Video Card upgrade for Dell XPS 420

nicL

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
I own a Dell XPS 420 w/ Quad Core Q8200 @2.33Ghz 6gb DDR2 RAM @ 800mhz with a 375 watt PSU. My current video card is crap. I have a ATI Radeon 3450 that I want to upgrade. Only issue is that the Video cards I want to buy all recommend PSU's with over 450 watts. DELL told me I could only upgrade my PSU to 425 watts??? Is this accurate? Would I blow out my motherboard or something if I purchase a higher wattage PSU? I am obivously not the most computer knowledable but I feel confident I can do the upgrade myself. I hope anyone with expert knowledge will provide some sound advise as Dell has been no help what so ever. I have spent hours going round and round. Their tech support rep knew less about computer components and their function than myself. The rep couldn't even answer basic motherboard specs for me so any advise would be helpful. I am hoping to purchase a mid to upper range GPU with the needed PSU to upgrade my system and just want to make sure I buy the best compatible choices. Any help would be so appreciated. Thank you. Nic

OK dell is full of you know what. You can put as big as PSU you want they probably only carry upso a 425 watt as a replacement upgrade. You will be able to use most low mid range cards with 375 watt I had a 9800GT on a 350watt PSU which was a dell PSU in my parents Dell studio something and it worked without a problem. Go to the link in my sig for a full list of cards and how much power they really need. Usually those specs are very over inflated.

Tell me your budget and I can suggest a few things and point you in right direction.

Just as an example for what Would fit nice in there and would be a good match to the Q8200 is.

Radeon HD 5770
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102873&cm_re=HD_5770-_-14-102-873-_-Product

Corsair 450 watt
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003

This will fit your system nicely and will be very well balanced.

nicL

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Many Thanks to all who replied. Also thanks for the reference to the Radeon HD 5770. Looks like a GPU in that range will suit my needs just fine. Also glad to hear that my current PSU is suitable and that I do not need to buy a new one for now. I will wait for "my dream system" and build it per my own specs next time instead of another Dell or other brand's. Much appreciation. NicL.

TRENDING THREADS