Copying Windows 7 installation to a new SATA drive

mjmulenga3

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Hello,
I have an old Lenovo ThinkCentre PC with a 2.8 Ghz Pentium D and 2 GB of RAM, running Win 7. I want to copy the existing installation from the current 160 GB Seagate Barracuda ST31608 to a 320 GB Samsung HD332JG that I just bought. What do I need to do?

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

i don't think that you can only copy an HD to another, you will need to format your Samsung hd with a new windows and than start copying the files from the Seagate HD most of the installed itens may need to be reinstalled because they add some dll's/registry changes to the system.

bucknutty

Distinguished
you can try a program like clonezilla or truimage. Problem is you need to have both hds plugged into the sata at the same time. Easy with a desktop but pretty hard with a laptop.

You might be able to use the windows 7 back up recover. Windows 7 can make a complete recovery set of discs that can be used when a HD fails and needs to be replaced.

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
It'll be easiest if you have a desktop PC that you can use(friend's or family's). Connect both drives up to it, then you can easily clone the old to the other. If you can't connect both up, you can clone the original and save it on the host PC if there's enough room, then connect the new one and clone it.
Might be worth getting something like this, then you don't have to mess with cracking open the PC or messing with jumpers.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

Good luck!