Sign in with
Your question

PCI slot burned out?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 26, 2010 2:06:46 AM

Need some help.

Built a PC using a Gigbyte G-MAX motherboard, does not have built in VGA. Added a EVGA 512 (GeForce 8600 GTS) video card. The system has worked for almost 2 years.

The screen went dead in the middle of use. The monitor no longer gets a signal. Tested the monitor with my laptop and it works fine. We replaced the video card with Dell ATI Radeon 7500 32MB AGP VGA S Video Graphics Card.

Still no signal to the monitor.

Any ideas.

Thanks

More about : pci slot burned

a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 2:57:32 AM

Might be an issue with the motherboard? Try resetting it. Also, you might want to check if your power supply is still ok.
m
l
February 9, 2010 9:49:11 PM

The power supply looks good. Also swapped it with a different one with the same results. How do you reset a montherboard? I have pulled the CMOS battery to clear that.
m
l
Related resources
February 9, 2010 11:33:02 PM

Does your motherboard have both an AGP and a PCI-E slot? The two cards you described use different standards for connecting to the motherboard.

I would be cautious in saying it was only a PCI-E slot that went bad if you installed an AGP card in an entirely different slot and it didn't work.
m
l
February 23, 2010 7:49:30 PM

Both of the cards fit into the same slot. I received some tips from Gigabyte about the powersupply so I am re-testing with a third powersupply.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 8, 2010 7:58:46 AM

Try it without your graphic card
m
l
!