Some help building first gaming pc

Cap10Planet

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next month or so

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (Particularly WoW and hopefully newer games such as Fallout 3), Audio/Music Recording, some flash animations, and occasional photoshop.

PARTS THAT I HAVE AND WOULD LIKE TO SALVAGE IF POSSIBLE:

* Geforce fx 5900 sp

* Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS PCI Sound Card
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=n82e16829102178

* Maxtor 200GB 7200RPM 8MB SATA/150 Hard Drive (I believe I have two of these)
http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.asp?c=202&s=1004&ID=45029&P=F

* 2 sticks of 512mb pc3200 Samsung RAM

* AMD Athalon- 64 3200mhz CPU

* Cooler Master, Wave Master, Case
(http://store.cwc-group.com/cowamatatxca.html)

*Windows 7 Professional 64bit

*Sony - BRAVIA / 40" Class / 1080p / 120Hz / LCD HDTV (monitor)

*I also have a few dvd drives/burners, so I don't think I'll be needing one of those.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg or Ebay

OVERCLOCKING: Probably not.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

I don't mind buying used computer parts on ebay, at a cheaper price, as long as it's from a respectable seller.
I'd say $800 is the absolute most I would want to spend, and I would like to avoid spending that much if possible.
I would, more than everything else, like to be able to use the Sound Card, Hard drives, and Case.
I'm not all that knowledgeable about CPUs however, but I imagine that the one I listed probably wont get the job done.
The Geforce fx 5900 sp also seems to be very out of date, but I listed it just in case there's something it might be useful for. I doubt it though.

Also, are there any problems that I might run into using my tv as a monitor?

Ok, I think that's everything. Thanks for any help you guys can give me. :)

Starting with what you can reuse: sound card (not really necessary), case, HDD as a data/backup drive. Do you not have an optical drive?

$800 gets you quite a bit nowdays. Here's a good build:

CPU: Phenom II X4 955 $166
Mobo: Asus M4A79XTD EVO $110 after rebate (usually in a combo with CPU, but it's not right now)
RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $110
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB $55
PSU: Corsair 650W $70 after rebate
Optical (if needed): Cheapest SATA DVD burner $24
GPU: HD 5850 $290

Total: $825. Might be some more combos/deals around, or you can lower the cost by getting a cheaper CPU.

And there is nothing wrong with using your TV as a monitor. It might be a little lower quality, but it still looks good.

Cap10Planet

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Well, I have a few internal optical drives. I'm just not sure on the specifics.
I THINK the one I have installed in my cooler master case is a Mitsumi DW-7801TE 4x DVD+RW Drive. I have a few more laying around the house somewhere, and I also have an external HP 15x DVD R/ drive. Is it very important that I get a new optical drive? I figured that it wouldn't really matter, as long as it worked good enough to install games and/or software.

Also, I always heard that the sound card would reduce some strain on the CPU, increase my frame rate in games by a small %, and increase the quality of my recordings. Plus, I'd be able to connect my midi interfaces through the MIDI to soundcard gameport... Although, I suppose could always use a midi to usb cable.

Anyways, should I just do away with the card, or go ahead and connect it to my new mobo if I have a free slot?

The optical isn't important at all, which is why I asked if you had one laying around.

I've never heard that about the sound card before. Pretty much all motherboards have good audio, and gaming is never bottlenecked by the CPU. That means that even if it did occupy the CPU, there's room to spare in games, so it wouldn't affect frame rate.

You could go ahead and move the sound card over. I would try out the onboard audio first, as it might actually be better.

TRENDING THREADS