Sign in with
Your question

Vpu recover/ ati drivers/ artifacts

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 26, 2010 4:55:29 AM

Hey all this is my first post here.

I have quite a very troublesome issue with my graphic card. Since a few days, my ati HD4850 started to fail and the ATI VPU recover always kicks in. I already had this kind of problem with this card but it was in vista and it was the famous "your display drivers stopped responding and has recovered"; The solution for me was to use only one stick of RAM. So I was clean of this error for a few months and I also swapped to XP afterwards. Now it started while playing a game, just once in a while and the VPU recover always restored the game to a playable state. However since this morning it is happening as soon as I launch the game and my PC completely crashes. I also see a lot of artifacts on the screen when it is happening; sometimes even on the desktop the artifacts appear.

I tried everything here:
- clean my drivers with DCpro and install a fresh copy of a more recent one.
- improve the air flow in my comp to lower the temps
- increase my fan speed to 100%
- decrease the GPU clock and memory with catalyst
- take out the graphic card and re slotted it again
- clean all the dust from the pc
- re slotted the ram stick
- disable vpu recover
- started to pray for a miracle

So what do you think? graphic card is fried? Cause sometimes the temp increases to like a 100 degrees but it was like that since I bought it in 2008...
Iam ready to get a new card but I dont want to plug it and see that happening again.

Thanks a lot for your help
regard
a c 189 U Graphics card
January 26, 2010 10:31:10 AM

that card running at 100'C until now since 2008??
If yes, then probably u already frying the card itself.
What about your PSU? brand? model?
U can try your card on another computer which has a good PSU on it...
m
l
January 26, 2010 12:34:16 PM

PSU a 500w Corsair... i should in fact try it on another computer...
In any case i am quite sure that the card is fried.
Going to get a new one, what do you guys think between those two choices?
Gigabyte HD 4850 OC 1gb or
Gigabyte geforce 9800 GT
m
l
Related resources
a c 189 U Graphics card
January 26, 2010 12:38:34 PM

Nope, just get HD 5770, don't go for old tech, the newer 5xxx series are better... :) 
CPU? RAM?
m
l
January 26, 2010 2:03:59 PM

got an old cpu e6600. and 2 gig of ram
The prob here is that iam very short on cash so the only options for me are the cards above. On top of that I live in mauritius and they dont have all the cards here. The only solution for me is to get one from the net but it would be to expensive (shipping)
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
January 26, 2010 2:09:04 PM

okay, from your 2 options above then take 4850, that's better than 9800GT... :) 
Also u might want to add another 2gb of ram then your rig will be faster than before.
m
l
January 26, 2010 2:54:58 PM

I had the same issue with my Sapphire 4850. I was hitting 100c and it would overheat resulting in system crashes etc. The stock heatsink is terrible. I swapped it out for a Zalman VF1000 aftermarket heatsink and my temps dropped to 45c under load. Huge difference. I was even able to OC the card. As a matter of fact, I still have the card tucked away in a anti-static bag in the top of my closet, haha.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

^ It is still listed on Newegg for $52.00 and free shipping. Just another option to consider. Good luck.
m
l
January 27, 2010 2:27:18 AM

thx a lot for your help guys it really helped me out. I think i will also go for another 2 gb or ram, im sure it will help a lot in my case!
m
l
!