Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sapphire Radeon 6850 overclock

Last response: in Overclocking
October 9, 2012 11:02:28 PM

I was able to get 955 core clock, but while playing on battlefield 3 960 crashed and froze for a bit causing graphical things to be a bit messesd up. Skype lost its cool looking background until i restarted it. I got my memory up at 1150 stable for a bit, then i tried 1175 and saw artifacts almost instantly. My decision so far is to leave it at 930 Core and 1125 Memory. 930/1125 This is also all stock voltage and i would like to keep it this way.
What do you think about this?
October 10, 2012 12:41:54 AM

Well am running my 7770 with 1100/1250 at no problem but when i increase one of them display driver start crashing if you really want some help on overclocking add me on skype : jam3scool.
m
l
October 10, 2012 12:54:31 AM

so you've got a 100/125 overclock im on a 155/125. Are you runnning that stock voltage?
m
l
Related resources
October 10, 2012 3:20:44 PM

Nitto888 said:
so you've got a 100/125 overclock im on a 155/125. Are you runnning that stock voltage?

Almost certainly not.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 10, 2012 3:41:19 PM

I run my Sapphire 6850 at 980 / 1190 (205 / 190 over). That's Furmark stable @ 1 hour with no artifacting and stock voltage. Your particular board might just not OC well. It's never crashed on me while playing or anything. You might have just gotten a bad OC'ing board.
m
l
October 10, 2012 8:10:38 PM

By board do you mean the graphics board or mobo? And basically what i would like to know is if 960/1175 is where i finally crash what should i run my clocks at?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 10, 2012 9:11:21 PM

Sorry, by board I mean GPU. They're not all equal. Their is someone on Overclockers that got to 1ghz GPU on stock air and voltage. It just depends on your card.

What programs are using to OC & stress test?

What's your GPU temps @ idle & load?

What exact 6850 are you using? Link please.

Edit: When I was overclocking my Sapphire Radeon 6850 it crashed to desktop @ 990 and I saw artifacts @ 985. I had screen tearing @ 1195 mem.

When you OC'ed did you increase each one separately? Start with your core, go up 20, then another 20 and another until it crashes, then back off 5mhz at a time until it's stable with no artifacting. Then reset the core to stock and do the same with the memory. Then when you have your max OC for each then you OC both at the same time. That's your stable OC.

I use Sapphire Trixx to Overclock and Furmark to stress test. Furmark puts a 99-100% load on the GPU and Memory, better than any game.
m
l
October 11, 2012 12:48:18 AM

dscudella said:
Sorry, by board I mean GPU. They're not all equal. Their is someone on Overclockers that got to 1ghz GPU on stock air and voltage. It just depends on your card.

What programs are using to OC & stress test?

What's your GPU temps @ idle & load?

What exact 6850 are you using? Link please.

Edit: When I was overclocking my Sapphire Radeon 6850 it crashed to desktop @ 990 and I saw artifacts @ 985. I had screen tearing @ 1195 mem.

When you OC'ed did you increase each one separately? Start with your core, go up 20, then another 20 and another until it crashes, then back off 5mhz at a time until it's stable with no artifacting. Then reset the core to stock and do the same with the memory. Then when you have your max OC for each then you OC both at the same time. That's your stable OC.

I use Sapphire Trixx to Overclock and Furmark to stress test. Furmark puts a 99-100% load on the GPU and Memory, better than any game.

Im using Sapphire Trixx and msi kombustor to stress test
Idle temp is like 35-45 Load temp is usually under 70 for games and i hit like 72C max on kombustor

Sapphire 6850: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I increased core first like 10 mhz at a time every 5 mins playing battlefield 3 then stress tested after i found max clock
Then memory like 25 at a time because when i dont go 25 at a time it goes into like 1116.9 instead of 1120
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 1:08:51 AM

935 core 1125 mem isn't too bad. It's an Overclock of 170 / 125. We have the exact same Video Card, yours just might not be able to OC that well. Your temps are great, nothing to worry about there.

Edit: I just looked at your PSU in your sig, it's stronger than mine, no issue there. I'm going with your GPU just isn't that great of an OC'er

In fact our systems are darn near identical (I went Intel you went AMD), so are our sigs...interesting...anyways.
m
l
October 11, 2012 1:12:22 AM

dscudella said:
935 core 1125 mem isn't too bad. It's an Overclock of 170 / 125. We have the exact same Video Card, yours just might not be able to OC that well. Your temps are great, nothing to worry about there.

Edit: I just looked at your PSU in your sig, it's stronger than mine. I'm going with your GPU just isn't that great of an OC'er

Lol i just added my signature followed yours same order.
I was able to run 955/1150 fine but i thought it was too high or would artifact as im not sure if im seeing artifacting or it was just battlefield 3's lightning
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 1:16:38 AM

Don't use games. Download Furmark, it's much better. Put it on 1080p full screen benchmark and watch for little black dots. If you don't see any at the end of the benchmark run it indefinitely and go watch tv for 30 minutes, come back and check.

If it's still running and theirs no artifacts let it run for another 30 minutes, go watch tv and come back. If it's still running your GPU is completely stable.

Furmark is to GPU's as Prime95 is to CPU's. If their's anything wrong with your OC both programs WILL find them.
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 1:20:16 AM

One other thing just occurred to me. What version of CCC are you using? If you're not using 12.8 download them. Shouldn't make any difference but I'm just trying to cover all the bases.
m
l
October 11, 2012 1:20:41 AM

dscudella said:
Don't use games. Download Furmark, it's much better. Put it on 1080p full screen benchmark and watch for little black dots. If you don't see any at the end of the benchmark run it indefinitely and go watch tv for 30 minutes, come back and check.

If it's still running and theirs no artifacts let it run for another 30 minutes, go watch tv and come back. If it's still running your GPU is completely stable.

Furmark is to GPU's as Prime95 is to CPU's. If their's anything wrong with your OC both programs WILL find them.

Ok I dont think i need to overclock any higher but ill go with Furmark to test 930/1125
Another question sinse you are using trixx also.
What settings do you use because i find without restore clocks on it set the clocks to default because the clocks are higher than catalyst allows, and my clocks idle at mid clocks like 300/1125 running it hotter at like 50 for idle. I leave both trixx and catalyst open. Trixx for my custom fan profile and clocks im guessing it should be left open for, and catalyst because its like the driver.

So what do you do about catalyst and trixx conflicting with eachother and does your gpu idle high also mid clocks?
m
l
October 11, 2012 1:24:03 AM

dscudella said:
One other thing just occurred to me. What version of CCC are you using? If you're not using 12.8 download them. Shouldn't make any difference but I'm just trying to cover all the bases.

Good with 12.8 CCC
m
l
October 18, 2012 1:26:37 AM

Best answer selected by nitto888.
m
l
!