Sign in with
Your question

Purchase OCZ RAM While I Have The Chance?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 4, 2010 5:13:55 PM

Hello,

With the recent decision of OCZ to scale back its production of DIMM consumer RAM, I started wondering if it's necessary to purchase OCZ RAM now while I have a chance.

I have one 2GB PC2-6400 Platinum (with the pretty heatsink)(OCZ2P800R22GK) and I want to make my system forward compatible for x64 bit OS's and gaming (on top of music production). If I purchased any old 2GB PC2-6400 RAM and put it in any of the three available slots in my ASUS P5QL-Pro, would I see a great difference than if I purchased a OCZ Platinum 2GB of the identical RAM I already have?

Main question is, just how much of a performance boost do you receive when running dual-channel identical ram (same timings, same manufacturer)

I can get a Kingston PC2-6400 2GB value ram for less than half of the OCZ. So the performance difference would have to be pretty substantial to merit the extra cost.

I would like to make my system as stable as possible as when recording audio into my HDD I want to keep the system running smooth. Any idea if mixing RAM from different manufacturers will cause any problems with system stability?

I'd also Like to know if I can mix different voltage frequencies (for example PC2-6400 and PC2-8500) in the available ram space.

Many thanks for taking the time to help.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 136 V Motherboard
September 5, 2010 7:33:35 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums
Well going from 2GB to 4GB will give you a good boost in performance;however, its recommended to use a RAM with same timings,voltage and speed because if they don't have the same specs,then you have to change the settings manually and it may make your system unstable.
September 5, 2010 1:24:38 PM

Maziar said:
Hello and welcome to the forums

Hello Maziar. Thanks for answering my question and making me feel welcome. I appreciate it!

That has cleared up any issue of using different RAM speeds with my system.

Another query was if I purchase a Kingston 2GB PC2-6400 and use that instead of the OCZ 2GB PC2-6400.

Quote:
its recommended to use a RAM with same timings,voltage and speed because if they don't have the same specs,then you have to change the settings manually and it may make your system unstable.

The OCZ will have identical timings to the one I currently have. The Kingston will have different timings. Other than that, same speed, same voltage. How would that affect system stability?

basically, it's cheaper to buy all new Kingston RAM of 2x2GB that buy more OCZ to have a dual channel set. That is, if it's worth having dual channel ram. I know you CAN run two separate channels of ram.

Thanks in advance.
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 136 V Motherboard
September 5, 2010 6:00:23 PM

Well if it has different timings,then you have to lower/raise it to reach the other RAM's timings, however it "may" cause instability because changing timings may require changing voltages and other settings too.
September 5, 2010 7:09:23 PM

Thanks again Maziar.

So you mean that it is possible to run another RAM module along in dual channel mode even if it isn't an identical model providing you matched the timings?

Cheers for the info.

I started reading some other posts but was unable to find out how important parity is in RAM channels. I found this -
which illustrates a part of the information I am trying to research.

I also posted a new topic which is specifically about dual channel memory and running systems with available RAM modules.

It's really helpful that you have answered some of my queries and I hope that some of this may be of use to other people browsing the web for the solutions to their problems re: RAM and mobo's dual channel slots.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 136 V Motherboard
September 5, 2010 8:39:10 PM

Let me give you an example, if you have 2 RAMs with the same specs(except for timings),you can use them in one board, however you have to change one of their timings and match it with the other one.
So its possible but not recommended because it may lead to instability.
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 6, 2010 8:51:55 AM

The title of this topic has been edited by Buwish
September 8, 2010 2:20:09 PM

UPDATED: Shortly after I posted this thread, I went onto google shopping in the UK to locate the said 2GB Kingston DDR2 PC2-6400 VALUERAM. The previous models that were being sold for around £15 have disappeared, replaced by ones for around £32.

I attempted to contact friends in China and in the USA but it seems the last of OCZ's platinum DD2 PC2-6400 are being sold in dual channel sets.

I guess I will be waiting until I find a good second hand set or a cheap consumer level RAM set hits the market again.
!