Solved

What is the best overclocking DDR2 memory and 800MHz vs 1066MHz

I have an ASUS Rampage Formula motherboard matched with an Intel Q6600 processor and plenty of cooling. I can create a beast of a system already. Now, to complete this bad boy, I need memory. I am looking for the best out there. I currently just have a basic 2GB Crucial DDR2-800 PC6400 DIMM in it just so it will work. Unfortunately, the Rampage Formula does not support DDR3. I ordered a 2x2GB DDR2-800 Crucial Ballistix kit and it will be here in 3 days. I did not read all of the reviews on Newegg.com before I ordered. Almost 85% of the reviews are really bad. Mostly everybody said that the DIMMs crapped out after 3-6 months, many BSODs, and multiple RMAs. I have already contacted Newegg and told them that I am going to refuse the delivery and get that RAM back to them ASAP. I am not looking for extreme overclocking but I am definitely going to bump up some settings for increased performance and I have heard that with this MOBO and processor, I can do some interesting things. So here are my questions. If I stay with DDR2-800, what is the toughest out there. I am thinking Transcend, G.Skill, or OCZ. I am possibly thinking about going with DDR2-1066 PC8500 instead. If I do that, I will have to lose the DDR2-800, or will I? Can I run 2x2GB of 1066 MHz in 2 DIMMs and keep the 2 GB 800 MHz in one of the other 2 DIMMs? Will going with 4GB of 1066MHz without the 2GB of 800MHz be faster? At this point, I think I am just going to get 4GB of some really good DDR2-800 for the first 2 DIMMs and get a match for the 2GB basic crucial for the other 2 DIMMs. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what overclocking ddr2 memory 800mhz 1066mhz
  1. Best answer
    Hi asheville67 and welcome to THG.

1- U won't see any difference between PC2-6400 and PC2-8500 so don't waste ur moeny in the 8500 RAM get 6400 that is enough and can be OC.
    2- Do u want change Crucial for Trascend? :lol: Crucial and Corsair are the only manufacturers that use micron chips that are the best for RAM and other components if u really want change the crucial for something good get Corsair or buy a different Crucial reference.
  2. Thanks for the reply. I was steering towards the G.Skill Tridents. I had never heard that some memory manufacturers use Micron D9 chips and some do not. I found this interesting. This is a list of the manufacturers that do use those chips:

http://forum.overclock3d.net/index.php?showtopic=5854
  3. Bro that article is from 2006 when DDR3 was a dream and DDR2 was the best option for performance.
  4. Whoops. Missed the date displayed clearly on the top of the page. Sorry about that.
  5. Best answer selected by asheville67.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus DDR2 Motherboards