Sign in with
Your question

Gaming TFT Low Response Time and Low Lag

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 25, 2010 11:49:53 PM

I am looking for a gaming lcd monitor 16:9 at around 22'' or 24''. I want mostly low response time and also low lag.

Lag is not usually discussed, but it consists of a delay between the signal reaching the monitor and being displayed on the screen caused mainly by internal processing to try and improve the picture quality. This delay can be perceived as difference in image and sound and is specially important in online games, where that 1/10 of a second can make a difference.

I currently have a 19'' CRT and will only switch if i can get an LCD that is the same or better.

I have an eye on LG W2363-WF, since if is advertised as having a gaming mode, where the advanced processing is disabled to reduce lag to a minimum. However I haven´t been able to find independent reviews.

The price(189£) is a bit more them i was planning to spend, but if it is worthit...

What do you guys think? Any alternatives?

Tks
January 26, 2010 12:09:35 AM

5ms is the response time.(time it takes for pixels to change color)

lag is another thing. it´s the delay between the signal reaching the monitor and being displayed on the screen. it can be 10 times as much as the response time, but since it doesn´t show as blur in the image it´s not so easily noticed. however it´s a big disadvantage in online gaming, since the opponent can see you 1st...
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
January 26, 2010 3:08:30 AM

MagicPants said:
Asus seems like they usually have low lag. Dell and Samsung are usually the worst offenders. the VW246H looks good though I personally don't like glossy panels.

Actually it has a matte finish. I have the Asus VK246H connected to my HTPC to monitor some processes from time to time. It is the same as the VW246H, but with a built-in webcam. I wanted something cheap and it was on sale when I bought it back in Dec 2008. The Asus VK / VW 246H actually turns out to be a very good gaming monitor because of very low average input lag (<2ms based on Prad.de tests).

Below is my review of the VK246H which can also be applied to the VW246H. The last post has a link to the Prad.de review:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/54250-3-asus-vk246h-r...

The Asus VW246H is being sold for £206.45 in the UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-VW246H-Monitor-HDMI-20000/...

!