Sign in with
Your question

Which SATA port to use for my new SSD?

Last response: in Storage
February 2, 2012 12:53:13 PM

Hi,

I have just ordered an SSD, because my old WD10-EADS has just died for no reason. The SSD I've ordered is a Crucial M4 128GB 2.5'. I'm most likely receiving it tomorrow. But I am not sure which SATA port to use on my motherboard. My motherboard has a total of 8 SATA ports. My motherboard is an Asus P8Z68-V Pro.

Dark blue: SATA6G_E1 and SATA6G_E2
White: SATA6G_1 and SATA6G_2
Light blue: SATA3G_3, SATA3G_4, SATA3G_5 and SATA3G_6

It's obviously that I connect the 15 pin power connector from my PSU to the SSD. But what about the SATA port? Which one do I use?

Btw, I'm also using a CD/DVD RW drive, I'm having it connected to the dark blue SATA port, is that correct or doesn't it matter at all? It's working fine btw...

Thanks in advance!

Arjen

More about : sata port ssd

a c 101 V Motherboard
a c 317 G Storage
February 2, 2012 2:27:55 PM

White: SATA6G_1 (actually light gray I think) -- that is the Intel SATA III first port. The light blue is the Marvell SATA III controller that I understand is not as fast as the Intel. The dark blue are all SATA II and is correct for your DVD drive.
February 2, 2012 3:30:27 PM

RealBeast said:
White: SATA6G_1 (actually light gray I think) -- that is the Intel SATA III first port. The light blue is the Marvell SATA III controller that I understand is not as fast as the Intel. The dark blue are all SATA II and is correct for your DVD drive.

Ok, thanks for you answer. So... which one do I use for my SSD? Cuz that was the question...
Related resources
February 2, 2012 3:33:30 PM

Oh, and btw, I read on the internet of the Crucial M4 128 GB specs, that it's got Marvell as the SSD controller, so that would be the light blue SATA ports on my mobo. But, the Intel ones (light gray) are faster, so does it matter that I put it into the Intel (light gray) SATA port?
a c 101 V Motherboard
a c 317 G Storage
February 2, 2012 4:02:15 PM

arjenboerdijk said:
Ok, thanks for you answer. So... which one do I use for my SSD? Cuz that was the question...

Like I said above -- White: SATA6G_1

You should use the White: SATA6G_1, which is on the Intel SATA III controller.

edit: and set your bios sata mode to AHCI before doing your OS re-installation.
a c 101 V Motherboard
a c 317 G Storage
February 2, 2012 4:04:04 PM

arjenboerdijk said:
Oh, and btw, I read on the internet of the Crucial M4 128 GB specs, that it's got Marvell as the SSD controller, so that would be the light blue SATA ports on my mobo. But, the Intel ones (light gray) are faster, so does it matter that I put it into the Intel (light gray) SATA port?

The Marvell controller in the SSD is a totally different issue than the onboard controller on the motherboard. All SATA III SSDs will perform better on the Intel SATA III controller.
a b V Motherboard
a c 523 G Storage
February 2, 2012 4:07:45 PM

You want to connect your SSD to Intel ports SATA6G_1 or SATA6G_2 in AHCI mode for maximum performance.

The Marvell SATA 6Gb/s port controller on your motherboard does not perform as well as the Intel SATA 6Gb/s port controller.

!