Sign in with
Your question

System Build for March 2010

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
February 1, 2010 9:20:01 PM

So I landed a new job, and with a new job comes new toys, right? So I want to build either a decent crossfireX or SLI machine for gaming. At the moment I have a pretty nice rig. It's a i5 750 with a GA-P55A-UD3 coupled with 4x1 GB 1333 Patriot DDR3. It's running at the moment a Diamond HD 4890 and 2 nice WD hard drives (each 1 TB, one black caviar and one green caviar. The black is the primary while the green is just archives.) And Windows Vista SP2. Also it has an Antec TruPower NEW 550W semi-modular psu. It is housed in a coolermaster 922 case which I plan to re-use. I also plan to re-use my Corsair H50 water cooler.

Now I am a bit let down by my current motherboard. Running crossfire is simply not worth it. I attempted to do so with a pair of 4770's I have and I was getting jittery frame rate and overall I wasn't happy.

So, I will use the "How to Ask for New Build Advice" format to ask for help.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: March 2010

BUDGET RANGE: $1000-$1200

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Video Encoding, Web Surfing, Word.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Case, Aftermarket Cooler, Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor, Speakers, Hard Drives.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Microcenter, Frys.com, Tigerdirect.com (I don't like newegg because I will get hit with tax and shipping)

PARTS PREFERENCES: EVGA, XFX, Gigabyte, Patriot Memory, Intel (Was contemplating going the i7 920 route with a X58 EVGA mobo.)

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI/Crossfire: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080P

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Not looking to run any of the 5XXX series ATi's until they get the gray screen issue sorted out. Leaning towards SLi'ing a couple of 285's or just get one 295. I doubt I'll be able to afford the GTX 300 series of cards coming out around that time. Also looking for advice on good LED 120MM fans that have good airflow and LOW sound.
February 2, 2010 1:19:20 AM

you already have a superior system why not get a more powerful psu, and a better mobo that supports crossfire then buy another 4890 and crossfire or if u want buy another 4890 and trifire and have crazy *** system.

edit: also i see you have vista get win 7 it ll b worth it, also the i7's aren't much more powerful than your current i5
Anonymous
February 2, 2010 1:41:49 AM

I was actually thinking that after I had posted to just get a GA-P55A-UD4P and upgrade the ram to 6 GB (2x1, 2x2) and get beef up the PSU and get a second 4890. I want to wait for Win 7 SP1 to hit before I upgrade, but I hear it's coming around summer or spring time, so I will tough it out till them. I attempted to run an Antec Quatro 1000W PSU but it was DOA and after doing some research it seems that's a PSU worth avoiding all together (Strange for an Antec, but every company has at least one fluke every now and again) so I think I'll go Corsair 750TX (I think its the TX line up I want... semi-modular, SLI/CFX certified). Anyhow, I think I MAY go this route. If I can't find a suitable 4890 to run in CFX (I specifically want the Diamond HD 4890 NON OC'd model) I'll just get a second GTS 250 and run like that for the time being. Or throw in my twin 4770's and call it a day (and save a few pennies!)
February 2, 2010 1:52:21 AM

I would just keep what you have but upgrade the video card to a GTX 295 or switch the MoBo to one that allows SLI for 2x GTX 285's since you do not want anything ATI. The I5 and I7 cpu's are very similar in performance for gaming purposes. Upgrading your video card will increase your gaming performance in the future far more than switching from an I5 750 to an I7 920.
!