Are MS Office 97 and Windows XP compatible ??

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
August 7, 2004 1:35:28 PM

Hello,

I just purchased a Winbook M laptop with the XP operating system. The
machine runs great and the price was in my budget. I have absolutely no
problems with it but one and that is the Microsoft Office Suite 97 which I
installed after purchase of the laptop. My problem is when I try to open
Word or Excel files, they won't open...it says they are not in the system.
But, if I turn off the machine and reboot and double click the exact same
file it opens just fine. In fact all of these files will open perfectly that
day afterward. But, if I try the next day, I am having exactly same problem
again until I reboot the machine.

The old laptop with Windows 98 opened these files with absolutely no
problems, but this XP system has this problem.

Is this a known bug with XP / Office 97? Maybe Microsoft makes one upgrade
to the newest Office suite for it to work with XP??? I would hate to buy a
new Office Suite when 97 does all I need it to do.

Thanks,
Roy
August 7, 2004 1:40:47 PM

"Roy" <tracky@erols.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I just purchased a Winbook M laptop with the XP operating system. The
> machine runs great and the price was in my budget. I have absolutely no
> problems with it but one and that is the Microsoft Office Suite 97 which I
> installed after purchase of the laptop. My problem is when I try to open
> Word or Excel files, they won't open...it says they are not in the system.
> But, if I turn off the machine and reboot and double click the exact same
> file it opens just fine. In fact all of these files will open perfectly
that
> day afterward. But, if I try the next day, I am having exactly same
problem
> again until I reboot the machine.
>
> The old laptop with Windows 98 opened these files with absolutely no
> problems, but this XP system has this problem.
>
> Is this a known bug with XP / Office 97? Maybe Microsoft makes one upgrade
> to the newest Office suite for it to work with XP??? I would hate to buy
> new Office Suite when 97 does all I need it to do.

It may be 97. You can look on ebay for a 2000 upgrade version and come away
without spending too much money. I used 2000 after 97 and loved it. I
upgraded to 2003 and don't like it. The programs still do the same things
but there's sooooo much extra junk that I'm not a huge fan of (particularly
in Outlook). Anyway, you may want to consider upping to 2000 as it works
perfectly on XP. I only upgraded because I wore out one of my 2000 cds due
to too many installs over the years.

--
Tara
Anonymous

"Roy" <tracky@erols.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I just purchased a Winbook M laptop with the XP operating system. The
> machine runs great and the price was in my budget. I have absolutely no
> problems with it but one and that is the Microsoft Office Suite 97 which I
> installed after purchase of the laptop. My problem is when I try to open
> Word or Excel files, they won't open...it says they are not in the system.
> But, if I turn off the machine and reboot and double click the exact same
> file it opens just fine. In fact all of these files will open perfectly
that
> day afterward. But, if I try the next day, I am having exactly same
problem
> again until I reboot the machine.
>
> The old laptop with Windows 98 opened these files with absolutely no
> problems, but this XP system has this problem.
>
> Is this a known bug with XP / Office 97? Maybe Microsoft makes one upgrade
> to the newest Office suite for it to work with XP??? I would hate to buy
> new Office Suite when 97 does all I need it to do.
>
> Thanks,
> Roy

Try reregistering Word and Excel, ie Start | Run and in the box, type

winword /r
excel /regserver

HTH

Nelson
a b D Laptop
August 8, 2004 11:13:50 AM

> I just purchased a Winbook M laptop with the XP operating system. The
> machine runs great and the price was in my budget. I have absolutely no
> problems with it but one and that is the Microsoft Office Suite 97 which I
> installed after purchase of the laptop. My problem is when I try to open
> Word or Excel files, they won't open...it says they are not in the system.
> But, if I turn off the machine and reboot and double click the exact same
> file it opens just fine. In fact all of these files will open perfectly
that
> day afterward. But, if I try the next day, I am having exactly same
problem
> again until I reboot the machine.
>
> The old laptop with Windows 98 opened these files with absolutely no
> problems, but this XP system has this problem.
>
> Is this a known bug with XP / Office 97? Maybe Microsoft makes one upgrade
> to the newest Office suite for it to work with XP??? I would hate to buy
> new Office Suite when 97 does all I need it to do.

For what ?!?

Download http://www.openoffice.org V1.12

--
Roland Mösl
http://www.pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization

> It may be 97. You can look on ebay for a 2000 upgrade version and come
away
> without spending too much money.

Why spent money for bad software

http://www.openoffice.org is better and free

--
Roland Mösl
http://www.pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization
http://web-design-suite.com Web Design starts at the search engine
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 8, 2004 6:34:05 PM

There should be no problem using Office 97 with Windows XP. But my
suggestion would be to buy a copy of Office 2003 "Students & Teachers
Edition". You can get this for $100 on sale, and it legally allows
installation on 3 separate computers (in the same household, for
household non-commercial use). That's about $35 per install, and it's a
far better "Office" than 97. Microsoft has all but said that they don't
care about the "Students and Teachers" part (which is not enforced in
any way), as long as this version is for private household use (e.g. not
business use). Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook. If you need Access,
you will need the "Pro" version, which is a LOT more expensive.

Roy wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just purchased a Winbook M laptop with the XP operating system. The
> machine runs great and the price was in my budget. I have absolutely no
> problems with it but one and that is the Microsoft Office Suite 97 which I
> installed after purchase of the laptop. My problem is when I try to open
> Word or Excel files, they won't open...it says they are not in the system.
> But, if I turn off the machine and reboot and double click the exact same
> file it opens just fine. In fact all of these files will open perfectly that
> day afterward. But, if I try the next day, I am having exactly same problem
> again until I reboot the machine.
>
> The old laptop with Windows 98 opened these files with absolutely no
> problems, but this XP system has this problem.
>
> Is this a known bug with XP / Office 97? Maybe Microsoft makes one upgrade
> to the newest Office suite for it to work with XP??? I would hate to buy a
> new Office Suite when 97 does all I need it to do.
>
> Thanks,
> Roy

August 9, 2004 4:11:21 AM

Roy <tracky@erols.com> wrote:
[...]

I use Office 97 with my XP laptop. I had a problem more minor than
yours, which is that whenever I would open a file, Word (or Excel)
would ask me various false questions like, "This file is already open,
do you want to save a copy?" or "Someone else is using this file."
Someone else suggested re-registering the Office components, and
that's what I did.

If that's not clear, try this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;200915

The solution I used from this article was to execute this line:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Winword.exe" /regserver

(and the same for Excel)

Fixed my problem, may fix yours.

Andrew
--