Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Is it ok to use an 8 pin CPU power connector for a I3-540?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • CPUs
  • Power
  • Components
Last response: in Components
April 8, 2010 9:40:16 PM

Its been several years since a build and it seems ive forgotten more than I thought.
I have the i3 540 and my motherboard has an 8 pin CPU power connector. Is it ok to use an 8 pin or should i just stick with a 4 pin?

More about : pin cpu power connector 540

a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2010 10:14:20 PM

You can use the 8 pin CPU with a 4 pin CPU power.
m
l
a c 264 ) Power supply
a c 861 à CPUs
April 9, 2010 6:14:32 AM

Read your motherboard manual. Most of the time it will say that using only a 4 pin connector is OK unless the motherboard needs extra power for overclocking or for added pci power to handle a strong video card.

However in this case, you have an 8 pin lead for an 8 pin connector on the motherboard. That is exactly the intended use.

What is the problem?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
April 9, 2010 5:41:44 PM

You can safely use either. The 8 Pin connection is required for Processor => 125 Watts, which you are well under. Is there an advantage to using the 8 pin connection when only a 4 pin connection is required - Yes. It reduces the I squared R losses at the connector and the wires / MB traces. Again, not a biggy in your case, but if you have it, use the 8 Pin connection.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 9, 2010 5:43:41 PM

You can use either 8 or 4 pin. It doesn't matter unless you are using an extremely high power CPU (such as a heavily OC Bloomfield), in which case 8 pin is better.
m
l