Watercooled 5970?

way2game89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Okay lets say I bought this card. I know the price is ridiculous but that's not the point. If I bought it what would I need to do to install it? Is it just preloaded with the liquid and I don't do anything? Or do I need to have a reservoir of some sort? Is it just open it up, slide it into the pci slot and turn it on or what? Google really isn't helping me find what I need. Thanks!

Solution
First of all it depends on which version you buy.
There is one version that has a water block on it already:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131335&cm_re=5970-_-14-131-335-_-Product .

But as you can see, you will have to have the rest of the water cooled system ready to install this model.

All the other models found on newegg have a regular air cooled cooler.
That means that all you have to do is uninstall your previous drivers, do a driver cleaner in safe mode, shut down the computer. Then install the new video card and then power on the computer and install the new drivers from the ATi site.

soundefx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
First of all it depends on which version you buy.
There is one version that has a water block on it already:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131335&cm_re=5970-_-14-131-335-_-Product .

But as you can see, you will have to have the rest of the water cooled system ready to install this model.

All the other models found on newegg have a regular air cooled cooler.
That means that all you have to do is uninstall your previous drivers, do a driver cleaner in safe mode, shut down the computer. Then install the new video card and then power on the computer and install the new drivers from the ATi site.

Solution
If you arent sure how the water cooling block works then you need an air cooled on. A good water cooling system will cost you around $300 and will require regular maintenance. A water cooling system generally has a resevoir, pump, radiator, and CPU cooling block, you would then add the water cooled GPU into that loop but if you dont have the rest of the components already it would be a very expensive upgrade and is only really useful if you intend to try to heavily OC the card.