1333Mhz & 1600Mhz memory!

Hi everyone, i'm planning to buy a new crosair 4GB memroy kit, but i'm pretty confused between the 1600Mhz and 1333Mhz, and i'm wondering if the cpu it self supports the 1600, and if i should overclock to support it, or its originaly supported without overclocking
My processor Athlon II X4 630 (upgrading to Phenom II x4 955)
Mobo 790GX (upgrading to 890GX : if necessary)
Thank you everyone!
16 answers Last reply
More about 1333mhz 1600mhz memory
  1. Hello.

There is really no performance difference between running the RAM at 1333MHz compared to 1600MHz. The reason to buy 1600MHz is if you are heavily OCing. When you OC the CPU (unless you've got an unlocked multi like the 955) you also change the frequency the RAM. You can lower the multiplier but there is a point where to OC the CPU you have to push the RAM faster than its rated. And obviously this point is much higher with 1600MHz than it is with 1333MHz. Get it?

1600MHz is not required for OCing if you have an unlocked multiplier like the 955. Therefore you do not require it unless maybe if you are going to OC your 630 like crazy before you get your 955.

Also I suggest getting G.Skill Ripjaws instead of the Corsairs. They are very nice and Corsair seems to have higher prices just because of their name.

And you don't need to upgrade to the 8XX chipset as that is only for the X6's. Even then you can just flash the bios on your 790 to support them anyway so don't upgrade your board.

Also are you sure you require a 955 at this point in time? Bulldozer (AMD's new CPUs) are coming out soon and will support AM3. So if you don't "really" need it, it would be nice to hold of a little and then have a processor that will stay high end for a long time.

Hope that helps, good luck.
  2. Try reading this article from about a year ago.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-ddr3,2319.html
  3. Wolygon said:
    Hello.

There is really no performance difference between running the RAM at 1333MHz compared to 1600MHz. The reason to buy 1600MHz is if you are heavily OCing. When you OC the CPU (unless you've got an unlocked multi like the 955) you also change the frequency the RAM. You can lower the multiplier but there is a point where to OC the CPU you have to push the RAM faster than its rated. And obviously this point is much higher with 1600MHz than it is with 1333MHz. Get it?

1600MHz is not required for OCing if you have an unlocked multiplier like the 955. Therefore you do not require it unless maybe if you are going to OC your 630 like crazy before you get your 955.

Also I suggest getting G.Skill Ripjaws instead of the Corsairs. They are very nice and Corsair seems to have higher prices just because of their name.

And you don't need to upgrade to the 8XX chipset as that is only for the X6's. Even then you can just flash the bios on your 790 to support them anyway so don't upgrade your board.

Also are you sure you require a 955 at this point in time? Bulldozer (AMD's new CPUs) are coming out soon and will support AM3. So if you don't "really" need it, it would be nice to hold of a little and then have a processor that will stay high end for a long time.

Hope that helps, good luck.

hey, thanks for your answer and for your suggestions, and i've done alot of searching, but the problem i got that Gskill memory is better supported by intel, i even mailed gskill techsupport and they didnt recomment their memories for AMD systems!!!
  4. The links are for the exact same item. Also, look for 2x2GB kits (two 2GB sticks in one package) instead of buying two separate 2GB sticks. It's usually at least a few bucks cheaper.

Like these kits.
  5. Hey glad I could help.

Huh I didn't know there was any problem with the G.Skills, I did a bit of a search and it doesn't seem to be a problem often. Someone even said that it was the old RAM and now it is fixed, but still there is doubt so I would no suggest you go with them.

The first RAM you listed was only 2GB, were you going to buy 2 of them or only get 2GB? The other set is fine however both are 1600MHz.

I thought the whole point of this thread was to figure out whether you needed 1600 or 1333. I clarified that 1600 was not in any way necessary as the 955 has an unlocked multiplier.

If this is your budget then I'd suggest go for 1333MHz RAM with lower timings. Timings are much more important for performance. But if you want to save the money heres a nice set of Corsair 1333MHz with C9 timing (bad) which aren't to expensive:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145278&cm_re=4gb_ddr3_1333-_-20-145-278-_-Product

Low latency (timings) "C7" RAM is shown below ($10) more, this would be my choice:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226113&cm_re=4gb_ddr3_1333-_-20-226-113-_-Product

Hope that helps.

[EDIT]
    I also wanted to know why you had to buy some/more RAM?
  6. Thanks alot, well currentlyi have a 2Gigs of Ram and wanted to upgrade to 4G, but then i thought i might be better to go for 1600Mhz
    Bty, i heared that there's a problem with low timing like Case 7 with AMD,
    For some people bought it and only worked at 8!!!
  7. Usually a voltage issue. Most are at 1.65 but will default to lower from what I understand. You would have to manually set the timings in the BIOS.
  8. I did a search on this didn't find much about it, maybe it was a voltage issue as above said. But theres not much performance to be had so just grab some high latency.

Do you not understand why 1600MHz in not important. Re read what I said previously and ask me what you don't understand. If your RAM is 1333MHz then just grab a new stick the exact same or similar, there is not point to 1600MHz.

If you don't undertand something ask.

Thanks.
  9. Yeah, a lot of mobo will scale back the 1.65 voltage RAMs, thus lowering the Frequency and timings. You'd have to go into the bios and manually set the voltage, frequency and timings to get it to run at the RAMs listed speed.
  10. Wolygon said:
    I did a search on this didn't find much about it, maybe it was a voltage issue as above said. But theres not much performance to be had so just grab some high latency.

Do you not understand why 1600MHz in not important. Re read what I said previously and ask me what you don't understand. If your RAM is 1333MHz then just grab a new stick the exact same or similar, there is not point to 1600MHz.

If you don't undertand something ask.

Thanks.

The thing is i'm gonna oc my current cpu, and i'm gonna need the 1600 for that, even if i didnt wait for the bulldozer and had the phenom, i'm gonna oc it 2!, so i think a powerfull ready ram with good heatsink is gonna be good for that?
    what do you think?
  11. 1600MHz is not required for OCing, it is only really required for EXTREME OCing. I would recommend getting 1600MHz, as it is not much more expensive, if you didn't have the old stick already but it is a waste as you already have it.

--------

I'm unsure on how AMD systems work but this is how my i3 works. The default base clock is 133MHz, the memory has a default multiplier of 10 (10x133=1333MHz) and the processor has 22 (22x133=2.93GHz). Now if I increase the base clock to OC the processor the RAM will raise above 1333MHz which would eventually loose me stablility. Though the memory multiplier is variable with the lowest setting possible being 6.

So to OC the processor with 1333MHz RAM I lower the memory multi to 6 or 8 so that the memory doesn't get OCed. Now when you need 1600MHz RAM is when you have the memory multi at 6 yet if you increase the base clock anymore it will go over it.

Are you following so far?

Now to figure out when this point of having to have 1600MHz RAM occurs. 1333/6=222. This is the max base clock I am able to reach without pushing the RAM past its spec. But at what processor speed is this base clock needed? 222x22=4.9GHz.

Also you talked about getting a 955 BE. These are called "Black Edition" for a reason, it would in the above example allow me to change the CPU multiplier above 22x and leave the base clock at 133. Therefore NO need for 1600MHz RAM even past 4.9GHz.

Conclusion to the discussion:
    For my 1333MHz RAM to become a limit to my OC I would need to reach a processor speed of 4.9GHz. If you haven't noticed this is a very high speed :).

So I'm not saying its the same for AMD but I'm sure its similar (don't quote me on that :D), you will run out of cooling, bravery or gain some sense before the 1333MHz limits you.

Hope you understand that. Note that I wrote all that so that you would learn some stuff not just to show you that 1600MHz was not needed, I could of done that in 3 lines.
  12. Very nice post Punkinator. Thanks for the info.
  13. Thanks alot man for your effort, and i think i got you, and i think i'm gonna keep my current rams, so what about the cas latency, my current is 9, isnt that a bit slow, i mean would it make a difference 9 from 8, what do you think?!
    sorry man if i bother you, i just would like to understand this clearly!
  14. Hey glad you understand. Theres not "much performance difference between C9 and C9, you won't see the difference. Like theres probably a MAX of 10% performance increase if your using some memory intensive programs.

I was looking for some reviews which I saw a while back but couldn't find them, theres not much thats been done on RAM latency vs performance for some reason.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Overclocking Product