$2,200 Gaming Rig need suggestions/comments!

Gaming Rig

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2-3 Weeks

BUDGET RANGE: $2,200 After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming!

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Mouse and OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel CPU/Mobo and AMD Graphics Card

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe in the future

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Yep i know the 5970 is out of stock, ill just buy it when it is in stock. Going to put the 2 HDD's into RAID 0. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks for taking the time to look at my new build! :D
10 answers Last reply
More about gaming suggestions comments
  1. I'd use the Scythe Mugen 2 cooler, not much more expensive, but it is one of the best coolers.

This memory should be a bit better, but you probably won't not the difference between 1066mhz and 1866mhz Muskin Redline Enhanced Cas 6

Otherwise a very nice build!
  2. Changed the CPU heatsink/fan thanks for the suggestion :)
  3. RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Redline 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 6 for the same price Sticks mentioned above or Corsair XMS3 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 for $180. Dominators are a waste of money.

Mobo: Asus P6X58D Premium $310. Pay a little more for the USB 3/SATA III on a hgiher quality board.

PSU: SeaSonic 850W $110. Higher quality, more efficient.

Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 $30. Better and cheaper.

You don't need an anti static wristband.

That should be about the same price, but better performance

General comments:

For gaming, the i5-750 is just as good, and a build would be $280 cheaper, enough that you could get a SSD as a boot/app drive. What I would change (besides the above) for an i5 build:

CPU: i5-750 $200
    Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E Pro $190
    RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $110
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $90 (assuming you wanted to do RAID 0 with the 2x 500 GB for booting)
    SSD: $300

Same price as above.
  4. Thanks for the suggestion on the RAM im however going to stick with the i7. I do have one question i forgot to put in main post. If i use a SATA DVD Writer my friend says that it will slow the SATA controller down so whenever im accessing a cd/dvd it will slow down my system... is that true?

EDIT: Was looking at PSU and Mobo i took your advice on both of them. thanks XD!!
  5. I don't believe that's right. If SATA was the problem, the HDDs would cause the same effect, which they don't. However, burning a DVD will slow everything down, but that's because everything is being used to do that.
  6. Ok thanks I need to tell my friend that :P Other than that keep the suggestions coming!

Will my GPU and Heatsink/fan fit into my case? I really like that case but if they wont fit i will get a different one in which the will fit.
  7. The HAF is huge. You really don't need to worry about space.
  8. Ok i think im going to go with the HAF 932 instead of the HAF 922 because it looks more ventilated and also because it just looks cool
  9. Either one. The 922 is just a slightly smaller version of the 932, just like many other series of cases. I'm going to have to disagree with it looking cool though. The HAF is a great functional case for a great price, but good looking it is not.
  10. I guess it is a matter of opinion :D
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems Product