Amd cpu comparison

Pullerabc

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I need to upgrade motherboard and CPU because I have a few bulging diodes, which has really slowed down the whole works. I use this computer for DVD creation, pictures and music. What is the dollar for dollar best AMD cpu to use as an upgrade.

randomkid

Distinguished
Nice chart, mosox. I felt good having bought the X4 435 which is on top of the chart. But I got downcasted somewhat as I can not see where the X3 720BE is which is my main rig...

TO Pullerabc, get the X3 435 and an MSI 785GM-E51 and you got a good chance of getting a very cheap but high performance quad core.

ScoobyJooby-Jew

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010

the 720 scores a 29.5 at oem costs. 21.5 when you add in 15 dollar fan

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I would go for the Athlon II x3 435 - if you get a good mobo (like the MSI 785GM-E51 or a one of Gigabytes 785G mobos) you can often unlock that 4th core. I did it for my wifes PC on a gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H. Gives you a quad for well under $100.

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

+1! An Athlon X3 would suit him perfectly, and i don't think he would need a 4-th core, maybe a slight OC'ing if he actually sees any slowdown. He'll just need more RAM, 3-4GB DDR3 would be fine.

'bout the mobo as long as he will get an mobo with 785g or better chipset from ASUS, MSI, or Gigabyte (i think these 3 brands have the best quality, i would never choose a mobo from another brand:)) he'll be fine.

randomkid

Distinguished
^+1.
I just got an X3 435 unlocked with the MSI 785GM-E51 for my brother in law. I actually thought whether I made the right decision and just have gotten a cheap AM2+/AM3 motherboard & a true X4. I finally decided that its good deal after all because the total cost being the same, I still got an X4 plus a better AM3 motherboard.

Pullerabc

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010

Thanks for all the help. I am replacing an AZUS P5ND2 SLI and a Intel P4 550 3.4 GHZ 800fsb.

Its nice to see all the data, and the charts. So many, many thanks.
Pulerabc

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

There's just a chance it won't unlock tho...

randomkid

Distinguished

Hi Amdfangirl!
Nice to see you here...

Yes, there is always a chance it won't unlock... just got lucky that it did... otherwise I may feel bad... but not too bad....

Pullerabc

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
For saint 13.
I have 4 Gs of DDR2 ram, and a Geforce 7300 with 512 mb DDR2 TV DVI PCI-E.. which I didn't list when I re-posted earlier.

Should I keep this card or let the motherboard handle the graphics.?

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Well I suppose you'd have gotten what you should have deserved then. Or rather what you paid them :p.

Ok, if you want use your current RAM with the mew CPU and mobo, you need buy a mobo socket AM2/AM2+/AM3 that can support the DDR2 RAM that you currently have.

About the GPU, always is better a dedicated GPU that an onboard video, but if you want, test your system with the 7300 and with the onboard video and select the best performance.

Now the question is: Do you want change your RAM? or just reuse your current RAM.

randomkid

Distinguished

The GF 7300 graphics card will be handy if you want to make all your RAM capacity available because the onboard graphics will eat up at least 256Mb of your RAM. Some motherboard have 128MB sideport memory for the onboard graphics but I doubt if it is enough.

On the otherhand, you have 4GB of RAM so you can probably afford to let the onboard graphics use 512MB of it. The 785 or 790GX chipsets comes with on board video more powerful than your GF 7300 and will be better performance for your use.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Just as a note- there is a chance that you can't unlock the 4th core, but I'm currently 3 for 3 in unlocking AMD cores (2 Athlon II x3's to x4s and a Sempron x1 to an x2). Seems like the probability of unlocking is pretty good with the Athlon II series (Sempron is still a crippled Athlon II).
For the things that you do, onboard video will be just fine- no reason to use the 7300 as performance-wise, both will do what you need, but the 7300GT add power consumption.