Sign in with
Your question

RAM frequency problems/ OC issues

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 9, 2010 2:46:56 AM

Hey guys, hope i can get some advice here. Im running an ASUS M4A78L-M mobo, with a Athlon II 620 Quadcore CPU, clocked at 2.6ghz. My RAM is Crucial 2gb DDR2 800 PC2 6400.

Problem: in AMD overdrive, my ram frequency is only showing up at 400mhz. Its supposed to be running at 800. In my bios the fastest i can get it to run at is 533. Now there are lots of options for me to OC my cpu/ram, but my experience in setting voltages and multipliers and whatnot is limited, so i dont wanna fry anything. Any help in OC`ing my CPU, and getting my RAM issue would be much appreciated. So if anyone knows how i can fix this via AMD overdrive, or in my bios, that would rock.

Thanks.
a c 172 à CPUs
April 9, 2010 2:56:07 AM

I don't know much about AMD CPU's and motherboards, but here is what I think is happening:

Overdrive is reporting correctly. It's doing the same thing CPUZ does. It is reporting a RAM frequency of 400 Mhz instead of a RAM clock of 800 Mhz.

Remember, DDR2 RAM transfers 2 chunks of data for each bus cycle (even if AMD technically doesn't use an FSB).

If you want to overclock, learn to use the BIOS.
Overclocking Athlons
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-overclock-at...
m
l
April 9, 2010 2:57:12 AM

That makes sense. Thanks for the info. Will also check that link out. Much appreciated.
m
l
!