GFX Card troubleshooting help!

fanwashere

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
A while ago, I burned out (or so I think) not one but two Graphic Cards D:. They are EVGA GeForce 7600GT, the other was a Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro. Now I'm looking for home remedies that might be able to fix them.

When Modern Warfare 2 came out, I got it and rushed to finish it. Don't know if it matters for troubleshooting, but just before the end when they fell off the waterfall, the game crashes everytime I get there. A DirectX error comes up.

Now I think it was MW2 that caused some overheating and damage to the GFX Cards. They were both on stock cooling.

I'm not exactly sure it really died because after, I could somewhat see the desktop after starting up, but after less than a minute, it faded to black (the 7600GT). After another couple of boots, it wouldn't show even show BIOs, and the startup beep doesn't even happen.

After I plugged in my 9800 Pro, ran the game a couple of times, then it died. Boot buy no display at all.

I know my AGP 8X slot is fine, as I plugged in a really cheap AGP GFX Card in and it displays. My monitors are also fine.

If its any relevance, my system specs are:
-Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.0Ghz
-1.5GB DDR 400 RAM
-ASRock 775VM800 Motherboard.
-2x 80GB SATA HDDs
One of the two HDDs installed at the time was later discovered to be burnt.

Any way to save them?

r_manic

Administrator
Does MW2 run on your cheap GFX card? I'm thinking that you may have an underpowered CPU, and it's not providing enough power to your cards causing them to fail. You're using the PSU that came with your case or something?