mastercrim

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
I am building a new computer and had a HD question. I have been doing a lot of research and I plan on installing my OS on a SSD agility 3 120GB. I want a large storage drive around 1.5-2TB. I have kinda narrowed it down to the WD caviar black or green 2TB. I have seen benchmarks showing the black is faster then the green but i am curious about real world application just using to store movies, music, pictures and program install files. will i see a noticeable difference between the drives just with loading movies or music. I plan to even install games onto the SSD. I am a big WD fan and have been using there hard drives for many years and trust the brand. Any thoughts would be great.

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
There are times when it's a problem. If you launch large word documents or large video/audio editing project off the drive then you'll notice the difference. For smaller flies like music and for files like video where they don't all need to be loaded at once, though, it doesn't make a difference. I use Seagate green drives for storage of music, videos, and other files and the lowered speed has never been a problem.

That being said, 120GB is smaller than you think and if you ever want the option of loading applications off of the HDD then you should probably get the faster drive. If the price is close then getting a 7200RPM drive is better practice because it puts less restriction on your drive in the future.

The Western Digital caviar drives are overpriced. They're not faster or statistically more reliable than the competition provided by other brands - you're just paying for the brand name. That's not an insult or even a bad thing, really. There's nothing wrong with paying a little extra for a name that you trust. My point is, though, that if you don't want to pay for the Caviar Black then you might want to consider a Seagate 7200RPM drive before the Caviar Green line.