Sign in with
Your question

Windows XP Desktop Problem

Last response: in Windows XP
September 9, 2012 6:36:15 PM

I have a problem with desktop that is directly connected to Windows Explorer(not Internet Explorer) although I have lost IE and cannot download 8 as the updates bar keeps on going on and on and the app does not finish. I have no help and search. (I am using Windows XP pro- ser.pack3-32 bit) I cannot drag and drop files or folders and cannot move any desktop icons, although I downloaded from Microsoft: a hotfix and was then able to open desktop icons from Office 2007, where I could not before. I also have the sidebar on desktop, where when you open a file or folder, you can move or copy the item-folder tasks-make a new folder-share this folder etc. I can open any program on and from desktop with the short-cuts. I hope you can help. Thanks!
September 10, 2012 12:29:55 PM

I fear your best bet is probably a repair install of XP. You can try a

sfc /scannow

from a command prompt first to see if it replaces any corrupt system files.
m
l
September 11, 2012 2:56:38 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
I fear your best bet is probably a repair install of XP. You can try a

sfc /scannow

from a command prompt first to see if it replaces any corrupt system files.

Do you have any idea how this situation was caused?
m
l
Related resources
September 11, 2012 4:25:41 PM

It's your computer, so no. I have no idea what events transpired before your system went wonky. You didn't mention which hotfix you applied and you didn't state if you ran a full virus/malware scan when this first started happening. It's possible that some malware got onto your system and corrupted the files. You didn't mention if you ran chkdsk or any other disk utility to see if you have corrupt files due to a bad disk. At this point it could be just about anything which is why I made the previous recommendations.
m
l
September 11, 2012 5:49:23 PM

Running chkdsk & sfc /scannow would be your first options but otherwise i'd do a repair install.

You would have to tell us what you were doing before your system instability. If you recently installed a program or got a virus or recently messed with your registry...
m
l
!