Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5 3570k OC voltage too high?

Last response: in Overclocking
October 8, 2012 2:30:33 PM

Hey Everyone,

So I've spent two days reading through threads and forums and can't seem to get a straight answer, many different opinions out there (go figure). I'm trying to get the most out of my 3570k and running into some odd performance given the voltage I'm using. Here's my setup:

i5 3570k under an H100 (had to mount fans outside the case to pull air through because of MB clearance issues)
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
G. Skill X Series (16GB @ 1600MHz)
XFX HD7870 Black Edition
XFX Pro Series 850W PSU

I disabled all power saving features including EPU, C-states, etc. that I know about in the bios. I then set a target of around 4.5GHz since that seems to be a decent enough OC from what everyone else is seeing. My base clock is at 100MHz, multiplier at 45, but my voltage has to be at 1.35v to make it hold stable. I've run AIDA64 for an hour at those settings, avg temp for the cores is 65C-66C (one core is sitting at 60C). The temps literally haven't budged... very little variation at all.

I've seen posts about some folks getting 4.7 or 4.8 off of like 1.2-1.3v, so I'm left wondering if I'm doing something wrong? Or my chip just isn't as much of a beast as others? Intel documentation seems to put the max recommended voltage at 1.52v, but several people have said going past 1.4v is suicide. Others say anything past 1.25v is the end of the world.

If I've got the temperature overhead, can I press the voltage more (as long as I don't exceed 90C peaks)? or am I playing with fire? Also, is there any advantage to using lower multiplier and high base clock rather than low base clock and high multiplier? Or is it pretty much the same because the overall end speed is the only thing that matters? I'm sorry if these are total noob questions, this is my first experience OCing and first time messing with Intel. Thanks for any input!

More about : 3570k voltage high

Best solution

a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 8, 2012 2:37:41 PM

I would consider 1.35v kind of high (but not crazy) for for my sandy bridge chip.

I would not recommend going any higher with Ivy. (at least not for a 24/7 overclock)
October 8, 2012 3:41:37 PM

Technician308 said:
Hey Everyone,

So I've spent two days reading through threads and forums and can't seem to get a straight answer, many different opinions out there (go figure). I'm trying to get the most out of my 3570k and running into some odd performance given the voltage I'm using. Here's my setup:

i5 3570k under an H100 (had to mount fans outside the case to pull air through because of MB clearance issues)
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
G. Skill X Series (16GB @ 1600MHz)
XFX HD7870 Black Edition
XFX Pro Series 850W PSU

I disabled all power saving features including EPU, C-states, etc. that I know about in the bios. I then set a target of around 4.5GHz since that seems to be a decent enough OC from what everyone else is seeing. My base clock is at 100MHz, multiplier at 45, but my voltage has to be at 1.35v to make it hold stable. I've run AIDA64 for an hour at those settings, avg temp for the cores is 65C-66C (one core is sitting at 60C). The temps literally haven't budged... very little variation at all.

I've seen posts about some folks getting 4.7 or 4.8 off of like 1.2-1.3v, so I'm left wondering if I'm doing something wrong? Or my chip just isn't as much of a beast as others? Intel documentation seems to put the max recommended voltage at 1.52v, but several people have said going past 1.4v is suicide. Others say anything past 1.25v is the end of the world.

If I've got the temperature overhead, can I press the voltage more (as long as I don't exceed 90C peaks)? or am I playing with fire? Also, is there any advantage to using lower multiplier and high base clock rather than low base clock and high multiplier? Or is it pretty much the same because the overall end speed is the only thing that matters? I'm sorry if these are total noob questions, this is my first experience OCing and first time messing with Intel. Thanks for any input!

Glad you brought this up; I just finished putting together my new build on Saturday night, and other than having 32G of memory and an HFX full tower case (with all optional fans), I have exactlyi the same setup. My CPU temps are running at no higher than 26C, no matter what voltages/multiplier combinations I use. I put my multiplier at 48, voltage at 1.4 and checking stats using ASUS utility see 4.8xxx as my speed with temps still no warmer than 27C. Granted, that was with no stress on it but I would think that it would be MUCH warmer even without a load. That was NOT stable as my computer would reboot after 30, 40 mins of idling but by backing down the multiplier/voltage I was able to reach a stable 4.5ghz or so. I did start with low voltages and incrementally bumped it up until I reached a stable platform. A couple of things I did notice though was that while watching CPU freq with ASUS utility I would see it cycle from 16xx to eventually up to 45xx as it went through the cores. I'm not sure why that is or if that is normal behavior. Another thing is when looking at processor through device mgr it does not reflect the cpeed that ASUS tells me I am getting. I know that on my i920 build that the O/C is reflected in device mgr but for some reason it is not here. Does that seem right? One other note, I've noticed that whenever I click start, then select any application, my mouse courser will freeze every 5 seconds. It does not do that if I just hover over the desktop and make random gestures, just when I am using a program through the OS. Any ideas what that is? I am not done with this tweaking as it appears to me that given my low temps that I should be able to reach a much high O/C. Any thoughts appreciated; will be following this thread closely. thanks!
m
l
Related resources
October 8, 2012 4:24:00 PM

In my extremely limited experience, I haven't seen the OC register anywhere but the bios where its selected and in AIDA64 when I run benchmarks and check OC status.

My gut feeling is the CPU is just too new on the market for anyone to really authoritatively say how it will last under higher voltage conditions. It's a matter of statistics, and the sample size of those that talk about their experiences just seems to be too small (and often full of crap) to take away anything rock solid in terms of longevity. With that being said, 4.5GHz is over 30% boost - which equates to about a 4.8GHz SB from what I read; that result is nothing to sneeze at. From what I'm reading, that's a healthy OC. Sure, some people hit the silicon lottery and got a chip that they could hit 4.8+ on low voltage - but that shouldn't be expected as the norm.

If I were you, I'd leave it at 4.5GHz and incrementally work the voltage down from your bios menu to as low as you can go while still maintaining stability. I would download AIDA64 Extreme Edition trial (it's free) and use that for stress testing. Supposedly it stresses the IB architecture like no other test. Temps under load are what matter - not idle. If you can stay sub 80C avg (Intel docs say 105C max) at full load for at least an hour (a lot more depending on who you talk to) - I'd say you're good to go.

Once you get your stable speed/voltage/temp - I've read its a good idea to go into bios and change manual voltage to offset (like 1.35v would be 1.2V + .15V offset) so you aren't applying the max stable voltage under non-demanding conditions.

**IMPORTANT** Please keep in mind that I'm new at the OC game and I've gotten most of what I've said above by reading forums like crazy. I have no problem admitting that my knowledge is limited - so I would encourage others to chime in and either call me out or confirm what I've said. Either that, or check out other forums yourself and see if you can corroborate what I've said.
m
l
October 8, 2012 4:30:08 PM

that sounds like wise advice to me my friend. I will do exactly as you say once I get home tonight. I'll update the post when I get the stress results. and thanks!
m
l
October 8, 2012 5:06:48 PM

One other quick thought - what about the memory? Does that O/C in tandem with the CPU ? or is that a separate procedure I should worry about? I seem to remember that there was one option that I could select in BIOS that would coordinate CPU/VOLTAGES/MEM speed, all in one. Does the memory speed have to match to certain CPU speed or is that completely independant?
m
l
October 8, 2012 5:23:58 PM

You're referring to XMP mode. It coordinates everything, which can lead to unintentionally OCing your RAM. I left it in XMP and my RAM did just fine. If you want, I've read you can turn it to manual and just do CPU/Volt together - then manually drive RAM with its own voltage. Again - caution flag since I haven't done this myself; just reiterating what I've read.
m
l
October 8, 2012 5:33:32 PM

well, since I don't know what speeds I should shoot for on the RAM it probably does make more sense to put it in XMP mode. Yep, always proceeding carefully here, would hate to ruin my investment with a noob mistake. BTW, that HFX tower is all it is cracked up to be & more; unbelievable how quiet it is, if it weren't for the fan lights I wouldn't know if my PC was on or off.
m
l
October 8, 2012 5:54:40 PM

Best answer selected by Technician308.
m
l
June 9, 2013 12:44:18 PM

I haven't been able to get any good overclocks (3.8Ghz{ on my 3570k) unless I put my vcore up to 1.5 or higher. runs perfect at this voltage and can reach overclock of 4.6ghz with max temp using prime95 of around 50 degrees. but people say such high voltage is bad? if 50 degrees is all temperature im getting, whats the harm ?
m
l
!