Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive wont boot up on differnet computer

Last response: in CPUs
April 8, 2010 7:39:03 PM

i am trying to boot from a hard drive out of my old compaq that i put into a dell that has no operating system on it. my compaq drive has XP black on it. i set the compaq to master and the other to slave. when i boot up it wont start. am i doing something wrong?
a c 96 à CPUs
April 8, 2010 8:29:54 PM

phoreverdead said:
i am trying to boot from a hard drive out of my old compaq that i put into a dell that has no operating system on it. my compaq drive has XP black on it. i set the compaq to master and the other to slave. when i boot up it wont start. am i doing something wrong?

I can think of a few things:

1. You have the jumpers on the IDE HDDs improperly set or the BIOS doesn't like Cable Select mode. Explicitly set the HDD jumpers to Master and Slave.
2. You forgot to define the Compaq's HDD as #1 in the BIOS HDD boot sequence.
3. You forgot to properly plug in a data or power cable to the HDD, or it is loose.
4. You accidentally nuked the bootloader or there is some other software problem that prevents that computer from booting the OS on the HDD.
5. The Dell has defective hardware that won't let it boot.
April 8, 2010 8:37:23 PM

the compaq HDD works fine. i put it back in my old comp just to get on the net and post these forums. the HDD i want to boot is set as primary 0 and the second as primary 1. is that wrong? it recognizes them in the setup as what they are
Related resources
a c 96 à CPUs
April 8, 2010 8:39:40 PM

phoreverdead said:
the compaq HDD works fine. i put it back in my old comp just to get on the net and post these forums. the HDD i want to boot is set as primary 0 and the second as primary 1. is that wrong? it recognizes them in the setup as what they are

If you put the Compaq's HDD back in the Compaq, I would expect it to work. Put it in the Dell and go into the BIOS and see if/where it shows up in the boot order.
April 8, 2010 8:43:43 PM

to get to the BIOS is hit F2 right? sorry, its been so long since ive worked on computers.
a c 180 à CPUs
April 8, 2010 8:49:24 PM

If I understand you correctly, you have an old hard drive with an old OS with some hardware drivers for specific components that are installed in your old Compaq.....and now you put it in a new system with completely different hardware and expect it to boot ? It ain't happenin'.

As the system tries to boot hardware drivers for the old system are trying to load and then saying "what the hell ?" There ain't no [insert Compaq chipset] here why the hell am I trying to load [insert Compaq chipset] drivers ? It's looking for a CPU that isn't there, specific RAM that isn't there and a bunch of other stuff that isn't there.

You want to install an old HD in a new machine and have it boot, then you gotta format the bugger and install the OS fresh on it....so windows can load drivers for the specific components that it detects on the Dell.

April 8, 2010 8:57:04 PM

thanks jack, that makes a whole lot more sense. nice pic btw, old school Dead movie from the 70's. well heres my full dilemma. i got this newer comp (Dell) i tried to reformat it and reinstall XP cause it was slow and full of junk. it got halfway through installing and froze. i tried it again, it froze again. i guess the disc i have was scratched. so now i have no copy of XP that works. so i have half an OS installed on the dell. so i tried downloading a new copy onto the compaq to burn it to a disc and use on the dell and the compaq recognizes the burner i put in it but wont burn a cd. its weird, i got the drivers for the DVD-rw and it still wont use it to burn. so im stuck. have any advice? or am i just up a creek w/ out a paddle?
a c 96 à CPUs
April 8, 2010 8:59:17 PM

phoreverdead said:
to get to the BIOS is hit F2 right? sorry, its been so long since ive worked on computers.

Yes. I think you can bring up just the boot menu if you hit F12, but it's been a while since I have had to muck around in the BIOS of my Dell laptop.
April 8, 2010 9:10:57 PM

MU_Engineer said:
Yes. I think you can bring up just the boot menu if you hit F12, but it's been a while since I have had to muck around in the BIOS of my Dell laptop.

F2? F12? Where you guys getting this stuff?

Most PCs use Delete as the key to enter BIOS setup. The only thing remotely close is F8, which is the Windows advanced boot selection screen.
April 8, 2010 9:11:36 PM

phoreverdead said:

You're trying to boot to a drive with NO O/S ON IT?

I hope that was a typo, because there's no way you can boot from any device without an O/S installed on it.
April 8, 2010 9:16:22 PM

no,no. i meant the 2nd hard drive has no OS. the WD out of my compaq has an OS but the one in the dell does not.
a c 96 à CPUs
April 8, 2010 10:40:24 PM

Thadius856 said:
F2? F12? Where you guys getting this stuff?

F2 is the correct to enter Dell's BIOSes on newer computers. Where am I getting it from? How about Dell themselves? Or I can take a video of me hitting "F2" at the POST screen of my Latitude E5400 and show that it enters the BIOS setup?

Quote:
Most PCs use Delete as the key to enter BIOS setup. The only thing remotely close is F8, which is the Windows advanced boot selection screen.

Yes, except that unlike most PCs, Dell PCs use a custom BIOS written by Dell rather than a version of an American Megatrends (AMI) or Phoenix BIOS. Thus it is not surprising they use a different key to enter the BIOS setup.

In the future, please read up on the topic and find out what the correct answer actually is before jumping in a discussion and basically calling those who do have the correct answer idiots. Also, if you would have read the entire thread, you would have heard that the hard drive in question has Windows XP on it; it is NOT blank. :non: 

April 9, 2010 3:04:08 AM

whenever i try something like this i first go into the bios and reset it to default settings
!