Sign in with
Your question

How to set up 2 monitors on Dell E521.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 25, 2010 12:09:27 PM

I have a Dell PC E521. I would like to set up 2 monitors. It only has 1 monitor input. I'm new to fiddling with computers but tried to work around with a splitter. Found that didn't work. Do I need to get a different card or driver to do so? Other postings seem to indicate that a second input is required and then you get prompted in Display with set up. Any help to a novice would be appreciated.

More about : set monitors dell e521

a c 147 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 25, 2010 12:20:41 PM

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.asp...

This is your computer, correct? Click on the Tech Specs tab. There are 3 available video cards that it came with. Did you have onboard, or did you have one of the two expansion cards? I am assuming you have onboard as I believe both of those expansion cards have dual outputs.

Regardless you will need to most likely purchase a video card that has dual outputs. What are you intending to use this for? Desktop apps? Games?
m
l
January 25, 2010 12:41:00 PM

jay2tall said:
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.asp...

This is your computer, correct? Click on the Tech Specs tab. There are 3 available video cards that it came with. Did you have onboard, or did you have one of the two expansion cards? I am assuming you have onboard as I believe both of those expansion cards have dual outputs.

Regardless you will need to most likely purchase a video card that has dual outputs. What are you intending to use this for? Desktop apps? Games?

I'm just using it for simple desktop apps - email on one, Word doc on the other, etc.

Do you have any online recommendation for ordering the 2 output card - this one only has the one output option right now. Thanks for your help.
m
l
Related resources
January 25, 2010 12:57:36 PM

PS. That's my computer but mine doesn't have the 2 inputs shown on the graphic.
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 25, 2010 3:02:38 PM

I think it depends on a few things here. You have to work with you 305W Dell PSU, which are actually not that bad. Also, what outputs do you need for your monitors? Do you need (2) DVI outputs? Or is one or both of your monitors VGA? Or does either accept HDMI. And finally, what is your budget? I am looking at under $100 cards, but wasn't sure if you were looking more at a $50 solution. A $100 solution will allow you to do some very light gaming if you ever got the inclining to do it.

The reason I ask about the outputs is alot of cards in this range have 1 DVI, 1 VGA, and 1 HDMI. Some older ones have dual HDMI though.
m
l
!