Sign in with
Your question

GTS240 Upgrade?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 25, 2010 6:30:03 PM

I just received my Dell XPS 9000 with the GTS 240 Card. I was told at time of purchase that it had HDMI out.... but it only has 2 X DVI. I have to use a DVI to HDMI adapter which doesn't give me any audio to my HDTV. Dell will not trade out this card... I have to return the whole computer and start a new order which is a pain. I prefer to just bite the bullet and buy a replacement graphics card. Can someone please recommend a card that has HDMI which will carry audio without any additional cabling. The GTS240 is a decent enough card (if it had HDMI) although I can afford better. Just so you know.... I'm not a high end gamer.... not yet anyway.

Thanks!

More about : gts240 upgrade

January 25, 2010 6:57:16 PM

A good choice would be an ATI 5770 - it would also give you DX11 support and better performance than your 240 (and you could still use the 240 as a dedicated physx card if your MOBO has 2 PCI-e slots) - and the 5770 has HDMI and supports Audio\Video and stereo multi channel (up to 7.1) audio formats
m
l
Related resources
January 25, 2010 7:03:04 PM

Well if he paid for a 240 he should have gotten a 240 and as far as I know all 240's come with HDMI....
m
l
January 25, 2010 7:07:29 PM

Before you pick a new card you need to tell us what your power supply is.

Slightly better than the Gt 240 in performance would be the 5670 for $99--it would also probably be safe on whatever PSU is running at GT 240.
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
January 25, 2010 7:12:49 PM

If it's a Dell GTS240 then it's the OEM 8800/9800GT, which did not have HDMI out as a standard feature.
m
l
January 25, 2010 7:14:53 PM

The stock PSU on the 9000 is a 475w, so he should be fine with anything up to a 5770....
m
l
January 25, 2010 7:26:59 PM

OvrClkr said:
Well if he paid for a 240 he should have gotten a 240 and as far as I know all 240's come with HDMI....

I agree but DELL is notorious for this type of thing - their GTS 240 is a rebranded 8800\9800GT which only supports HDMI through an adapter ! - Just one more reason to avoid DELL - and also the reason Why I posted a warning the other day when the thread about a sale on the 5870 (IIRC) video card at an extremely low price was circulating, about ensuring the Specs were identical to other models of the card - (for which several members gave me flack about !!)
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
January 25, 2010 7:33:23 PM

JDFan said:
I agree but DELL is notorious for this type of thing - their GTS 240 is a rebranded 8800\9800GT which only supports HDMI through an adapter ! - Just one more reason to avoid DELL - and also the reason Why I posted a warning the other day when the thread about a sale on the 5870 (IIRC) video card at an extremely low price was circulating, about ensuring the Specs were identical to other models of the card - (for which several members gave me flack about !!)

As an OEM card it will be sold through all OEM's like HP, Acer and suchlike not just Dell.
m
l
January 25, 2010 7:38:41 PM

Mousemonkey said:
If it's a Dell GTS240 then it's the OEM 8800/9800GT, which did not have HDMI out as a standard feature.

As far as I know there is no such thing as a "Dell GT 240" it is either a GT 240 or something else..... I bet the OP did not get a GT 240, he must have gotten that crappy E310 that ships with the 9000 by default....

m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
January 25, 2010 7:43:26 PM

john013 said:
I just received my Dell XPS 9000 with the GTS 240 Card.

OvrClkr said:
As far as I know there is no such thing as a "Dell GT 240" it is either a GT 240 or something else..... I bet the OP did not get a GT 240, he must have gotten that crappy E310 that ships with the 9000 by default....

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gts_240_us.html [:mousemonkey]
m
l
January 25, 2010 7:46:09 PM

OvrClkr said:

IT's GTS 240 and is an option on many system builds - Like THis ( http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc189/JDFanning_buck... ) for example as a $160 extra !!
m
l
January 25, 2010 7:57:36 PM

Thanks for clearing that one up ;)  , its a shame that the OP has to deal with such an issue. I just got off the phone with an XPS rep and he states that all OEM 240's "HAVE" an HDMI output... Even their techy's have no clue as to what hardware they put into their systems....
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
January 25, 2010 8:00:22 PM

OvrClkr said:
Thanks for clearing that one up ;)  , its a shame that the OP has to deal with such an issue. I just got off the phone with an XPS rep and he states that all OEM 240's "HAVE" an HDMI output... Even their techy's have no clue as to what hardware they put into their systems....

:lol:  That just goes to show what we all already know, Dell rep's are twazzocks.
m
l
January 25, 2010 8:34:27 PM

Wow.... you folks are great.... thanks for the replies.
The GTS240 is a Dell OEM product and does not have HDMI.
The reason why I sprung for this card was the Dell Sales Rep insisted it had an HDMI port even though the picture showed 2X DVI.

I think I'll get the ATI HD 5770 as a replacement.

Thanks again.
m
l
a c 80 Î Nvidia
January 25, 2010 8:41:37 PM

You are more patient than I'd be. I was talking to a guy the other day that had an issue with his Dell, he called and complained, and sent it back for a full refund. He got his refund, and they also sent him a FREE phenom II system for his troubles.

I personally would want to complain that you were sold something due to a bad representative of their company.
m
l
January 25, 2010 8:42:49 PM

I would love to see more people building instead of buying pre-built crap PC's....
m
l
January 25, 2010 8:43:36 PM

Might contact Dell and tell them the only reason you bought it was the Rep telling you that and politely suggest if they want to keep a customer they should pay the return postage on the Card (or let you just keep it) and refund you the cost of the upgrade since it is unuseable without the HDMI for your purpose and you were specifically told it had it !) - Figure if you can get the $160 that they charge as an upgrade you can pay for the 5770 (newegg has one for $162 with free shipping) - Just be persistent with them and keep asking for their manager until they agree to do something for you.
m
l
January 25, 2010 8:46:53 PM

Yep, if you are persistant they will help you out... If you do not call them they will think you are satisfied....
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
January 25, 2010 8:53:58 PM

And if you were to do as OvrClkr did and phone them except that you record the call as well, then after the rep tells you that "all OEM 240's "HAVE" an HDMI output" you will have then have the evidence to not only rip them a new one but to then also insert a pineapple that has been coated in powdered glass, just remember 'push and twist, push and twist'.
m
l
January 25, 2010 9:00:25 PM

Mousemonkey said:
And if you were to do as OvrClkr did and phone them except that you record the call as well, then after the rep tells you that "all OEM 240's "HAVE" an HDMI output" you will have then have the evidence to not only rip them a new one but to then also insert a pineapple that has been coated in powdered glass, just remember 'push and twist, push and twist'.

lol ................ :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

could not have said that any better ;) 
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
January 25, 2010 9:04:55 PM

OvrClkr said:
lol ................ :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

could not have said that any better ;) 

;)  Ta, and for those who haven't sussed it, I'm not Dell's No.1 fan.
m
l
January 25, 2010 9:43:07 PM

I just don't like the fact that you hit a wall when it is time to upgrade the motherboard. That is not fair at all since the purpose of this is to lure you into buying a new system every 3-5 years. If Dell was like Cyberpower and Ibuypower where they actually use real "boards" then everyone would be happy and the company would have a better reputation. I have had my bad shares with Dell as well, not only for customers who want a Dell but for Corp. purposes where you normally buy a few dozen units and hope they last at least 5 years....
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
January 25, 2010 10:04:43 PM

I've had to deal with Dell's phone reps, 'nuff said.
m
l
January 25, 2010 10:18:54 PM

useless.... and hard to understand.....

and 3 hours later they have the nuts to ask "HAVE I ANSWERED ALL YOUR QUESTIONS?" and the best one "WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO TRANSFER YOU TO MY SUPERVISOR JUST SO YOU CAN TELL HIM HOW MY PERFORMANCE WAS? .... click, i hung up.....

m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
January 25, 2010 10:54:54 PM

OvrClkr said:

and 3 hours later they have the nuts to ask "HAVE I ANSWERED ALL YOUR QUESTIONS?" and the best one "WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO TRANSFER YOU TO MY SUPERVISOR JUST SO YOU CAN TELL HIM HOW MY PERFORMANCE WAS? .... click, i hung up.....

They only say that because they know you can't get physically violent on their asses.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 26, 2010 1:00:22 AM

OvrClkr said:

Ahh, that's EXACTLY where you went wrong. You should have insisted on speaking to a supervisor when it was clear the lower end person either didn't know what they were talking about or was purposely giving you the run around. Asking for someones name and insisting on talking to their supervisor usually makes people change their tune fast and if not repeat the process with the supervisor as they have supervisors as well. Eventually you will get to someone that either knows what they are talking about or is willing to make up for whatever is bothering you. Often the lower end people are just screening out simple problems or trying to get you to go away and not bother them. If you have a reasonable request/problem don't let them put you off. Like what the OP said. They advertised HDMI and it doesn't have HDMI. It is NOT your problem it is theirs and they should give you a card that has HDMI. Call them and insist on speaking with people higher and higher up the chain of command until you get to someone that will acknowledge this. It will probably take a while and be an annoying process but it's better than getting shafted and paying for it yourself IMO.
m
l
January 26, 2010 1:19:11 AM

jyjjy said:
Ahh, that's EXACTLY where you went wrong. You should have insisted on speaking to a supervisor when it was clear the lower end person either didn't know what they were talking about or was purposely giving you the run around. Asking for someones name and insisting on talking to their supervisor usually makes people change their tune fast and if not repeat the process with the supervisor as they have supervisors as well. Eventually you will get to someone that either knows what they are talking about or is willing to make up for whatever is bothering you. Often the lower end people are just screening out simple problems or trying to get you to go away and not bother them. If you have a reasonable request/problem don't let them put you off. Like what the OP said. They advertised HDMI and it doesn't have HDMI. It is NOT your problem it is theirs and they should give you a card that has HDMI. Call them and insist on speaking with people higher and higher up the chain of command until you get to someone that will acknowledge this. It will probably take a while and be an annoying process but it's better than getting shafted and paying for it yourself IMO.

Ohh, I spoke to many supervisors if we add up all the calls that I have made to them in about a 10 year span. My issue was mainly with my warranty. For example back in 1999 I purchased about 20 PC's for an office. I made SURE that they all had 4 year FULL COVER warranty since the company was going to pay for that anyways. After 3 years of use a few of the PC's started to cough... So i began healing them by troubleshooting on my own because this would save time and money. If the HD or any other piece of hardware failed then YES i would call them up for a replacement. But when a board dies on you 3 months before the warranty expires it is a battle between you and the REP... Funny thing was that I read the fineprint and it clearly stated "EVERYTHING" when it comes to the hardware's warranty. Anyways DELL reps are clueless when it comes to helping and this is mainly because they work with a system, once you call in they need your service tag because the HAVE NO IDEA WHAT XPS means, without a service tag or ID they are lost ducks.... I test them when I call (just for fun), for example I act like a noob and ask them what CPU can I upgrade to with a certain model (ex: XPS 410) and the XPS techy said "well if it fits you should be good to go" so I asked him, does this mean I can use a Core2Duo on this board, and he replies " um let me check" 2 min later he un-mutes the phone and says "yea just push it in the socket and slap the cooler on with a bit of paste and you will be flying ;)  " so I laughed for about a min and hung up....
m
l
January 26, 2010 1:24:17 AM

So... I just got off the phone with Dell again regarding this issue and actually did get elevated to a supervisor. They just continued to tell me the same apologetic nonsense: "They can not accept a return of an inside component for credit or exchange for a different device." I laid into them in a rather unapologetic manner, explaining that their customer service is severely lacking and I would never buy their product again. They didn't seem to care at all.... and it was a Customer Care supervisor I was speaking with.
Their solution is to have me return the whole computer, order another one with a different video card, and wait about 3-4 weeks again for delivery. Wouldn't you think that just crediting me the cost of the card rather than incur the shipping and handling of the system being returned makes logical sense?
What a terrible experience.... I won't soon forget this runaround.
m
l
January 26, 2010 1:27:35 AM

john013 said:
So... I just got off the phone with Dell again regarding this issue and actually did get elevated to a supervisor. They just continued to tell me the same apologetic nonsense: "They can not accept a return of an inside component for credit or exchange for a different device." I laid into them in a rather unapologetic manner, explaining that their customer service is severely lacking and I would never buy their product again. They didn't seem to care at all.... and it was a Customer Care supervisor I was speaking with.
Their solution is to have me return the whole computer, order another one with a different video card, and wait about 3-4 weeks again for delivery. Wouldn't you think that just crediting me the cost of the card rather than incur the shipping and handling of the system being returned makes logical sense?
What a terrible experience.... I won't soon forget this runaround.

I understand your frustration, I lived it ;) 

Im going to ask a simple question, I think I already know the answer though :??: 

Why don't you build your own PC?

m
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 26, 2010 1:34:27 AM

Well remember there's always someone higher up(unless you are somehow actually speaking to the CEO.) That supervisor has a boss. Insist on speaking to them. Ask if they will send you a replacement computer FIRST and let you return your current system after it has been received.
m
l
January 26, 2010 1:55:08 AM

OvrClkr said:
I understand your frustration, I lived it ;) 

Im going to ask a simple question, I think I already know the answer though :??: 

Why don't you build your own PC?

I haven't built a system in about 7 or 8 years..... I decided to just buy a Dell rather than build one. Obviously it was a bad decision...... besides, I'm getting too old to try and keep up with this stuff. :lol: 
m
l
a c 80 Î Nvidia
January 26, 2010 1:57:26 AM

john013 said:
I haven't built a system in about 7 or 8 years..... I decided to just buy a Dell rather than build one. Obviously it was a bad decision...... besides, I'm getting too old to try and keep up with this stuff. :lol: 

There is a home build section here. They are really good at building a system if you help them out. You could copy someone elses build and tweak it a little if needed. They are quite helpful there.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 26, 2010 2:02:43 AM

Yeah, building yourself is definitely the best idea. You can actually build a pretty decent gaming computer for $400-500 these days. Knowing what parts to order is what sites like this are for. If you tell me your budget I can make some suggestions as to what you should be looking at in general.
m
l
January 26, 2010 2:50:26 AM

john013 said:

These are the main reasons why you get a better PC when you build :

1. You choose the parts, REAL parts not generic crap that OEM's use.
2. No need to deal with motherboards that cannot be upgraded down the road.
3. You build your PC to YOUR specific needs, not limited by the lousy sellection you get by an OEM.
4. You learn alot just by putting the PC together, this in turn helps when something goes wrong.
5. Satisfaction knowing that YOU built it.
5. Money saved for upgrades down the road.
6. No more calls to DELL, meaning no more headaches ;) 
7. Your built system will be upgradable for many years to come, no need to shell out 1 or 2k every 3 years for a new system.
8. Once you are done building and you fire that baby up you will have a smile on your face that will light up a room....
9. well you get the idea [:jaydeejohn:5]
m
l
February 2, 2010 12:49:15 AM

** update **
Got the Sapphire HD 5770 card today and it installed without a hitch using the new Catalyst 10.1 drivers. And.... I have excellent sound thru the HDMI cable.
This is the set-up I was originally asking for from Dell.
The $169 spent on the new card is worth not getting frustrated dealing with Dell.
The GTS240 is being donated to a good friend as an upgrade to their system.
I think everyone is happy....

Thanks to everyone who assisted on this.
m
l
a c 80 Î Nvidia
February 2, 2010 1:40:42 AM

It's good to know the GTS240 isn't going to waste. Enjoy your new system!
m
l
February 2, 2010 2:51:09 AM

Glad it all worked out - and I'm sure your friend is happy with the way it turned out !! Also pretty sure you'll be happier with the 5770 than you would have been with the 240 even if it had had the HDMI output also.
m
l
February 24, 2010 6:19:45 AM

I just wanted to respond to the query as to why some people opt for a Dell instead of building their own. It is possible to buy a new Dell cheaper than you can build a machine, once you add in the cost of OS and monitor. My Vostro 220 cost me $419 + shipping and sales tax (in Dec of '08). It included a nice 20" DVI monitor, Core 2 Duo E7300, 2 gigs ram, 250 gb hard drive. I upgraded to 4 gb of ram ($45 at the time), a Radeon HD-4670 $65 (ran fine on 300W PSU) and a $25 wireless usb network adapter. For less than $600 total, I had a machine that could play pretty much any game at 1440x900 res with Vista Home premium. Seriously, I couldn't have built one for anywhere near that, especially including the nice monitor.
More recently, I ordered a new Emachine for my sister in law. Don't cringe, it only had a Celeron 420 CPU, 2 gigs of ram, onboard Nvidia 7050 video and 160 gig hd. But it did come with Vista Home basic, a media card reader, DVD-RW and for a total cost of $189 shipped it totally beat any upgrade I could have done to her old system (a Duron 1300, 40 gig HD, pirated XP, no disc to reinstall, 256 mb of PC-133 ram) for the same price. I may upgrade her PSU and add toss in an old video card to further enhance it, but she and her husband are totally thrilled with it as is! I guess everything is relative.
m
l
February 24, 2010 2:08:09 PM

2ndtimer said:
I just wanted to respond to the query as to why some people opt for a Dell instead of building their own. It is possible to buy a new Dell cheaper than you can build a machine, once you add in the cost of OS and monitor. My Vostro 220 cost me $419 + shipping and sales tax (in Dec of '08). It included a nice 20" DVI monitor, Core 2 Duo E7300, 2 gigs ram, 250 gb hard drive. I upgraded to 4 gb of ram ($45 at the time), a Radeon HD-4670 $65 (ran fine on 300W PSU) and a $25 wireless usb network adapter. For less than $600 total, I had a machine that could play pretty much any game at 1440x900 res with Vista Home premium. Seriously, I couldn't have built one for anywhere near that, especially including the nice monitor.
More recently, I ordered a new Emachine for my sister in law. Don't cringe, it only had a Celeron 420 CPU, 2 gigs of ram, onboard Nvidia 7050 video and 160 gig hd. But it did come with Vista Home basic, a media card reader, DVD-RW and for a total cost of $189 shipped it totally beat any upgrade I could have done to her old system (a Duron 1300, 40 gig HD, pirated XP, no disc to reinstall, 256 mb of PC-133 ram) for the same price. I may upgrade her PSU and add toss in an old video card to further enhance it, but she and her husband are totally thrilled with it as is! I guess everything is relative.

Well that was one hell of a deal you got there :o  , try buying an OEM with decent specs and a monitor in these times... Trust me it won't cost you 400.00$ ;) 

m
l
February 24, 2010 2:45:07 PM

2ndtimer said:

I'd agree that at some times there are good deals out there on a prebuilt system and for some users they work well - the thing is this is a hardware forum and most enthusiasts are not going to be happy with a pre-built system for example the Vostro 220 you mention - while for the price it seems a good deal when you really look at the items included it is about $419 worth of lower end parts - the E7300 is one of the low end core 2 duo chips that has been phased out (not sure when you purchased but it was most likely during the time it was being phased out so was sold at a discounted price to reduce inventory) - the 2 Gigs of Ram are probably also higher latency and lower speed than a person buying and building a system would use, the 250 GB HDD is probably a slower model with a smaller cache, the copy of the Windows OS is most likely OEM so can not be reused for a new system since the license is tied to the MOBO which is also probably a cheaper model possibly even having some parts removed from the regular versions of the MOBO (many prebuilts only include 2 DIMM slots or a smaller # of other slots on the MOBO) - And finally as mentioned the 300W PSU is going to limit the upgrade possibilities in the future.

So while for you it may have been a good deal and you were aware of the limitations with it and it fit your needs, but in most cases for a hardware enthusiast they are not really that good of a deal when you start looking at the total system compared to what you could assemble by selecting each part yourself - Again that is dependent on what your needs and plans for the system are.
m
l
a c 80 Î Nvidia
February 24, 2010 3:47:34 PM

I personally have no issues with people buying prebuilts or Dell's. They are good for people who don't know much and wouldn't try to upgrade a system in the future. However, as mentioned above, these prebuilt systems are usually very difficult to upgrade, and that has bothered me in the past when I got lazy and bought a prebuilt.
m
l
!