Sign in with
Your question

IMPORANT: Intel Core i7 3770k overclock problem

Last response: in Overclocking
October 9, 2012 10:28:15 PM

I recently built a computer with an Intel Core i7 3770k processor, 32 GB or RAM, Asus P8Z77-V motherboard, and just normal cooling fans that came with the case and processor. I a fairly new to overclocking but I know the basics and I cannot get my processor to go past 4.4 Gz while others have gotten up to 4.8 with the same motherboard and processor (http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/05/24/asus_p8z77v_l... ||| http://youtu.be/UCIWTX-jy9A).

I am really not sure if something is wrong with my processor, I don't have a good enough cooling system, or I am actually doing something wrong. The steps I followed were 1. Going into the BIOS 2. Disabling CPU speed spread 3. Setting CPU ratio to 4.6 or 4.5 4. Setting voltage to 1.275 5. Setting CPU Pll to 1.9V.

Am I doing something wrong here? Please respond ASAP and I would also like to know what would be considered unstable while running a torture test with Prime95. Is lag while dragging tabs considered unstable while the CPU is running at full throttle?

Thanks
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
a b å Intel
October 9, 2012 11:10:49 PM

So you're overclocking with the stock Intel cooler?

If so, that's a big no-no. You definitely should not do that, especially with an Ivy CPU.

Set everything back to stock and leave it there until you can get a good aftermarket cooler. You'll need one of the best ones to get to 4.8 and and nearly one of the best to get to 4.5.

If I were you, I'd settle in at 4.3 because a Hyper 212 Evo can handle that and it's cheap enough that it won't break the bank. After that, you're talking about spending nearly $100 to get to 4.5 and beyond.

Also, a little lag while stress testing is normal. You're running the CPU flat out, so you should expect some lag. But no, that's not instability.

Instability is BSOD's and hard locks.
m
l
October 9, 2012 11:18:48 PM

Thank you so you dont think I should overclock it at all with the stock fan? I am planning to get a new fan soon but is the fan what is causing the system to crash at 4.5Ghz? For now I will reset the CPU to default until I get better fan I just wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with my CPU.
m
l
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
a b å Intel
October 9, 2012 11:25:52 PM

Yeah, you should definitely set everything back to default for now. Never attempt to OC with the stock cooler. Only bad things can happen.

The instability (if it crashed or BSOD'd) was probably because it didn't have enough voltage, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was temperature throttling, since you were using the stock cooler. When you add voltage to Ivy chips, the heat gets way out of control very quickly.

Nothing is wrong for now, but there would have been if you had kept trying to OC with the stock cooler. You would have ended up severely shortening the lifespan of the CPU by burning it up.
m
l
October 9, 2012 11:38:17 PM

Ok I've only been running overclocked for 24 hrs but I reset everything. I am ordering a new fan soon so it should be able to overclock it then. The one weird thing is that I did F5 in the Bios (to reset to stock) and saved the settings but when I run a torture test in CPUz I am clocking in at 4.1Ghz which is slightly above turbo-boost speeds. Is something wrong? I reconfirmed the bios settings and it says the default for CPU Power is "Manual" which apparently (in this BIOS) causes the CPU speed to adjust by itself as well as the voltage. There are also three settings on this BIOS (Power saver, Balanced, and High Performance) and I am running on High Performance. Should I not be doing this with the stock fan either? Sorry for all the questions I am very new to overclocking.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
a b å Intel
October 9, 2012 11:39:57 PM

The "High Performance" setting is why. If you set it back to "Balanced" it should be back to normal.

Edit: High Performance should be ok with the stock cooler, though, but watch the temps very closely.
m
l
October 9, 2012 11:43:37 PM

What would be considered "too high" in terms of temperature?
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
a b å Intel
October 9, 2012 11:46:36 PM

pr0xyhacker said:
What would be considered "too high" in terms of temperature?

85-90C is when it starts to get dangerous, although it'll throttle at 105C to keep you from killing it. Most people, including myself, like to stay under 70C when stress testing for absolute safety.
m
l
October 9, 2012 11:52:44 PM

I'm in the 60s right now so high performance should be fine. Thank you so much because if you hadn't told be about the fan I probably would have ended up frying my CPU.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
a b å Intel
October 9, 2012 11:53:18 PM

You're welcome. :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 13, 2012 2:09:09 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
You're welcome. :) 

Dbl thanx - as I would prob have done something similar with my i5-3570k (stock fan/heatsink) when I get my new GPU approx 2 weeks
from now.

Tom
m
l
October 17, 2012 6:45:14 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
85-90C is when it starts to get dangerous, although it'll throttle at 105C to keep you from killing it. Most people, including myself, like to stay under 70C when stress testing for absolute safety.

When you say 85-90ºC, I'm assuming you're referring to the CPU socket temperatures, and not the core temperatures, right? The core temperatures will automatically throttle at Tjmax = 105ºC - but the CPU temperature will be lower, obviously.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
a b å Intel
October 17, 2012 6:48:25 AM

evilqueens said:
When you say 85-90ºC, I'm assuming you're referring to the CPU socket temperatures, and not the core temperatures, right? The core temperatures will automatically throttle at Tjmax = 105ºC - but the CPU temperature will be lower, obviously.

No, I meant the core temps, and you're right that it'll throttle at 105C, but damage (even to the cores) starts well before that point, if it's left at that temp for long periods.

You should really never let the CPU temp get much over 75C.
m
l
October 17, 2012 6:52:42 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
No, I meant the core temps, and you're right that it'll throttle at 105C, but damage (even to the cores) starts well before that point, if it's left at that temp for long periods.

Ah, I see. So that CPU socket temperature is pretty much useless! Oh well, I was pushing some very modest overclocks (around 4.2GHz) on a stock cooler and saw my temperatures hit around 80ºC for the cores. Arguably, I could have lowered my voltages significantly, because I left them at stock settings and my motherboard was being retarded and feeding them like 1.256V. That probably would have given better results.

Anyway, I guess it's time to put that NH-D14 I have sitting on my desk into my build :p 
m
l
!