Cannot Open Document from Website

Hi guys,

I am having problem. When a user tries to open a file from a web site, IE
performs the download to the temporary folder but when the application that
is supposed to handle the file launches, it is unable to open the file with
the following error:

[Program] failed to open [doc]. The file does not exist.

The system is running Windows XP Professional with SP2. I have encountered
this behavior in two machines with the configuration mentioned above.

Steps to reproduce:
- Browse to a website with SSL
- Click on a link pointing to a file
- The Open/Save IE window pops up. Select Open
- The download progress bar window pops up, completes the download and
launches the file handler (e.g. MS WORD) automatically.
- the file handler returns the error mentioned above.

Selecting "Save" instead and saving the file locally works fine. I am able
to open the file afterwards. It looks like either IE deletes the file after
downloaded, or the download chunks are not put together in the end for some
reason. I tried changing the temp folder to see it from scratch, and it did
create the temp files and folders, but the final product (assembled file) is
never created.

File extenstions tested so far: .PDF, .DOC, .PPT
I found an article about a setting in Internet Explorer: "Do not save
encrypted files to disk" but that did not solve the issue.

Any ideas?

Please help!

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:22:43 -0400, Juan Romero wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I am having problem. When a user tries to open a file from a web site, IE
> performs the download to the temporary folder but when the application that
> is supposed to handle the file launches, it is unable to open the file with
> the following error:
>
> [Program] failed to open [doc]. The file does not exist.
>
> The system is running Windows XP Professional with SP2. I have encountered
> this behavior in two machines with the configuration mentioned above.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
> - Browse to a website with SSL
> - Click on a link pointing to a file
> - The Open/Save IE window pops up. Select Open
> - The download progress bar window pops up, completes the download and
> launches the file handler (e.g. MS WORD) automatically.
> - the file handler returns the error mentioned above.
>
> Selecting "Save" instead and saving the file locally works fine. I am able
> to open the file afterwards. It looks like either IE deletes the file after
> downloaded, or the download chunks are not put together in the end for some
> reason. I tried changing the temp folder to see it from scratch, and it did
> create the temp files and folders, but the final product (assembled file) is
> never created.
>
> File extenstions tested so far: .PDF, .DOC, .PPT
> I found an article about a setting in Internet Explorer: "Do not save
> encrypted files to disk" but that did not solve the issue.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Please help!

When editing a document, Word creates a temporary copy of the file in the
same folder as the original file. Word cannot create that copy on the
remote server and the Open fails. Create a local copy of the document file
and Word is happy and everything works as expected.

For more information on this issue or any other problems with Office
programs, visit the Office newsgroups.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User