Is it normal to have temps below 20 celcius?

GeneralJim25

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
alright, im using an H80 water cooler, which i bought a weeks or so back. its in a AZZA Hurrican 2000 case (with alot of fans in it, look it up lol) on an FX 8120 processor. i plan on overclocking it, switched from air cooling to liquid cooling and i dont plan on switching back. i live in a relatively hot part of the US. i havent OC it yet, but i was wondering if it is a normal occurrence to hit temps of 20 degrees celcius, or lower? im using both Core Temp and the CPUID HWMonitor. both give pretty much the exact same readings. the lowest my cpu has gone when im only surfing the web is at like 8 degrees celcius. playing battlefield 3 cranks it up to about 27-30, never any higher. i heard the H80 was good, but thiese results far beat the results i got from my h60 (it died, and i bought this to replace it). any insight would be good. also i feel i should mention the plastic that covered the factory thermal paste came off and it smeared on my table >.< so i replaced it after wiping off the remains with rubbing alcohol. the current stuff is some artic silver 5.

Solution
Found this
He says Core Temp and HWMonitor got some issues with Bulldozers and are 10-15°C offset. With your ambient 18° and your idle Temp 8+10-15 you're around 18-23° idle temp which still sounds very good (and reasonable since it's above ambient).

DeTeWe

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
I'm no expert, but I can tell you below ambient temperatures aren't possible with a liquid cooling alone. Unless you're living in an ice-cave, temperatures of 8° celsius aren't possible with a H80 (and as far as I have read, you shouldnt consider a H80 a water cooler here ;) ). Sounds like your temp sensor is broken or the programs cant read it properly, maybe google knows more. Whats the max/min temperature of the MoBo sensors? (VCore, Ram etc..).

GeneralJim25

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

lol it cools with liquid, so thats all i need to call it a water cooler. all those purists that say otherwise can blow it out their asses. it doesnt stay at 8 degrees all that often, maybe once in a blue moon (when im doin absolutely nothing) lol usually in the area of 17 degrees celcius. with my h60 i would hit about 25 regularly, and i heard the h80 is supposed to be better. my mobo is an MSI 970A G46. its too early in the morning for me to figure out the technical crap XD

DeTeWe

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
But still, below ambient is not possible. Even a H8'000 couldn't go below subambient. Not after idleing, not after a day, not when no load is on it. Never. Ever. And if you cool it manually (in the freezer or something, wouldn't do that as it would probably freeze the loop) to below ambient the radiator would help HEATING the system up to ambient temperature.
The H80 can dissipate more heat than a H60 resulting in a lower difference between ambient and CPU temp even under load, but subambient isn't possible (unless you got a H100 and lots of fans).

What's your ambient temperature?

The H100 thing is fake.

GeneralJim25

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

its about 65 degrees F here right now i think

DeTeWe

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Found this
He says Core Temp and HWMonitor got some issues with Bulldozers and are 10-15°C offset. With your ambient 18° and your idle Temp 8+10-15 you're around 18-23° idle temp which still sounds very good (and reasonable since it's above ambient).

Solution
65 F = 18C. Your lowest temp at idle should be about 4C higher or around 22C for individual cores. Good air HSFs are about 9 C higher at ambient and around 15->19 C above ambient under heavy load (at least for Intel CPUs).

Unless your h20 is BELOW ambient, ie additional cooling of the H20, physics still applies. H2O coolers are Not much better at idle than top air HSFs where they shine is under load. Reason is that as temperature differencial increases, cooling ability increase - up to a point. At Ambient less temperature differencial.

SO 8 C for core temps are BS with room temp of 18C. 8C equates to a room temp of 42->44 F.

If in a Hot climite, and room is 65 C, hate to pay A/C bill. During the summar My room temp runs around 75F and in mid winter it does drop to 65->67 F.

Bottom Line, concur with DeTeWe

GeneralJim25

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

i thought there was something fishy about those temps lol thanks guys. ill choose a best answer in a sec lol

GeneralJim25

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
chose a top answer, and set my core temps offset to 15. now the temps im seeing seem much more realistic XD again, thank you so much. now it reads with the lowest temp being about 27 degrees celcius. and i took a guess on it being around 65 degrees in my area at the moment, and it turns out i was correct on that :p i should be a weather man XD