ASROCK M3A790GXH/128M Boot up issue?

JoeySoap

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Hi all, I have an ASROCK M3A790GXH/128M based Phenom II 720BE system that has performed really well since I built it about 2 months ago. Over the weekend, I had a series of involuntary PC restarts of the PC for no apparent reason that I could see at the time. The power supply is a brand new Corsair 650 watt unit and the graphics card is a brand new ATI Direct X 11 PCIe card. The machine has 2x Maxtor disks and 4Gb DDR3 RAM.

Anyhow, the machine then failed to start at all, just churning the hard disks and no sign of a BIOS post screen or anything. The screen would power up from standby but nothing was displayed. Eventually, I managed to start the machine using a floppy boot disk and then running CHKDSK.

It now starts up just fine BUT.... there is no BIOS post screen. The machine goes quickly straight from a blank screen directly to the Windows splash screen. In fact, it boots quicker now than it ever has before, but I cannot access the BIOS by pressing F2, it simply doesn't work.

It's really bizarre. By the way, the OS is 32 bit Win XP SP3. Note- ASROCK "Quickboot" is not installed. Windows power settings are set to "always on". Any ideas what has happened and how I can access the BIOS screen again? Thanks, sorry for the long post.