Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Win7 will not install on new build, please help me:

Last response: in Systems
February 1, 2010 11:42:27 AM

I've just finished to built a new PC, all with brand new parts. Here's the spec:

Mobo: Asus P5Q-SE
CPU: Core 2 Quad 9650
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U9B
Video: Sapphire Radeon 5870
RAM: 4gb OCZ Reaper DDR2-1066
OS disk: Intel X25-M 80GB SSD (latest model)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (currently not pluged)
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650W
Case: Lian-Li PC-25B "Blue Ring"

Everything seems to be fine, PC is posting normally, I can access all the BIOS Menus and everything else. All boot settings seem to be ok. All hardware has been detected correctly. But when I try to load the OS, Windows loads the install files and then blue screen comes out showing error codes and a bunch of troubleshooting options (which is pretty lame for those with some experience). I must say that I am by no means a newbie when it comes to built my own PCs for gaming and working. I've been doing this for about 15 years and this is the first time I had trouble installing an OS on a new build.

Here is the message that I'm getting:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure that you have adequate disk space. If a driver is indentified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS update. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing (I've never used this)
If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode."

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0X0000007E (0XFFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0XFFFFF8000C4CD513, 0XFFFFF880027CE8F8, 0XFFFFF880027CE150) :fou: 

Please help me.

Thanks in advance!
:hello: 

More about : win7 install build

Best solution

February 1, 2010 12:03:25 PM

run Memtest86+ for a while. It might be your RAM that's faulty. I've seen a lot of RAM issues attributed to STOP 0x0000007E.
February 1, 2010 12:05:57 PM

Are you installing from an original DVD or a copy? Did you test the memory to make sure that you get no errors?
m
l
Related resources
February 1, 2010 12:10:15 PM

gracefully said:
run Memtest86+ for a while. It might be your RAM that's faulty. I've seen a lot of RAM issues attributed to STOP 0x0000007E.

How do I a run that without an OS installed in my PC?
m
l
February 1, 2010 12:12:18 PM

GhislainG said:
Are you installing from an original DVD or a copy? Did you test the memory to make sure that you get no errors?

Original Windows DVD.

I'll try to test my RAM, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that with no OS... Thanks anyways.
m
l
February 1, 2010 12:13:01 PM

find memtest86+ on the Internet. It's basically a program that runs from CD (or USB, if that's your preference) that checks your RAM. No OS needed.
m
l
February 1, 2010 12:17:05 PM

gracefully said:
find memtest86+ on the Internet. It's basically a program that runs from CD (or USB, if that's your preference) that checks your RAM. No OS needed.

Thank you. I'll do that as soon as I get back from work. If not the RAM, what else could be wrong?
m
l
February 1, 2010 12:22:10 PM

Head over to the checklist for newly build PCs here in this forum. It might help you further with your current and upcoming builds, if ever.

Check cable connections, make sure everything's snug. Check the CPU cooler, if it's seated properly. I highly doubt it's your power supply, since you did say that the motherboard POSTed.
m
l
February 1, 2010 1:14:52 PM

gracefully said:
Head over to the checklist for newly build PCs here in this forum. It might help you further with your current and upcoming builds, if ever.

Check cable connections, make sure everything's snug. Check the CPU cooler, if it's seated properly. I highly doubt it's your power supply, since you did say that the motherboard POSTed.

I've double-checked every hardware part. If there is anything wrong, it's not possible to see it if your naked eyes. It must be internal, perhaps factory defect. It's not the hardware installation. Cooler properly seated, carefully installed with thermal paste and everything. Videocard seated nicely with the proper power cables connected on it. Memory sticks correctly placed (2x2gb dual channel config) and brackets locked in place.

I suspect this mobo might not be fully compatible with my Intel SSD, which is a last generation part on a not so up-to-date motherboard. Perhaps a BIOS flash is needed? I may try to load Windows on my Samsung HDD, but I paid 300 bucks on my SSD, so that would be a total waste of money... It did ship with a Mini-CD disk with installation drivers and instructions, but I couldn't load it without an OS, though. But I may be wrong here, because in the BIOS menus and load screens it recognizes the SSD perfectly. I'm totally lost here... :cry: 
m
l
February 1, 2010 1:53:23 PM

There's a part of the Windows installation where you can install drivers. Have you tried install the driver for your SSD at that point?
m
l
February 1, 2010 2:42:48 PM

Dougie Fresh said:
There's a part of the Windows installation where you can install drivers. Have you tried install the driver for your SSD at that point?

I never even reached that point, it won't let me. The darn Blue screen appears within the very first minute. As soon as Windows says: "Windows is starting to load files" then blue screen pops up and I got screwed. Any other suggestion?
m
l
February 1, 2010 3:26:31 PM

I would manually set your RAM speed/timings/voltage to the recommended specs. Is this your RAM?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If so, you should set the RAM to 1066MHz with 5-5-5-18 timings at 2.2v. Using RAM that runs above the 1.8v DDR2 standard is a very common cause of BSOD's until you set the values correctly in the BIOS. The motherboard rarely supplies the RAM with enough voltage when using "Auto" settings.
m
l
February 1, 2010 3:56:27 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
I would manually set your RAM speed/timings/voltage to the recommended specs. Is this your RAM?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If so, you should set the RAM to 1066MHz with 5-5-5-18 timings at 2.2v. Using RAM that runs above the 1.8v DDR2 standard is a very common cause of BSOD's until you set the values correctly in the BIOS. The motherboard rarely supplies the RAM with enough voltage when using "Auto" settings.

Yeah, that's my RAM.

Just did that, no dice. I set the memory voltage to 2.20 (or should I write 2.2v?) and the timings as you said. You think is it really a memory issue that I'm having here?

Now the blue screen says, on top of all that info that I posted earlier, the following error:

*** pci.sys - address FFFFF88001082218 base at FFFFF88001080000, DateStamp 4a5bc117

Thanks a lot for your help! :) 
m
l
February 1, 2010 4:20:11 PM

Nothing I do seems to make any difference... I tried removing one memory stick, switching places, restarting countless time, nothing happens!!

Does anybody know what's up with that? Anyone out there has ever heard of such error messages? I am really desperate... I spent a whole year buying parts and saving money and now that I got everything put together, I can't use it. Can't even install the OS. I'm really desperate.

Thanks in advance.
m
l
February 1, 2010 6:04:29 PM

Tune all your clocks back to the defaults.
m
l
February 1, 2010 7:57:28 PM

coasterman said:
Tune all your clocks back to the defaults.

Whick clocks? I didn't tweak any clocks. Every hardware part in my PC part is at default speeds.
m
l
February 2, 2010 7:48:58 AM

I think coasterman meant your RAM. Just a question, though. Is your SATA controller in IDE or AHCI mode? I don't think the Intel SSD likes IDE mode. Find that setting in your BIOS (It should be labeled something like "SATA Operation Mode") and change it appropriately.
m
l
February 19, 2010 4:57:08 PM

Best answer selected by MARSOC_Operator.
m
l
February 19, 2010 4:58:43 PM

Thanks everybody. It was one of the RAM sticks. I ordered a new pair and now everything is fine. My old memory stick is going back to the factory for replacement.
m
l
!