Phenom II 965 keeps crashing?

jyparkcan

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I've been wondering why my voltages and temperatures of CPU were so high, and found out that my motherboard automatically ups the volts by itself.
So I set the Cool n Quiet to auto and all voltage values to manual/default, but then the computer would crash often.
Also I ran the Prime95 stress test, and the small FFTs test I could run fine for hours, but for some reason blend test and large FFTs fail within 10 seconds,
and not just 1 core, all of the cores fail 1 by 1.
Since small FFTs don't use RAM much and others do, is it something related to RAM? I do not have RAM options in the BIOS by the way...
It's pretty much the same whether I use 3.4, 3.6, or 3.8GHz OC.
I refused to leave the voltages on auto, because I've read that if you do, the motherboard will apply unnecessary voltages to the CPU.
So I just set the overall volts settings on manual and left everything else on default.
Everything is on factory default except for: Cool n Quiet is auto, volts control manual but everything default, HT speed 2.0GHz.
What should I do?
I've tried not using Cool n Quiet and leaving clock at 3.4GHz and setting volts on auto, but Prime95 tests except for small FFTs will fail eventually.
I have decent cooling, I have Cooler Master Hyper 212 and with Prime95 it doesn't go over 55 degrees, usually stays around 53.
The main reason I want to keep the volts on manual is that when it's set on auto the load temps jump to about 61 degrees.
I think I have a faulty CPU because everyone gets better temperatures with the same HSF. Had problems with stock heatsink as well.
Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
Until a fix is found I will have to run on everything on factory default which seems the most stable out of all the settings I've tried.
Again, HELP IS NEEDED AND APPRECIATED!
Thanks!

Specs:
Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H Rev 1.0 BIOS ver.F8
AMD Phenom II x4 965 125W C2
OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 2X2GB 5-5-5-18
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

jyparkcan

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Ok here's some update:
I found out that by leaving EVERYTHING on FACTORY DEFAULTS, the system was very stable.
Even ran blend test on Prime95 no probs for 20 mins, gonna do more testing for about 5+ hours later.
Looking from the system monitors, it seems that by setting volts to auto it actually ups the DRAM voltage to about 1.95V from 1.8V which is the default.
I'm highly convinced that this is the main issue here, the RAM needing more volts.
However going to OCZ's website it says 1.8V is the safe voltage for this module, however on NCIX and other ppl say it's safe to raise it up to 2.0V.
Will I be safe off using 2.0V? Because I don't get an option to set it at 1.95V.
Also, will I have to adjust any of the NorthBridge/SouthBridge/CPU VID volts? I'm not sure about these because I don't have a tool that measures these values
and don't even know the default values for them.
Advice needed~
Thanks in advance

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Just leave your volts alone. You undervolted the cpu and it is not stable.

Leave the cpu and all the other voltage alone. Set your ram by the OEM's specs.

System should be 100 percent stable. THEN you can start to lower the volts on the cpu a notch and time and test for stability. And repeat over and over until it is unstable. Go back to last stable voltage and that is as low as you can go.