Closed Solved

Windows 7 CLONE

Hi, can someone please help me

i need to clone windows 7 over 60 computers. (it is for a school and i have a Schools agreement with Microsoft, all the Operating systems use the same Key. Im doing this legally by the way.)

i used Norton Ghost for win Xp.

but my real problem is, what can i use to configure it so that on the 1st logon i can change the Computer name and the Domain.

i had a program to do it on win xp, but it will not work on 7.

any advice would be very helpfull

thank you
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows clone
  1. Are you just cloning the system as is or did you prep it for distribution? You should not just clone an existing setup as is and plop the image on a second system, need to do a bit of work to get it ready for use on multiple computers with a volume license.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee956903%28WS.10%29.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd919185%28WS.10%29.aspx
  2. i am configuration it. there is apps to be installed and some files to be copied on the windows self. otherwise it is just a clean clone, where i need to change the name of the Pc, and add a domain name
  3. how ive done it before was, i took each harddrive and cloned it with Norton ghost 2003. i had a standard based image.. that image concluded win xp sp3, with office installed and Cami (a children's application) installed. there was a app on, so on the next logon. the computer would ask me for a new user name, pw, serial key, computer name and domain name. so every computer weren't the same.. its still running like that at the moment with no problems at all

i can clone. i know how, and it can be done. my real problem is for the computer to change the name ect. on the next logon

so that i can clone 70 harddrives physicly in 1 computer. and then i put each of that harddrives in every computer so that i can complete the installation

am i making alot of work for myself? or should i use some other application to clone the drives? mabe on the network?

i dont know. all options are open for the at the moment
  4. Read the links I posted. Are you talking about sysprep for XP? You need to run the Windows 7 version of sysprep now, just like you did before for XP.

Just cloning a drive and making that image suitable for multi-PC use are very different things, the second requires several more steps, which are explained in the documentation I linked.
  5. ah yes sysprep. thats what i used. it worked well for me, i will get sysprep for 7 thanx.
    do you mabe know what software i can use for the cloning. like norton ghost?
  6. all the computers have the exact same hardware. so that would not be a problem. what Cloning software do you recomend?
  7. Sysprep is included with Windows 7

C:\Windows\System32\sysprep

Make sure you image the whole drive, not just the windows partition. That was fine in xp but windows 7 creates a 100MB partition when it is installed which needs to be included.
  8. Best answer
    You can use ghost for cloning, there is also a free one called clonezilla.
  9. Best answer selected by Jurgens.
  10. Thanx Hang-the-9, you are very helpfull.

regards
  11. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Windows XP