two T2 questions

What and how do I alter to get the game to run with no game cd?

I just installed the game after installing XP pro. The game starts up and
runs fine, but it doesn't seem to play video scenes. I got no intro when
first running the game, and no pre mission briefing when I started the first
mission. I'm using Direct X 9.0b.

I'm sure there's a simple solution to the first question. Hopefully one for
the second as well.

- Adam
4 answers Last reply
More about questions
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Thanks, worked perfectly!

    - Adam

    "Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 20:44:10 GMT, "AgentAlbert"
    > <ajcook@SCREWLARAZA!!satx.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    > >What and how do I alter to get the game to run with no game cd?
    >
    > Komag has a nocd crack on his essentials page.
    > http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com/essentials.htm
    >
    > >I just installed the game after installing XP pro. The game starts up
    and
    > >runs fine, but it doesn't seem to play video scenes. I got no intro when
    > >first running the game, and no pre mission briefing when I started the
    first
    > >mission. I'm using Direct X 9.0b.
    >
    > Just install the Indeo/Ligos video codec.
    > put iv5setup.exe into the search field here,
    > http://www.filemirrors.com/
    >
    > --
    > Michael Cecil
    > http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    AgentAlbert wrote:
    > What and how do I alter to get the game to run with no game cd?

    I've used something (probably Blindwrite 5) to make an image of my Thief 2
    play CD and Daemon Tools to mount it as a virtual drive when I'm playing...
    works like a charm and is quite a bit faster than leaving the CD in the drive.

    I also had to edit install.cfg in the Thief2 directory to set the cd_path to
    the virtual drive (in my case, h:\) that has the Thief 2 CD image.

    I've been using this technique for all of my games lately, and it really
    kicks butt; not only is it faster for anything that accesses the original CD
    (as a gamer, I hate copy protection; as a developer, I HATE COPY
    PROTECTION), but I can still apply patches without having to restore the
    original executable or anything stupid like that. No-CD cracks break that
    ability. Not an issue with Thief 2 ;-), but things like Neverwinter Nights
    still get updates.

    > I just installed the game after installing XP pro. The game starts up and
    > runs fine, but it doesn't seem to play video scenes. I got no intro when
    > first running the game, and no pre mission briefing when I started the first
    > mission. I'm using Direct X 9.0b.

    From the Through The Looking Glass forums (http://www.ttlg.com/) FAQ:

    1 create a batch file in the same directory as thief2.exe; I've called
    mine run-Thief2.bat

    2 put these lines in it:

    @echo off
    regsvr32.exe /s LGVID.AX
    thief2.exe

    3 save the file, and change the Thief 2 shortcut you use for running the
    game so that it launches run-Thief2.bat instead of thief2.exe

    This is 100% reliable. The problem is with something in Windows Media
    Player, which gets activated every time you run it, IIRC.

    > I'm sure there's a simple solution to the first question. Hopefully one for
    > the second as well.

    Actually, I think the second one was easier, but the first one is something
    you can do for all of your games. ;-)

    --
    Chris Herborth chrish@cryptocard.com
    Documentation Overlord, CRYPTOCard Corp. http://www.cryptocard.com/

    Michael Cecil wrote:

    > On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 20:44:10 GMT, "AgentAlbert"
    > <ajcook@SCREWLARAZA!!satx.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    >>What and how do I alter to get the game to run with no game cd?
    >
    > Komag has a nocd crack on his essentials page.
    > http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com/essentials.htm

    This will work too, but I don't recommend it for games that still get
    updates. Of course, the Thief 2 no-CD won't work on other games... ;-)

    >>I just installed the game after installing XP pro. The game starts up and
    >>runs fine, but it doesn't seem to play video scenes. I got no intro when
    >>first running the game, and no pre mission briefing when I started the first
    >>mission. I'm using Direct X 9.0b.
    >
    > Just install the Indeo/Ligos video codec.
    > put iv5setup.exe into the search field here,
    > http://www.filemirrors.com/

    But this will still break after a while; see my other message (and/or the
    TTGL FAQ) for more info.

    --
    Chris Herborth chrish@cryptocard.com
    Documentation Overlord, CRYPTOCard Corp. http://www.cryptocard.com/
    Never send a monster to do the work of an evil scientist.
    Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:35:08 -0400, Chris Herborth <chrish@cryptocard.com>
    wrote:

    >Michael Cecil wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 20:44:10 GMT, "AgentAlbert"
    >> <ajcook@SCREWLARAZA!!satx.rr.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>What and how do I alter to get the game to run with no game cd?
    >>
    >> Komag has a nocd crack on his essentials page.
    >> http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com/essentials.htm
    >
    >This will work too, but I don't recommend it for games that still get
    >updates. Of course, the Thief 2 no-CD won't work on other games... ;-)

    I've done it the virtual drive way too, but I hate running unneeded
    software or tying up 700MB of space needlessly so I prefer nocds.

    >But this will still break after a while; see my other message (and/or the
    >TTGL FAQ) for more info.

    Yeah. I've still yet to have my videos spontaneously quit working with
    XP. One of these days someone who does have it happen will figure out
    specifically what happens to break them.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Games CD-Rom Windows XP Video Games