Audio / Studio work so the quietness is important - So I wondered if anyone knew if I buy a great card with a fan for gaming, can I completely disable it in the BIOS so it is completely off/ powered off when not gaming and go back to using the onboard, maintaining the quietness when I need it?

That would seem the best solution if possible.

The HD cards do that anyway they power way down when not running 3D apps teh clocks drop off and it has the effect of reducing the power consumption as well as the cards running quiet. I can hear my HDD befofre i hear my GPU if i listen hard enough, and im not really set up with silent running in mind.

Mactronix
February 18, 2010 7:17:38 PM

I bought a HD 5770 for my brother about a month ago and the card is great, probably one of the best money vs performance cards out there.

I do warn you though, AvP is rather glitchy at the moment with intermittent stuttering and freezing when using DX11 settings, note that he also is running the same resolution as you, but had to turn AA (which for some silly reason can only be modified with a DX11 card? I'm waiting for the console commands\hacks to get around this) to x2 as with x4 (which isnt really that high) the performance hit on the framerate was very noticeable.

All in all I suggest you wait until the Game is patched as it desperately needs one, and save the extra bucks to get a HD5770. The rest of your rig should handle the game fine, the graphics aren't that amazing tbh, but the tessellation and advanced shadows you can enable with DX11 make the game considerably prettier, I myself am thinking about upgrading my 280 GTX after looking at the difference as I know I'll enjoy the Marine campaign, so much more.
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2010 7:43:56 PM

I have the game as well. Its another one that uses DX9 or the DX 11 exe. It plays fluid and over 50fps with a 4770 all very high 1680x1050. I don't want to say its just like Dirt2 ,but it seem that way. of course I don't know what DX11 has over what I'm seeing.

edit: . If you like Aliens, the movies and story are way cool. Chest bursting for everyone. lol . There are people dissing the game, but it seems ok to me.
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2010 8:47:15 PM

Has anyone posted comparison benchmarks (DX9 vs DX11 and visual side by sides) like some sites did for Dirt2?
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2010 8:52:54 PM

No ones talking much about the pc game. Even Sega's site is impossible to get game info, can't even find mention that the game has dx11 never mind, touting it. Though I know there is a dx11 exe.
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2010 9:03:56 PM

Odd, I thought it would be a moderately big deal. Hopefully they'll post something eventually. Its not a game I have to have, but if it looks pretty good I'll pick it up eventually.
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2010 11:05:12 PM

I too have the game and will be installing and playing manyana. I will let you know the details then running 2x 5770, game has multi-gpu support and DX11, I am hoping it actually looks like the screenshots and videos that have been taken from the supposed PC version... Bought mine today at Bestbuy for 39.99 and it auto unlocks it on Steam for me too, love games that do that.
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2010 12:32:24 AM

Couldn't resist. Loaded it up in DX11 mode with 4x AA and 16x ani. The game looks amazing. I have an 360 too and played the AVP demo on there rather then the PC, and the fully maxxed out 1920x1080 with 4x AA and 16x ani Blows it away!!! This game looks great.
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2010 12:44:39 AM

You know the AvP demo only has DX9.
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2010 1:12:38 AM

I agree with notty on this one, I played the demo, and the Alien was disorientating & unresponsive while the Humans were underpowered, takes too many shots to kill. The predators were alright.
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2010 1:25:43 AM

notty, they are reviewing the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions in those articles; The PC version is a different beast. If you liked the original AVP games, you'll like this one.
February 19, 2010 5:24:31 AM

I saw a mate play the demo on the a xbox 360 and wasn't overly impressed. Then again my opinion might've been a little biased at the time.

I'm no massive fan of FPS games on consoles in general, Half of my colleagues at work play MW2 on the xbox, I cant get my head around aiming with a Joystick. What I find ironic, is that we work in an I.T company, and they favour a console over a pc.... go figure.

I did however buy the PC version of this game, since it was developed by the makers of the First AvP, which is a game (along with it's sequel by Monolith) that I used to play for many hours on end and was curious to see if it would just be another lazy console port.

I have to say there is no justice in comparing the console demo, to the pc full version, the only dissapointments I have with it are that it doesn't seem to have been fully optimised for the PC. I find that review somewhat biased, this game was clearly developed for the fans, and I'm loving it. Sure if you've never played the older games, the Alien gameplay will seem disorienting, but it doesn't take long to get used to it, and the violence and gore just make it really feel like an old school Aliens or Predator movie (NOT the AvP movies, dear god they were horrible).

Here's some links about the stuttering, freezing issues I was talking about earlier:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=...
http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?p=5589231

PC users, if you can, give the Marine campaign a go on hard (or nightmare) using DX11 in a pitch dark room, with a good pair of headphones.
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2010 1:03:07 PM

I agree with the above poster. the PC Version is way BEYOND that review. With full hardware tesselation and all the bells and whistles going, AvP reminds me of 2001, only with bad-ass graphics. The reviewers all have their grubby mitts on the Xbox 360 version, which is why they are scoring it to hell. They don't even have a PC only review at any respectable site. If you are PC gamer, and were looking forward to this game, heres my rating: 8/10 its good. Just like AVP1 and AVP2.
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2010 2:22:32 PM

I Loved playing the Alien in AVP2 some much fun being able to run and jump in what almost seems a 3D world after being so used to being stuck on just the floor LOL

Once you get your head round it, its the best for me - a good challange on the hardest setting :D 
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2010 2:36:48 PM

Will be buying this game soon! Just Finally got payed by the company I was doing a project for. Waiting a little more till my birthday in early March then buying this game, a C300 SSD + finally will install my new copy of Win7 and a 5850 or maybe 5870...

or Just possibly one of these:

ASUS 5870 MATRIX Edition
Clocked at 900MHz 4900MHz with 2GB RAM
Its OC slider allows up to 1080MHz

or

MSI R5870 Lightning Clocked at 1000MHz
MSI R5870 Lightning
http://www.behardware.com/news/10662/ces-msi-radeon-hd-5870-lightning.htmlbetter pic showing this slightly shorter, but higher than normal designed card.

It is said to maybe cost 30 Euro more than the standard one and is due out any time now.

Hehehee can't wait :D 

!