Should I use pre-applied paste or Arctic Silver 5

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Arctic
  • Silver
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
October 9, 2012 7:12:26 PM

I am building a new gaming PC and plan on overclocking my CPU. My new processor is the I7 3770k and I have a CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series cooler. I have also ordered a tube of arctic silver 5. My question is should I remove the pre-applied paste from the heatsink and put on the arctic silver or use what is on there already.

Also, if I should remove it what is the best way to do so.

More about : pre applied paste arctic silver

a b K Overclocking
October 9, 2012 9:06:38 PM

if you already ordered it then put the as5 on, and 90%+ alcohol and paper towel (i use 70% alcohol and that works as well)
m
l
October 9, 2012 11:13:35 PM

I would use the stock TIM at first to see how evenly it spreads. This will make the good stuff last longer. :p 
m
l
October 10, 2012 2:06:11 AM

Im not really worried about making it last, I just want the best possible cooling for my system right from the start. Does the AS5 work better than the stuff that comes with heatsinks?
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
October 10, 2012 3:30:52 AM

Did you buy the H60 yet?
m
l
October 10, 2012 9:37:55 AM

GamerGraphicsTV said:
Im not really worried about making it last, I just want the best possible cooling for my system right from the start. Does the AS5 work better than the stuff that comes with heatsinks?

You'll have to experiment to find out because every rig, cpu and heatsink combo will have its own challenges. I recommend using something that is not silver based, if more than a thin layer is required.
m
l
October 10, 2012 10:55:13 AM

amuffin said:
Did you buy the H60 yet?

yes it is coming with everything else
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
October 10, 2012 12:56:33 PM

1) Reason amulfin asked about the H60 is that it is not one of the better H2O coolers. Infact if memory serves me correct several of the Better air HSFs are better.

2) Ignore comment magikherbs comment about the Silver based AS5. The While Silver, as a metal, is a electrical conductor, AS5 is NON-Conductive. he is correct, as with all Coumponds it is best to use a THIN layer, to thick will A) will be squeesed out on to the board and B) Is less effective. Ideally it is to fll the imperfections between the surfaces and reduces both oxidation and electrolitic action between dissimular metals that can reduce heat transfer.

3) the temperature differencial between the Better HSF compounds is only a few degrees. While AS5 is high on the list and probably the most popular, it is not the best.

4) In most cases I replace the "provided" paste with AS5. An Yes, Use plain old rubbing alcohol (prefer 90 Percent as it has 20% less Water. I prefer to use a linit free cloth to remove. For aplication on a FLAT bottom I generaly "smooth" out evenly with my finger using a latex glove.
October 10, 2012 4:08:07 PM

RetiredChief said:
1) Reason amulfin asked about the H60 is that it is not one of the better H2O coolers. Infact if memory serves me correct several of the Better air HSFs are better.

2) Ignore comment magikherbs comment about the Silver based AS5. The While Silver, as a metal, is a electrical conductor, AS5 is NON-Conductive. he is correct, as with all Coumponds it is best to use a THIN layer, to thick will A) will be squeesed out on to the board and B) Is less effective. Ideally it is to fll the imperfections between the surfaces and reduces both oxidation and electrolitic action between dissimular metals that can reduce heat transfer.

3) the temperature differencial between the Better HSF compounds is only a few degrees. While AS5 is high on the list and probably the most popular, it is not the best.

4) In most cases I replace the "provided" paste with AS5. An Yes, Use plain old rubbing alcohol (prefer 90 Percent as it has 20% less Water. I prefer to use a linit free cloth to remove. For aplication on a FLAT bottom I generaly "smooth" out evenly with my finger using a latex glove.

Non conductive ? lol.. I'd like to see where you get this info. xD

Some parts makers will void your warranty if they find even the smallest trace of AS5 on your RMA'd gear.
m
l
October 10, 2012 4:08:12 PM

Best answer selected by GamerGraphicsTV.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 10, 2012 5:36:51 PM

magikherbs said:
Non conductive ? lol.. I'd like to see where you get this info. xD

Some parts makers will void your warranty if they find even the smallest trace of AS5 on your RMA'd gear.

it isn't conductive, it's capacitive
Quote:
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

i only know of conductive thermal paste that voids the warranty, and if you buy that stuff you should know what your doing b/c alot of it will eat through certain metals
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 10, 2012 5:38:22 PM

magikherbs - Straight from the Horse's Mouth. I normally make sure my facts are correct before inserting my foot into my mouth - LOL
Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
End quote. Ref: http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 10, 2012 6:02:58 PM

RetiredChief said:
magikherbs - Straight from the Horse's Mouth. I normally make sure my facts are correct before inserting my foot into my mouth - LOL

Thank you.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 10, 2012 6:33:10 PM

nna2 - ALL thermal paste that is not conductive is capacitive by definition.
Capacitor - Two conductors seperated by a insulator.
You demonstrate by using a screwdriver. Blade = Conductor, Plate), plastic Handle = Insulator, Your Hand (Bod) = 2nd plate. Turn lights out and hold close to a couple of KVs DC. You will see an arc. Pull screwdriver away from Voltage and bring other hand (finger) close to Blade and you will see the discarge Arc.
Before any one asks, Yes I've demonstrated this.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 10, 2012 7:08:04 PM

RetiredChief said:
nna2 - ALL thermal paste that is not conductive is capacitive by definition.
Capacitor - Two conductors sperated by a inslator.
You demonstrate by using a screwdriver. Blade = Conductor Plate), plastic Handle = Insulator, Your Hand (Bod) = 2nd plate. Turn lights and hold close to a couple of KVs DC. You will see an arc. Pull scredriver away from Voltage and brin othe hand (finger) close to Blade and you will see the discarge Arc.
Before any on asks, Yes I've demonstrated this.

Can we see pics of this demonstration?
m
l
October 11, 2012 2:37:41 PM

nna2 said:
it isn't conductive, it's capacitive
Quote:
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

i only know of conductive thermal paste that voids the warranty, and if you buy that stuff you should know what your doing b/c alot of it will eat through certain metals

RetiredChief said:

Is it just me or is Arctic Silver talking out of both ends ? lol This is obiously a marketing ploy to make the product appear to be safer to use.

Metal :love:  Electricity

If the high metal content of AS5 did not conduct electricity, it would not be possible for it to store the energy neccessary to become capacitor like in the first place. And.. it would be safe to paint the entire pcb with it.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 11, 2012 4:35:32 PM

^ Please take electronics 101.

Metals are conductive, However if each molecule of silver is coated with a NON conducitve material, it is not conductive. Or explanation #2, If the Silver is in the form of an oxide, it again is NON conductive. ie Ag is conductive, AgO is nonconductive.

Re-read what I stated, or look up capacitance.

PS my credencials - taught electronic for 10 years, ran the electronics dept at a community college for 3 years, am currently a Senior Engineer for a Satellite Instrument. Any Yours???
m
l
!