Sign in with
Your question

2560 x 1600 monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 25, 2010 3:53:10 PM

Hello all!

My first post on tom's hardware and im gonna start with a question.

I've been contemplating a 30" computer monitor for about a month now, and having looked about the only viable options for me would be the Samsung 305t+ or the Dell 3008WFP.

I would be using this monitor mainly for gaming and will probbably get either a 5870 or 5970 to go with so thats not really an issue. My first set of questions are what is the better monitor to go with? but also is there any word on anyone releasing a new 2560 x 1600 monitor in the near future? I may be able to get the Samsung through work for £710 which is massivley cheap, but I don't just wanna get something because I can get it cheap

Secondly I was going to keep my existing Samsung 2493HM monitor and position it portrait next to whatever I buy (and use it as a coding/assorted timewasting activities screen). My second set of questions are will the fact that there is an extra 320px height on the 2493HM cause any issue as far as crossing from on monitor to another goes? and also (I'm sure I can but...) there won't be any problems setting up a 2560 x 1600 screen and a 1200 x 1920 screen to work together?

Lastly tell me, just how awsome is gaming in 2560 x 1600 res?

:D  Thanks in advance

More about : 2560 1600 monitor

a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2010 5:22:38 PM

haven't heard anything about new 30" monitors though i think dell is releasing a new 27" 2560x1440 (16:9 instead of 16:10) sometime soon

the Dell 3008WFP is absolutely beautiful (a friend of mine has one), though i imagine someone can say the same about the Samsung

as for the screens working together, it depends what you mean, if you mean just extending the display to the older one that should be fine, if you mean using both in games it won't work

though if you had 2 of the same monitors you could use eyefinity to play games accross multiple monitors
January 25, 2010 9:33:45 PM

Just got a 3008 last week and it looks great. Went from a 19" to this and it just floored me on how big 30" is. Colors look great and the monitor itself looks amazing. With the brushed aluminum i love looking at when it is off. Only problem i've had is I think it came with a bad DisplayPort cable. I was getting what looked like R/G/B static across the entire screen. The other day I started using a DVI-D cable and haven't had a problem yet. I need to get a new DP cable to see if that was the problem.

Haven't played many games yet. All i've played so far is a little WoW. The colors look very good. Much better than my 19". The colors look very deep. Once again the size is really impressive. It fills up a lot of your vision. I don't know how things could look any better. I was a little concerned at the 8ms refresh rate, but I haven't noticed it. Of course playing WoW i probably won't.

I ran my 19" next to it in extended mode for just a little bit. It worked good enough. All i really did with it was run CPUID. I didn't really mess with it very much because I had another use for the screen.

I'd say I'm very happy with my 3008. Just make sure you have plenty of room for it, both on your desk and behind you so you can back up a little.
January 25, 2010 10:18:03 PM

Well gamewise I'll be playing TF2, CoD4, maybe BF:BC2 and GW2 when that arrives, so looking into it i don't personally see the response rate being much of an issue if at all.

But deskspace wise that may need some work ;) 
Related resources
!