2 ssds in raid 0 + mechanical drive what does that make it 0+1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in purchasing 2 120 gig Corsair GT sata III drives but would also like to keep my 500 gig seagate sata 2 drive for the bulk of my storage would I be able to accomplish this and what would it make it? I'll list my setup below and the SSD's im looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233191

Intel Core i5 2500k
Asrock Z68 EXTREME4 Gen 3
(2) EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX560Ti FPB
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 8GB (2x4)
OCZ Vertex 2 90GB SSD (boot/game drive)
Seagate Barracuda 500 GB SATA II
LG 12x Super Multi Blue WH12LS38
CM Storm Sniper
Corsair AX850 PSU
Corsair Hydro H100

Solution
Your motherboard does not support RAID 0+1. You would need to buy a RAID controller card that supports RAID 0+1.

You would not want to do it even if your motherboard supported it. You need identical drives for best performance.
The performance of any RAID array is based upon the drive with the slowest specs. So your read/write speeds would be based upon your 500GB HDD.

Put the 2 Corsairs in RAID-0 if you wish but do not have the HDD as part of any RAID array with the SSDs.
Your motherboard does not support RAID 0+1. You would need to buy a RAID controller card that supports RAID 0+1.

You would not want to do it even if your motherboard supported it. You need identical drives for best performance.
The performance of any RAID array is based upon the drive with the slowest specs. So your read/write speeds would be based upon your 500GB HDD.

Put the 2 Corsairs in RAID-0 if you wish but do not have the HDD as part of any RAID array with the SSDs.

Solution

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
Yes the raided performance of the SSD would be MUCH faster than the spindle drive.

so when it tries to mirror the raid 0 on the fly (Raid 0+1) the raid 0 will have slow down to ensure no corruption happens.

to correctly do 0+1 you need your 1 drive to be as fast as the Raid 0 array.

like Dereck47 said Dont bother.

use the SSD's in Raid 0 and the 500gb standalone.

RAID 0 introduces complexity and risk and should not be used unless there is a particular problem that you need to address which can only be fixed with RAID 0. Do not do it.

For almost any real-world application, the screaming sequential transfer rate of SSDs in RAID 0 makes no difference whatsoever. With HDDs, RAID 0 makes it possible for data to be transferred from one drive while the other is seeking, since seek times dominate most real-world read-write patterns. SSDs have negligible seek time, so real-world performance will not be noticeably better for the average user.

===========================

And my personal rant: RAID 0 is not a RAID level. The "R" stands for "Redundant." RAID 0 has no redundancy; if one drive fails, all of the data is lost. RAID 0 is fun to tinker with, but never put data that you need tomorrow, or an OS that you are not ready to rebuild at the drop of a hat, on RAID 0. Unless you do very, very frequent backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS