Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Super High Temperatures - High Res Pictures Inside

Last response: in Systems
February 1, 2010 10:24:45 PM

My CPU idles at 50C on two cores, and 46C on the last two cores.. My GPU idles at 66 degrees Celsius. Room temperature is 75 degrees Fahrenheit.

All games work perfect at max resolution, but hit high temperatures such as Dragon Age Origins, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, and WoW all at 1920*1080p resolution max detail. I hit super high temperatures in any game though. In World of Warcraft, as we all know it uses DX9 so its not very hardware intensive, my GPU hits 80 degrees Celsius. I'm all out of ideas. I do believe my custom PC has adequate cooling. It was built November 2009.

I have personally come down to the idea that the card itself is faulty. I have read on many forums though that this card idles at and hits the temperatures that I am achieving. I have also read that people with the same card as me idle with their GPU fan set to 40% at 40 degrees Celsius. It is unacceptable though.

Down below are my system specifications and high-resolution pictures. Please help me.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
AZZA full tower case 24x22x9 in.
ASRock X58 Extreme Motherboard - Socket 1366, 3 RAM slots supporting up to 2000mhz a piece, 3 PCIe x16 slots, each double spaced (two true x16 speed [blue], one half speed [orange])
Intel Core i7 2.67 ghz - stock speed, retail fan
Radeon HD 4870 XFX 1GB GDDR5 - stock speed, fan at 100%
6GB 1866 mhz RAM - stock speed
500GB 7200RPM Spinpoint HDD - SATA
2x CD/DL DVD superdrives with Lightscribe - SATA
750W Monster PSU - Fully modular and wrapped cables
8 fans total - Five on case, one on GPU, one on PSU, one on CPU
Built November 2009

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 2, 2010 1:48:21 AM

I think I would try running it outside the cabinet to see what the temps are; the last pic looks like it's starving for air supply. Also, you're using the stock CPU HSF with a big side intake(?) fan, and it looked like a fan exhausting on top rear. You may also wish to change your fans config to achieve a front to back air-flow. You want intake cool outside air, let it pass over the stuff, and exhaust at top rear.
February 2, 2010 3:30:50 AM

The stock CPU fan is directly above the side intake fan, they are not fighting each other.

One side intake, two front intakes, one top exhaust, one rear exhaust. Side intake is blowing directly on the GFX card, GFX card is blowing down and the two front intakes push the GFX card fan air out the back.

When I purhcased the parts to build this, I also ordered a Zalman VGA cooler for my card. I put it on when I received all parts and turned on the computer with that on, I didn't even try the stock cooler at first. It gave the same results on max fan power. I took the Zalman back off because it took me and my brother to bend the card just slightly, about 2MM to make the brace fit. I didn't like that so I just put the stock back on and I can control the stock fan. That's a real nice feature and fan. Wasted $27.99 on that useless Zalman Cooler.

With the case outside of the entertainment center its in now, it doesn't lower temperature at all. I even lowered the GPU speed from 750 to 720mhz for five minutes and the temperature did not lower at ALL.

I just opened up a ticked with XFX explaining in explicit detail what I am dealing with here. I also asked them how many times I can have this card replaced with it's lifetime warranty.

I have had no problem with my card yet. It's just over three months old, the same as the whole computer build. Runs everything perfect with no stutters at all.
m
l
Related resources
February 2, 2010 3:31:46 AM

Oh ya, the angle of the last pic looks like I had to shove the PC in to make it fit in its hole lols. There is actually at least 2 inches of headroom so it gets plenty of air.
m
l
February 2, 2010 3:33:49 AM

I took off the side that has the intake fan so it would not blow directly on the GFX card exhaust and possibly keep hot air on it. Still, no temperature drop. This leads me to believe that the temperatures being reached are from the parts that lie under the stock fan. Therefore, any noticeable temperature drop would only come from the stock fan blowing directly onto those parts.

My graphics card (and CPU) has Artic Silver thermal paste that I personally applied (yes, i removed the old thermal paste), twice. I made sure I had a perfect layer of it on before I put the stock fan back on. I even put the RAM heatsinks on the gfx card with thermal paste. You can c in the pix (they're blue) one is falling off lols. It's not really a problem at all though.
m
l
February 2, 2010 4:04:35 AM

this might seem obvious, but have you made sure the GPU fan is actually spinning?

Also, those stock temps are pretty high, even for the stock heatsink on the i7. It would seem your case is not receiving enough cool air...I would boot up with the side panel off and put your hand in different regions of the case to determine if there is adequate airflow.
m
l
February 2, 2010 6:41:01 PM

GPU fan is spinning.

I just ordered the 212 i7 cooler from Newegg for $30. I'm thinking that my GPU is heating my whole case up which is why my CPU is getting higher temperatures. 150 degrees Fahrenheit I would think is enough to heat it up pretty good. I'm going to sit it on the floor right now and let it run a while and c how the air flow does. I will then take off the side panel.
m
l
February 2, 2010 7:06:08 PM

Ok so I just took my computer out and set it on the ground with nothing obstructing the air flow. It went from 66C to 63C. Not really that big of a deal or difference to me. I took the side off and the temperature stayed the same for five solid minutes. I then blocked the PSU fan from blowing directly up at the GPU fan that is blowing down, the temperature did not change at all. There is tons of air flow in my case. My room temperature is always 74-76 Fahrenheit. That could be a reason it's so high.

So if I were to lower my room temperature to a normal 68-70F, and take my PC out of its prison now, it should lower the overall temperature by 6C. Thats a nice difference. I can't really do anything about my room temperature though in Winter because my house has a new super efficient boiler system that produces a lot of heat without any dust. My basement floor is also heated :( .

Well I will eventually be getting a different graphics card maybe the 5770. That idles at 35-45C. A nice big difference and its crazy quieter compared to my GPU fan now. The new CPU cooler coming in should future proof my system and let me overclock in the future if needed.
m
l
February 2, 2010 7:08:19 PM

Check the voltage of my i7 in the pic above. Is that normal? I had to manually set it in BIOS, along with fan speed, which I set to max. I also used the manufacturer's speed timings for my RAM.

I want to also mention that I'm using aero or whatever windows 7 calls it (i think it's called Aero just like Vista) on my 42in lcd screen in 1920 x 1080p resolultion. I wonder if that pushes the graphics card a little more even while idling at desktop.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 2, 2010 7:31:05 PM

Try flipping the power supply upside-down if you can, like these guys.

http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=760&page=5

I can't be 100% sure, but I think that case (like a lot of cases with the PSU resting at the bottom) is designed to have the big fan on the power supply facing downward, so it pulls air up from underneath the case, not down from inside the computer. On every power supply I've heard of, the big fan is an intake, not an exhaust, so it shouldn't be "blowing hot air" up into the case.

So anyway ... try that and see if it helps. My suspicion is that the big fan on your PSU is pulling air downward and thereby fighting the airflow created by the other fans.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 2, 2010 7:38:01 PM

I agree with capt_taco. The PSU fan is an exhaust fan, it sucks air and blows it out the back of the case. It doesn't blow hot air "directly up at the GPU". I've seen a lot of people put the PSU in with the fan facing up and it doesn't make any sense to me. Like capt_taco said, that way it messes up the airflow inside the case. I've always mounted the PSU with the fan pointing down and they get plenty of air since they're spaced up off the bottom of the case.
m
l
February 2, 2010 9:37:52 PM

I'll try to do it right now. I'm already maxed for cable length but it really shouldn't matter.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 2, 2010 9:46:58 PM

It looks like your GPU is venting its heat inside the case; it's hard for me to tell, but it looks like there is no 2nd-slot heat exhaust. If true, then your fans are blowing the GPU heat up to your CPU and MOSFETS, which is contributing to your CPU temps (your HDD temps s are fine).

Your CPU voltage and temps are ok based on pics and your environment description, so you could probably do nothing and be ok, but you want to reduce them, so:

I don't see an easy/cheap way to reduce the temps:
1) you could replace the GPU with a dual-slot card that vents out the back of the case,
2) add another high-volume exhaust fan to vent through the rear card slots under the GPU, and/or
3) replace your two front intake fans with larger or faster or higher-volume fans.

PSU fan: I'm not sure flipping the PSU will help with cooling (it would help with hiding power cables) - the up-facing PSU fan is an intake to cool the PSU, and flipping it could impede the PSU cooling airflow.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 2, 2010 10:08:39 PM

treefrog07 said:
PSU fan: I'm not sure flipping the PSU will help with cooling (it would help with hiding power cables) - the up-facing PSU fan is an intake to cool the PSU, and flipping it could impede the PSU cooling airflow.

Yeah, but for that case, it says there's a vent on the bottom and feet that lift it a couple inches off the floor so air can be pulled in from underneath. I'm thinking that's supposed to be in case you orient the PSU fan-side down.

I agree, that is a weird looking GPU cooler, and it doesn't look like there's any place for the heat to go except right back into the case. If the PSU orientation doesn't help, I wonder if a PCI slot cooler would make a difference?

Although with that, you'd also run the risk of exactly the same airflow problem, if the PSU was indeed causing an airflow problem.
m
l
February 2, 2010 10:13:00 PM

Lols it was upside down because the text was upside down.
I put PSU face down now and it gave me more cord length so the inside of the case looks even nicer. Still no temperature drop though. The PSU is on the little feet that raise it about half and inch and the PSU fan sucks in air.
m
l
February 2, 2010 10:13:39 PM

The PSU does indeed suck in air.
m
l
February 2, 2010 10:14:30 PM

I wonder... if i could take off the dang plastic cover on the HD 4870. Leave the heatpipes and fan etc. but take off the red plastic shield with the design on it.

Hopefully new cooler: Link will cool my CPU to normal temperatures or even below. If it does, then I will be getting a 5770 in three weeks since they are much much cooler and quieter.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 2, 2010 10:50:49 PM

That Hyper 212+ cooler is known as one of the best for that price range, so hopefully you'll see a noticeable improvement over the stock fan. Intel stock fans are pretty crappy for any intensive gaming purposes.

Before you spend $150-$200 on a 5770, you may want to pick up something like this for under $10 and put it directly under the graphics card to see if it'll blow out the heat:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 2, 2010 11:13:36 PM

Here's another temporary solution. OK, now, don't laugh, but I did this before I actually did some serious cable mgmt, and removed the 80mm fan and added a 120mm top rear exhaust fan. Yeah, it just dangled there blowing additional air across the top of the GPUs and out the back (no, I don't get out much to LAN parties, that thing weighs a ton.)
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2010 7:17:11 AM

I'd let it out of that cave you got it living in :p 
In a small space like that any air it pulls into the case is more than likely going to have come out the other side not long ago, I.E. still warm air, I use a pci slotfan directly under my graphics card fan to help keep that cool, If you cant free the beast from its home, how about liquid cooling?
my rig lives under my desk but theres good allround clearance for air to move round it, another idea strikes me, whats on the outside of the left side of that cabinet? I'm seeing a pc sized hole in the wood to the left there and sit pc so the rear panel is facing out the new hole, but then I'm mad enough to do something like that lol :p 
m
l
February 17, 2013 7:06:27 PM

Best answer selected by newfireorange.
m
l
!