OS will not boot on new Build

stiffy17

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
This is my first post and i am at my wits end. I have exhausted my trouble shooting abilities with a recent build and am considering a motherboard rma.

Intel i7 950
Asus ati 5850
gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
6gb (3x2) Ocz ddr3 2000
wd caviar black 640g HD
thermaltake tr2rx 850w power supply

SO...first booting windows7 (RC1) takes at least 35-40 minutes. After the the 1st restart and boot from hd, a black screen occurs and says files from the install are missing. Various trial and error versions of this have been unsuccessful for 6 days.
All hardware has been reset. New psu, vid card, hd have all been tried on the motherboard. Ram has been tested with memtest86 with no errors.
Xp sp3 had the same problems that windows7 had. 45min install with 'missing files' afterward. The only sucessful os thus far has been ubuntu. While i appreciate linux, everything do is on windows.

Preinstall sata drivers dl'd from the mobo site (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=3305&ost=others#anchor_os) have been attempted at install with no help.

Hopefully i have explained some of the troubleshooting things i have attempted.

I have tried all i know how to, but only want to send anything back as a last resort. The first to go back imo would be the gigabyte mobo.......
any thoughts???
thanks in advance

stiffy17

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
To add to the hardware list:
Sony optiarc blu ray drive.
Its a year old and has been successful on my old system. It was also replaced to troubleshoot with no change to the data loss from the dvd install of windows 7 rc1.
An additional copy of the actual win7 dvd install disc was made to troubleshoot as well.

stiffy17

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
The motherboard only has 1 version of BIOS available on the the gigabyte website, and it was flashed once with no change in install time.

Youre right though about Ubuntu. Thats the weird part. It was booted from an 8g usb drive. i havent tried to boot it for several days. As i remember, any hardware diagnostics available came back o.k.

stiffy17

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
All ram was replaced and tested individually on the correct slot for i channel. They all registered o.k. out as far as i remember. BIOS has been tweaked, but always returned to fail safe defaults (IDE) if anything went too crazy.

stiffy17

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
A replacement motherboard (the same model) is on its way. Hopefully it will resolve the issues. I'll report back when i give it a whirl.

Further theories always appreciated ........

stiffy17

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
the ram voltage wasnt overclocked intentionally. I set to factory standard 1.65v, i think, and it was reading close to that(1.64). the chip (i7 950) is set to run at 3.03 and i was getting a reading like 3.20. That was a little odd, but from what i heard, the i7 950 can stand a quite a bit of oc.in' so i assumed it would'nt damage anything.

stiffy17

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
My next thought...... When the new mobo comes in (2-5ish-10) and if the same problems occur. I will try to install windows 7 on an older PATA 240g hard drive i have been clearing. All the HD we've used have been SATA. I'll try the PATA to troubleshoot the Gigabyte motherboard's compatibility with the other SATA hard ware.

stiffy17

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I haven't tried a different version of windows 7, but we did try to install xp sp3 with the same results. Slooooow intsall then missing files when it boots from HD

Lutfij

Titan
try burning the windows 7 installer on a dvd at a slow speed - 6x speed. and then try the instalation once again.

r u using a thumb drive to install windows 7? btw wats news wid ur replacement mobo?

see if u can get ur hands on the 7600 build (final) version of windows 7

stiffy17

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010

stiffy17

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Oh yeah, I ordered and new HD (just in case) Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA.

Its was only $5 more than the 640g and recently i've had some problems getting the 640g to pass WD diagnostic tests on my older rig, so its going back to newegg as well.

Lutfij

Titan

u can get the OEM version of windows7 and it works fine with all the new drivers + urs is a x58 board so no problems should occur.

hey i almost 4gt to ask - is the RC a 32 bit or 64bit? it mite b one reason for the slooooooooow pace. any how - the 7600 build sould take care of that! :sweat: :sol:

stiffy17

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
The rc is 64bit and it has had at least 5 separate successful installs on other people' s machines. An additional copy burned at a slower speed of the same rc1 iso was used on my build with no success.

I would watch what you post. Suggesting pirated software is against the forum rules. A legal version of Windows only costs $105.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM $104.99

stiffy17

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Thats my feeling. Some where it that sata bus, something is going wrong.

My 2 ideas at this point are, boot windows from usb, or boot win7 to a PATA HD. At least this would help me eliminate the data connections from the list of possible problems.