Sign in with
Your question

Problems with AGP-based HIS Radeon HD3650

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 26, 2010 6:47:42 AM

I am having a very serious issue with an ATI card, specifically the HIS Radeon HD3650. I have a dual-processor Athlon MP 2800+ system (these are 32-bit only chips) running on a Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW motherboard with a 4X AGP slot. The Radeon card is also rated for 4X AGP.

When I try to install the card under Windows 7 (spare HD), it is able to install with the standard HIS drivers, but it appears to be unable to provide me with a dual-display setup. This is despite the fact that it is a dual-DVI card. In fact, it is only the right-most monitor which is active after any reboot, despite the fact that I am switching cables and DVI-to-VGA adapters around. And yes, both monitors work with my other three computers (I have a 4-port, dual VGA KVM that connects 4 computers to two monitors... and it's working just fine, thanks.) Whenever I try to go into dual-display mode, the system appears to be unable to see the left hand monitor, no matter what DVI port it is connected to on the card

When I try to install the card under Windows XP, the entire system locks up during the final stage of the driver installation, when the screen goes (well, it's supposed to only briefly go) black... in my case, instead of only being black briefly, it stays black permanently with a little white blinking cursor in the upper left. Doing a hard reboot reveals a system without any video driver installed (it failed). Leaving it in this state overnight makes no difference.

My entire graphics system is bilaterally identical. I am running identical monitors (HP LP2065) and I have switched this computer between KVM cables and KVM ports, to no avail. My other three machines (an nVidia GeForce 6800 under OpenSUSE 11.2, an AMD Radeon x850 under XP 64-bit and a PowerMac Quad running 10.5) can power both monitors without any problems. In fact, so could the machine in question before this particular card... when it was running an ancient ATI Radeon 7500.

The power supply is a nearly brand new, rather high quality CoolerMaster 460W with dual rails. Since I am not running anything more than a single HD and DVD burner in addition to the core parts, I seriously doubt that this is an issue. It also passed all voltage checks when I first installed it.

Suggestions?
January 26, 2010 7:37:11 AM

rekabis said:
I am having a very serious issue with an ATI card, specifically the HIS Radeon HD3650. I have a dual-processor Athlon MP 2800+ system (these are 32-bit only chips) running on a Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW motherboard with a 4X AGP slot. The Radeon card is also rated for 4X AGP.

When I try to install the card under Windows 7 (spare HD), it is able to install with the standard HIS drivers, but it appears to be unable to provide me with a dual-display setup. This is despite the fact that it is a dual-DVI card. In fact, it is only the right-most monitor which is active after any reboot, despite the fact that I am switching cables and DVI-to-VGA adapters around. And yes, both monitors work with my other three computers (I have a 4-port, dual VGA KVM that connects 4 computers to two monitors... and it's working just fine, thanks.) Whenever I try to go into dual-display mode, the system appears to be unable to see the left hand monitor, no matter what DVI port it is connected to on the card

When I try to install the card under Windows XP, the entire system locks up during the final stage of the driver installation, when the screen goes (well, it's supposed to only briefly go) black... in my case, instead of only being black briefly, it stays black permanently with a little white blinking cursor in the upper left. Doing a hard reboot reveals a system without any video driver installed (it failed). Leaving it in this state overnight makes no difference.

My entire graphics system is bilaterally identical. I am running identical monitors (HP LP2065) and I have switched this computer between KVM cables and KVM ports, to no avail. My other three machines (an nVidia GeForce 6800 under OpenSUSE 11.2, an AMD Radeon x850 under XP 64-bit and a PowerMac Quad running 10.5) can power both monitors without any problems. In fact, so could the machine in question before this particular card... when it was running an ancient ATI Radeon 7500.

The power supply is a nearly brand new, rather high quality CoolerMaster 460W with dual rails. Since I am not running anything more than a single HD and DVD burner in addition to the core parts, I seriously doubt that this is an issue. It also passed all voltage checks when I first installed it.

Suggestions?

Can you install the latest ATI drivers from the ATI site? To me it seems to be a driver problem.
Check the driver from ATI and post your results:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
m
l
January 26, 2010 7:49:15 AM

None of the ATI drivers are auto-recognized by Windows. Only the HIS ones are. Even when I force them, none of the ATI drivers work under either XP or Windows 7. I had tried this out when I was working on the card, just didn't think it was relevant to mention here.
m
l
Related resources
January 26, 2010 7:56:48 AM

rekabis said:
None of the ATI drivers are auto-recognized by Windows. Only the HIS ones are. Even when I force them, none of the ATI drivers work under either XP or Windows 7. I had tried this out when I was working on the card, just didn't think it was relevant to mention here.

I think you have incomplete driver installations that prohibit a new driver to be installed correctly. Use a driver cleaner tool (like Driver Sweeper) and in SAFE MODE, remove all the ATI components left. After that see if the current ATI drivers work.
And BTW, GG on the TB count! :o  14TB is a lot of HDD space.
m
l
January 26, 2010 8:20:24 AM

FYI, I disconnected the RAID array when attempting to install the driver. That may not have been entirely clear with my first post (a mention of only one drive and one DVD-RW attached).

And yes, I had made use of the driver cleaner. I even used the ATI driver removal tool, and did a full Ccleaner registry cleanup afterward. I even strip-searched the C: drive for any and all ATI files, and deleted them manually.

But even so, why the issue with the completely clean and untouched install of Win7? This was installed on a spare drive while this new card was installed. While it did work, it couldn't do dual-display, and threw up a whole host of inconsistent errors and behaviour.

Edited to add: I also checked out the card with Quick Tech Pro 2004 (software only) to check both the VGA and Video RAM. Both came back clean, without any errors. I was unable to determine how much of the RAM was tested, because these two tests are the only two which don't mention capacity tested... But suffice to say, the card appears to have clean and uncorrupted RAM.
m
l
January 26, 2010 8:26:16 AM

rekabis said:
FYI, I disconnected the RAID array when attempting to install the driver. That may not have been entirely clear with my first post (a mention of only one drive and one DVD-RW attached).

And yes, I had made use of the driver cleaner. I even used the ATI driver removal tool, and did a full Ccleaner registry cleanup afterward. I even strip-searched the C: drive for any and all ATI files, and deleted them manually.

But even so, why the issue with the completely clean and untouched install of Win7? This was installed on a spare drive while this new card was installed. While it did work, it couldn't do dual-display, and threw up a whole host of inconsistent errors and behaviour.

So, the cards dual display never actually worked since you purchase it? If that is the case then maybe you have a faulty card, because from the looks of it you tried almost everything I can think off.
m
l
January 26, 2010 2:25:32 PM

The reason the standard Catalyst Drivers won't work with your machine is that they doing have the AGP hotfix. Because of that, you're best sticking with the HIS drivers. Anyway, once you install and then try and uninstall some of the older catalyst drivers, they often leave junk behind. This can cause problems when trying a different driver version especially some of the AGP drivers from manufacturers that may use older files here or there to Jerry rig something together. Too bad the Omega Drivers aren't updated anymore

Anyway you may want to try these drivers

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/CatalystAGPH...

Currently the 9.12 drivers with the AGP hotfix are available, but of course, if they don't work for you, then it will be best to format that install to try an older driver set. Yeah it stinks, I know :D .
m
l
Anonymous
February 4, 2010 3:29:14 PM

I don't know if this is a related problem but i could do with some help. I have an ATI Radeon HD3650. It was working fine under Vista until I tried to use a second Monitor (it has dual head capabiliy).

It now periodically clabnks the screen, especially if I have something on the right side of the main screen (like sidekick).
I disabled sidekick and it got better but it randomly blanks the screen still.

So decided to update to the latest ATI drivers. This made it worse.

So uninstalled drivers and decided to upgrade to Windows 7. The windows 7 install uses Microsoft drivers. Updated these after the install.

Still keeps blanking out. Appears to be when something else is 'interupting' it.

Any advice?
m
l
February 5, 2010 5:42:42 AM

Okay, some more wierdness.

Have a client's computer with 8x agp so I decided to conduct a segway to debug this video card (my client isn't hurting for his machine just yet). Had to do a reinstall of Windows anyhow, decided to go with Win7 x64 due to the supported BIOS.

When I boot into the computer (all HIS drivers are successfully installed), only one monitor is seen and active (monitor "3", the one on the left). This is also the one which has "default monitor" as the name.

When I hit the "detect" button, I get monitor "2" suddenly becoming active. This is the one which is properly named as the HP LP2065. However, before I hit the "detect" button, I see a third monitor (#1) which is also properly named as HP LP2065. Any attempt to manually connect to it fails. As well, after the "detect" button I get a FOURTH "monitor", with the words "monitor not detected" inside it. I can only assume this is the HDMI port that exists between the two DVI ports.

And finally, upon reboot, only monitor "3" is still active. I need to do a detect on the monitors to have monitor "2" become active again, but it manages to do this without fail or complaint. A little annoying, but at least the card works as desired (in terms of providing a dual display).

So, why the disconnect between what the card sees as monitors, and what actually becomes active? I have #2 & 3 active, but it is #1 & 2 which are properly named as HP LP2065 (the model numbers of my two monitors). Why do I see four monitors (after clicking on "detect"), when there are only three ports on the card?

@Simonkeen - I haven't experienced this myself, but I'm just farking around with a client's computer for a few hours. Once I'm done testing the card, it's coming out so I can rebuild his 'puter properly (he has on-board video, which I disabled for this experiment). I haven't had any unexpected blanking of the screen yet, but if I see any unexplained and sudden blanking of the screen I'll be sure to make another post confirming it. If I were to suggest anything, it would be a clean install of Win7 (you said you upgraded) followed by the ATI drivers immediately after install. At least then, you can eliminate any upgrade-related and/or pre-existing issues concerning the card.
m
l
Anonymous
February 5, 2010 6:48:52 AM

I think I may have found the problem but still testing. This is all based on past observations and not fully tested but here goes.

When only one head has been used on the card it would appear that it isn't that bothered about which port you plug it into. However once it has seen 2 heads it does become bothered. I think at this point that the documentation is wrong. When I installed Winodws 7 it kept choosing what the monitor port the docs said was the secondary port and marking it as screen 1. Marking the otehr as screen 2. So I swapped the capables. It seems a lot happier now and shows my main screen as monitor 1.

I am guessing at this point but I reckon the screen blanking may have been related to it getting confused by having what it thought was only a monitor in the secondary port.

This is all SWAG at this point but I will up date when it has been running for a while.

PS I also see the extra monitor with the words 'monitor not detected' showing up as a 3rd monitor in Windows 7. I dont think I saw that in Vista.
m
l
!