Opinions on BFG GeForce 8800 GT OverClocked Video Card - 512MB for FSX

dakmlb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Hi all:

I'm looking at new system but am curious to know if the BFG GeForce 8800 GT OverClocked Video Card - 512MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready is still a pretty good card for the money. Currently, I can pick it up for $99.00 after a $50 instant discount.

I realize there certainly may be better, but for about that price, is this a good card or does anyone have another recommendation?

It will be paired with an i3 530 and ASUS P7H55-M Pro Motherboard if that helps.

Thanks....David Kuzava

dakmlb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010

You didn't say it. Hunter315 made a reference to a Radeon 4850 being better. I was replying to his comment.

"Better" is a very subjective word. nVdia may be better for someone looking for physX, But ATi maybe better for someones else who is looking for a DX11 card.
So what I'm saying is its a matter of personal opinion.

Its naive to say that one company is better than another without justifying why.

dakmlb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
I would say "Better" is a predominantly subjective term. Just read reviews about any particular product. One person says it's great, another says it's junk. But in the case, "Better" wasn't meant in the general sense or as in a "better" company as whole. It was directed toward FSX specifically. I have read numerous forum posts that suggests FSX simply likes nVidia cards over all others.

If the 8800GT is overpriced, does anyone have an alternative for around that $100USD price point?

Sorry mate, early morning fuzzy head when I posted.

dakmlb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
I've gone ahead an ordered the GTS 250 along with an i3 530 so we'll see how well it works. If anyone is interested, I'll be posting my complete specs in new forum. I'll likely dub something like my i3 530 review or experience. I will post results in a thread I started under FSX Propsed System. Thanks for all your input.

I am interested, make sure you open up a thread and post some pics [:jaydeejohn:5]

dakmlb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010

I have put the system together. I initially had XP installed but upgraded to Windows 7. In a nutshell, I couldn't be more pleased with the results. I haven't overclocked yet but the stock speed has produced some great performance and frame rates, with settings maxed (except auto-gen, which I set as normal and traffic which is set to around 80%. I do this as it makes it more realistic. Performance is really unaffected at max.

I am still getting things set up and when I do I will put togther my review and will post some pics and hopefully vid as well.

From what I have experienced though, the graphics are outstanding and the addons have become even more realistic. I am using FEX, REX, GEX and Traffic X.

More to come....

magneezo

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2005
I just replaced my 8800GT XLR8 with a BFG GTS 250 OC.
It may be a leftover GTX stock like they say, and may only pump out 1000 more points on 3DMark 06...
but when my resources in GTA 4 jumped from 496 to 1000 my jaw dropped.
In game performance is what matters most to me, so in this case when I walked into Best Buy yesterday and they had the GTS 250 OC on sale for $115 I couldn't resist.
I'm glad I got the new card. It really is an improvement over the ol PNY 8800GT

I have one myself in my backup rig ;)

Picture003.jpg

I paid 175.00$ when it came out :(

magneezo

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2005
I had to do a little adjusting. The SATA cables are directly underneath the card.
Lucky for me the unit shipped with some angled cords so it was just a switch from A to B and it was just fine.
PC002.jpg

PC006.jpg

I may get flack here about the nest, but honestly those Tt cables are thick as pipes and VERY strong.
Here's the tiny nest the ET has but small as it may be you can cram a good bit in there.
PC004.jpg

There is room for a longer card...but can the Tt 550 with a combined 12v rating of 35 be able to cut it?
Probably not.