Sign in with
Your question

When does the performance boost from overclocking become negligible?

Last response: in Overclocking
October 7, 2012 10:43:30 PM

Hey guys. So I recently overclocked to 4.5 ghz on my i5 3570k, 2.009v. I'm starting to wonder, am I going to see any real in game or in general performance boost with this? I'm not rendering video or editing, the most taxing thing I'll be doing is gaming. At what point does the benefit from overclocking become negligible in terms of gaming performance. I'm thinking 4.2ghz will be a good cutoff, but I don't know. Opinions? Thanks.
October 8, 2012 12:49:04 AM

Wait, what? 2.009 Volts or is that a model designation? I hope it is not the Vcore.

In general 4.3-4.5 is a good overclock. After that, the voltage required to maintain stability increases dramatically so most people stop here unless they are benchmarking, extreme gaming or showing off :) .

In terms of frequency, 4.8GHz is only 14% faster than 4.2GHz which can be achieved at stock or near stock Voltage as opposed to 4.8 which requires a lot more.

An i5 at 4.2 will not be bottlenecking, hence your GPU is much more important in gaming.
m
l
October 8, 2012 1:24:37 AM

Thanks for the reply, I meant 1.209 in the first post. I've actually been messing around for the last few hours, and after several failed windows boot ups, 1 bsod, and many trials and errors, I've underclocked to 1.1vcore and overclocked to 4.2 ghz. Running prime95 starting now, will run into the morning. Temps are great too ranging at around 51-58 prime95 blend. Pretty cool, huh? (pun intended :) )
m
l
Related resources
October 8, 2012 1:30:34 AM

Around 4.3GHz to 4.6GHz is usually where diminishing returns starts to show up with i5-3570K overclocking IIRC. 4.2GHz might be a slightly weak unit for overclocking or maybe your system is a little less than optimal in some other minor way.
m
l
October 8, 2012 1:38:15 AM

Crap. My computer went bsod on me :( . I guess my underclock didn't go well. I raised the vcore to 1.15 (stock vcore), and am retesting now. Temps are now 54-63, still not too bad imo.
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
October 8, 2012 3:19:56 AM

After about 4ghz, you really won't see any performance increase in games.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
October 8, 2012 3:30:12 AM

exdetonator said:
Crap. My computer went bsod on me :( . I guess my underclock didn't go well. I raised the vcore to 1.15 (stock vcore), and am retesting now. Temps are now 54-63, still not too bad imo.

1.2 volts to 1.25 volts is a very safe range. When you start going above 1.3 you need to be careful. 1.4 volts is the absolute safe maximum as per Intel's datasheet.

Similarly, temperatures below 75c on the package are perfectly fine.

Spending inordinate amounts of time to find the lowest possible stable vcore isn't really worth it, because you're just going to have to bump it up in the future anyway.
m
l
October 8, 2012 3:42:19 AM

exdetonator said:

I think you're just warming up (pun intended). Stock Vcore and ~60 degrees is pretty good in my opinion. If you are happy with that go for it.
m
l
!